Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Mercedes Benz AMEX co-branded cards, [discontinued January 2019].

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 29, 2016, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: krazykanuck
Existing Benz Platinum cards will be converted to regular Platinum cards on Jan. 11, 2019 per a letter sent to all cardholders.

The Platinum Card from American Express Exclusively for Mercedes-Benz

60,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $5,000 in purchases in the first three months
$550 Annual Fee, not waived

https://www262.americanexpress.com/dapply/partner/preacq/mbz/mbz-019/carddetails#/cshop
__________________________________________________ _____________

[EXPIRED]75K special offer:

https://www262.americanexpress.com/a...card/012/16580

See published restrictions below. #1 is enforced. #2 is not:
  1. Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product.
  2. This offer is not valid for existing Platinum Card Members from American Express. You are eligible to receive points for only one Card account.
Print Wikipost

Mercedes Benz AMEX co-branded cards, [discontinued January 2019].

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by seetohey
Someone posted in the comments section (Bobby) just a few days ago in that doctorofcredit link that they did not receive the sign-up bonus because presumably they already had the regular Plat. I also watched one of the Ask Sebby Youtube videos and in the comments Sebby noted that he's never heard of anyone having issues getting the SUB when going from regular -> cobrand, but he has heard of people going from a cobrand plat to regular of not receiving the SUB.
Bobby and Sebby, SMH.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
AMEX Mercedes Ending Relationship [2019]

Doctor of Credit is noting that AMEX and Mercedes are cutting ties come Jan 2019. Noted in the fine print when signing up for either card is

Please note that the American Express and Mercedes Benz Card program will end in January 2019. Applicants can continue to apply for the Platinum Card from American Express exclusively for Mercedes-Benz, but, if approved, the Card will be replaced with a different American Express Card at the time when the Card program ends.
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/merce...-points-bonus/

I never had any of these cards, but this kills the Mercedes Platinum card as a "unique product" to the Platinum lineup.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 7:16 am

Programs: AA, UA, SPG, BA, HH
I had regular platinum card before and closed it half year ago.
will I get the bonus offer for this benz platinum card? I never have benz card before.

thank you for the help
Old Mar 3, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by facehu
I had regular platinum card before and closed it half year ago.
will I get the bonus offer for this benz platinum card? I never have benz card before.

thank you for the help
Yes. They are considered different products. Along with other flavors of the Platinum Card as well (Schwab, Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sachs, etc.).
Old Mar 3, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
Best approach if you've never had the personal plat card?

Many of us had the biz plat card. Would you be able to convert this Benz personal plat card to the Biz plat card before Jan 2019?
Old Mar 3, 2018, 2:13 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
No conversion path between personal and Business types.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 3:58 pm

my personal plat card is coming up for year 2 renewal this month. Because I got a retention offer in year 1 renewal, I'm guessing I'm getting no retention offers for this year. Will I be able to "convert" my personal platinum to this card and still get the current 60k bonus? (first time ever applying to the MB Plat card). Or will I get some base bonus offer?

I'm just trying to plan whether I should just get this card now and cancel my personal plat when the fee hits.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 4:07 pm
mia

Originally Posted by mdosu
.... Will I be able to "convert" my personal platinum to this card and still get the current 60k bonus? ....
You will need to apply for the personal Platinum to qualify for a bonus.
mdosu likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by mia
You will need to apply for the personal Platinum to qualify for a bonus.
thanks for the reply. Generally, will there be any benefits or offers given for "converting" from one personal plat card from another personal plat card?
Old Mar 3, 2018, 4:27 pm

DOC also noted this:
  • This offer is not valid for existing Platinum Card Members from American Express.
So does this mean I can't apply for the Mercedes Benz platinum if I have the personal platinum? No one seems to know for sure and there are no recent data points, even though typically they are considered "different products" and this wouldn't matter.

Last edited by PumpkinSmasher; Mar 3, 2018 at 6:27 pm
Old Mar 3, 2018, 4:28 pm
mia

Originally Posted by mdosu
....Generally, will there be any benefits or offers given for "converting" from one personal plat card from another personal plat card?
Generally such a conversion is not possible. I cannot say if American Express will proactively offer anything in this specific transition, or if they will treat it the same as any other retention transaction. It does not appear that they are doing anything to retain or convert Fidelity Platinum cardholders.
mdosu likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PumpkinSmasher
DOC also noted this:
  • This offer is not valid for existing Platinum Card Members from American Express.
So does this mean I can't apply for the Mercedes Benz platinum if I have the personal platinum? No one seems to know for sure and there are no recent data points, even though typically they are considered "different products" and this wouldn't matter.
I'm in the same situation as well and would like to know this as well
Old Mar 4, 2018, 9:11 am
mia

Originally Posted by PumpkinSmasher
...[*]This offer is not valid for existing Platinum Card Members from American Express.
This language has been in the offer terms for a few years. It has not been enforced. (See Wikipost at top of this thread.) It could be enforced, but we don't have any reason to believe practice has changed.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by mia
This language has been in the offer terms for a few years. It has not been enforced. (See Wikipost at top of this thread.) It could be enforced, but we don't have any reason to believe practice has changed.
Good to know. You're the expert, so I have complete trust in your opinion. I will apply soon and will report back here once I do.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 2:25 pm

Additional data point

I previously had an Amex Platinum card

Closed it last year, opened the Mercedes variant of the Platinum card last month and still got the 60000 point bonus
PumpkinSmasher likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.