Last edit by: mia
Print Wikipost

Member Since ...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2009, 4:45 am
zaf

Programs: HH Gold VIP, BonVoy Gold, BAEC Gold, AmEx Platinum, Visa Infinite
Originally Posted by Aaron01
What does the Member Since date say on your supp card? The same as your father's first card or the same as the year the card was issue?
No it doesn't. The current supp card is dates 2009 (it was issued a couple of months ago)
Old Apr 15, 2009, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by friedice
So do U have to have the oldest original account still open in order to change the newer accounts to that oldest 'memeber since' date?
Nope. Amex will keep it on file for you.
Old May 29, 2009, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA gold MM, HH gold, SPG gold,
Tried calling Amex to see about changing the date on my card. They checked...don't have records available from the early 70's. I cancelled my original card before 1980 for certain. Chances of my having something at home with the old account # are probably zero. Oh well.
Old May 29, 2009, 3:37 pm

Interesting thread. I currently have 3 Amex cards, and they all show different "Member Since" dates:

-Personal Gold '00
-Platinum Credit Card '07
-Business Gold '09

Never thought twice about it because I did not think it made a difference.
Old May 30, 2009, 1:47 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
As noted by others, the 'member since' feature is useful for establishing a credit history.

I first opened a UK Amex in 2001, used global transfer 2008 to get US-issued Amex. My US cards also say 'member since 2001' and this is reflected on my credit file -- which was a huge help, since my credit score before that was essentially zero and then jumped to 700s! It does also note that my credit history pre-dates my SS number.

However, my wife's supplementary cards all say member since 08 (I just checked).

My understanding from this thread is that we could call Amex and have that amended to 01: in which case, she should get a big boost on her credit score (she got her first account in 2006). Should we call regular CS?

tb
Old May 30, 2009, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by trueblu
Should we call regular CS?
Yes
Old Jan 2, 2010, 6:03 pm

Programs: *A
Member Since year

Opened my first Amex account a week ago. Received the card today and it says "Member Since: '10" While this is a trivial concern, I clearly opened the account in 2009. I'm sure AMEX has card stock that they just print the name on, but still. I don't like '10. I wanted '09. '10 is just..ugly?
Rant over.

EDIT: After inspecting the back of the card, the date at the very bottom (date cardstock was produced maybe?) says 09/09. Grrrrr
Old Jan 2, 2010, 6:21 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mwitiiram
... AMEX has card stock that they just print the name on...
I don't think that's the explanation because replacement cards will continue to show the original Member Since year. Is the year embossed (raised) in the plastic, or is it printed (inked) on the surface?
Old Jan 3, 2010, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
My US Amex's have my original date from the 80's. But my EU Amex's have newer dates. I'm guessing the systems are completely separate?
Old Jan 3, 2010, 11:22 am

Programs: Amex, JPMR, Nexus
Not true.

If you bring it to their attention, they will adjust the dates as well. I don't know if it matters from the credit reporting view though, cuz I don't know if Amex reports same way in the EU.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 2:01 pm

In direct answer to OP's question, it's more trouble than it's worth. This happened to be back in '06 and I tried doing the exact same thing. They ended up sending me a 'temporary' card with the correct 'member since' date that expired in the next month! So I ended up resigning to the fact that my card would always say the later date. Fast forward a few years, I needed a replacement card and requested one... and then magically the 'member since' date on the new card had the correct date.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 4:06 pm

I had an Amex card through work in the mid 90s, had it till about 2000, then didn't have one till I opened a personal account with them in the mid 00s. My card has the "member since" date from the mid 90s. I always thought that was kind of cool.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 6:20 pm

Programs: All Around Nobody
Originally Posted by SOhp101
In direct answer to OP's question, it's more trouble than it's worth.
If doing it can change your credit score for the better I don't see how that's more hassle than it's worth....
Old Jan 4, 2010, 8:27 am

Programs: Plat:US,DL (ex KL,AF,LX,LY) Gold:BA,VS (ex CO,UA).Plat.SPG,HGP Diam.HH. ICHG Plat RA. Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by Aaron01
If doing it can change your credit score for the better I don't see how that's more hassle than it's worth....
It has no connection to your credit score.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 8:39 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by S.Bling
It has no connection to your credit score.
Unless the date printed on the card is also the date that American Express reports to the credit bureau to determine the age of the account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.