Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Sign in using an external account

Old Mar 12, 09, 4:32 pm   #1
dru

Member Since ...

Just out of curiosity, I recently received my new AMEX card and my member since date is from this year. But, Iíve had the card back in í05 for a year. Shouldnít it state that Iíve been a member since í05? Has anyone encountered the same problem? If so, have you been successful in trying to change this date, thank you in advance.
dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 09, 4:57 pm   #2

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Amex Plat; AA-United-KLM
It's a renewal, correct?

You can call them and they'll correct it.

It's happened to me before on my SPG.
SectionChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 09, 7:38 pm   #3
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Who cares? It isn't like that is used for anything meaningful.

As for your status, it sounds from the post like you were a member and then you weren't and now you are again. In my mind the time you weren't means you lose the "since" date, but that's just me.
Old Mar 12, 09, 8:24 pm   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post

As for your status, it sounds from the post like you were a member and then you weren't and now you are again. In my mind the time you weren't means you lose the "since" date, but that's just me.
I would agree with sbm12. If you were only a cardmember in 2005 for a year, your new car does reflect your correct member since date.
TAHKUCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 09, 8:36 pm   #5

Quote:

Incorrect. Call Amex and have them change the date - they should have it on file. Your new card will report to the credit agencies as having been opened in 2005 with perfect history since then.
Old Mar 13, 09, 7:53 am   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelark View Post
Incorrect. Call Amex and have them change the date - they should have it on file. Your new card will report to the credit agencies as having been opened in 2005 with perfect history since then.
That is not correct. Each card will show its own open date on a credit report despite a Member Since Date. Have you check your credit report lately?
Old Mar 13, 09, 8:45 am   #7

Programs: US CP, SPG Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAHKUCT View Post
That is not correct. Each card will show its own open date on a credit report despite a Member Since Date. Have you check your credit report lately?
The previous poster is correct, at least in my case. All Amex accounts show my 'member since' date on my credit report as the open date, despite them actually being different. Provides a big bump to history and average age.
jghassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 09, 8:59 am   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghassell View Post
The previous poster is correct, at least in my case. All Amex accounts show my 'member since' date on my credit report as the open date, despite them actually being different. Provides a big bump to history and average age.
Very interesting. Before I posted, I pulled my credit report and it showed a specific open date for each of my 7 Amex accounts.
Old Mar 13, 09, 12:09 pm   #9

Quote:
Nope. I got My first AMEX in 2008, but my member since date is in the 90's since I had my dad add me as an AU on his card for 2 months in 2008 after I'd opened my accounts. My credit reports now show my personal AMEX as my oldest tradeline by many, many years (has an opening date that matches my member since date). I did this on purpose to "game the system" so to speak.
gamer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 09, 1:27 pm   #10

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Amex Plat; AA-United-KLM
Quote:
It is correct.

All my Amex cards on my credit report show opening the same year in 1994 though the months on each show differently. So if I opened an Amex card in 3/2003 it shows 3/1994 on my credit report. Another opened in 8/1997 will show as 8/1994 on the credit report.

I have more than one Amex card and this applies to all of them on my credit report.
SectionChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 09, 9:10 pm   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dru View Post
Just out of curiosity, I recently received my new AMEX card and my member since date is from this year. But, I’ve had the card back in ’05 for a year. Shouldn’t it state that I’ve been a member since ’05? Has anyone encountered the same problem? If so, have you been successful in trying to change this date, thank you in advance.
The same thing happened to me once when I opened/added a new account. At the time, I had a few other active/open accounts.

As others have posted, it is easy to fix. Just give AmEx a call, and they will back date your account to 2005 and send out a new card.

Edited to add: My credit report shows the same year (different months) for the open date for all of my AmEx accounts (closed and open) regardless of when they were really opened.

Last edited by WBOTM; Mar 13, 09 at 9:24 pm.
WBOTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 09, 3:09 am   #12

Programs: American Express Platinum, HHonors Diamond (earned), Aer Lingus Gold Circle, ex-UA,ex-NZ
Quote:
Not quite true. Others have noted that it affects the date on your credit file, which is true.

However from time to time there are promotions on Membership Rewards which give discounts based on length of membership. I seem to remember 10% for 10 to 20 years membership and 20% for more than 20 years.

These promos aren't frequent, but are not unknown.

(Member since 1987.)
Old Mar 15, 09, 7:47 am   #13
zaf

Programs: HH Gold VIP, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Prestige, AmEx Platinum, Visa Infinite
Question:

If the basic card is a member since 1980, and in 2009 he gives out a supplementary card will this card be member since 80 or 09?
zaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 09, 8:46 am   #14

Congrats on causing confusion. Member since date on card is only good for your own worthless personal satisfaction if you get any satisfaction belonging to amex. It has zero do with your credit report information and will only align to the first card you opened if you still have that card and number.
Centurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 09, 9:40 am   #15

Programs: United GS+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
Congrats on causing confusion. Member since date on card is only good for your own worthless personal satisfaction if you get any satisfaction belonging to amex. It has zero do with your credit report information and will only align to the first card you opened if you still have that card and number.
Sorry, but you are wrong. Member since date on Amex is the also the date that is reported to USA CRAs for all true Amex accounts. Amex is the only card that I know that does this.