Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex PERSONAL platinum 100k mr point sign-up bonus

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2011, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

people who are not recent applicants - what did you say to get the bonus?
Old Sep 1, 2011, 7:36 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Posts discussing the $200 airline benefit have been moved the established thread on that topic. It may be useful for all new Platinum cardholders to review some of the other information in the same thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ep-2010-a.html

There is also this thread, with a different focus:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-strategy.html

Last edited by mia; Sep 1, 2011 at 7:44 am
Old Sep 1, 2011, 3:15 pm

Does anyone know if the 100k expired at the end of August or is it still valid? This is meant for someone who hasn't applied for the card yet, meaning they would be applying on or after 9/1. Thanks.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by kstrait
Does anyone know if the 100k expired at the end of August or is it still valid? This is meant for someone who hasn't applied for the card yet, meaning they would be applying on or after 9/1. Thanks.
There's been several reports the expiration date is 09/02/2011 and several reports it is 01/12/2012. I don't know which (if any) of these dates is correct.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 3:40 pm

According to some people the 5748 offer is valid till Jan 2012. There was some talk about Amex cracking down on these codes but some people seem to be having luck.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by crimson12
According to some people the 5748 offer is valid till Jan 2012. There was some talk about Amex cracking down on these codes but some people seem to be having luck.
Do you think it would be bad to call CS and ask what the expiration date is of a particular bonus code? A lot of times they aren't listed on the actual flyer that comes in the mail so I think this would be a valid question.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 4:22 pm

I think there are working links for 50,000 bonus miles, which is a pretty good deal in itself. Do you not want to apply for 50k? Because the usual practice seems to be to apply for 50k and then call afterward to get the bump to 100k.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 4:58 pm

Do you think it would be bad to call CS and ask what the expiration date is of a particular bonus code? A lot of times they aren't listed on the actual flyer that comes in the mail so I think this would be a valid question.
I had no luck with this approach whatsoever - AmEx customer service pretty much declined to talk about Bonus IDs before I actually had a card in my hand. Tried twice (once before applying) the second time when the card was in the mail but didn't arrive yet. Certainly YMMV, but the fact that declined to talk at all not just didn't give out any specifics was pretty much a sign for me just to wait for the card.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I got my plat card in about February, with a 50K signup. A few months later I saw this thread, I called in and asked if I could get the 100K, and was told no. Well, it didn't hurt to try.

About three weeks ago I got a 50K bonus. I have no idea why, and I am not about to ask. (Remember the Chance card in Monopoly "Bank Error In Your Favor - Collect $200." That's about how I felt.)

I don't know if this had to do with my request for the 100K, but I thought I'd share.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 8:51 pm

I already have the Gold Rewards card, and got bumped to 75k points after I received the card (2 months ago).

Just applied for the Platinum (25k referral link) and was instantly approved. How does this work with my current MR account when I go to ask for the bump to 100k? Do I create a separate account for the Platinum card, or just add it to my current account?

Figure they would be hesitant about giving me another bump (even though it's another card) if they see my MR account with the Gold Card and see that I just got a nice bump recently.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 12:05 pm

Has anyone had recently any luck with getting 5748 applied?

Several calls to Membership Rewards end even before mentioning Bonus ID - pretty much when I say I would like to have a Bonus ID applied to this account the answer is "no mailer - no bonus" in different variations.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 5:10 pm

I'm hoping this deal is still possible to get. I've had the card for a month and the big purchase I thought was going to go on it has been backordered, so I'm still waiting to hit the spend.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 7:08 pm

It seems like there hasn't been much of a problem having promo code notated on the AMEX account. Some folks are reporting MR NOT honoring promo code when calling 6 to 8 weeks later as instructed to. I have 2 more weeks before I call in so I will let you know whether I will receive them or not.

EDIT- received bonus miles for both Platinum and PRG within 4 weeks of spending

Last edited by metoo; Sep 5, 2011 at 6:18 am
Old Sep 3, 2011, 6:14 am

I got my card in early Aug. I sent about 5 SM asking for 5748 bump and was repeatedly denied. I tried to reason that I applied for the card because I thought I was getting 100K and now I have to pay a $450 annual fee which seemed unfair. The "Manager" replied that I signed up for a card with the annual fee waived so I kept that message. I then called MR and had a rep apologize because I was able to receive the 100K point offer.

So this past Monday I called and requested the points be expedited and the rep started ripping into me about whether I was targeted, how I found out, etc. I stopped her and said read the notes because the offer was already applied to my account. She placed me on hold for about 10 minutes and came back saying the promo is definitely on my account but she could not expedite the points. On Wed my annual fee posted. I replied to my SM saying I thought my fee was waived and was now confused. The response was one line, "I have processed a statement credit for $450.". Now I'm keeping my fingers crossed the bonus points post without any further calls like they said they will.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 6:22 am

is there a special link I need to use to sign up? or can I just sign up under any offer that I find, and then after approval, ask AMEX to apply the promo code to my account?

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.