Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum $200 Airline Credit Strategy? [Read message #1 before posting]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum $200 Airline Credit Strategy? [Read message #1 before posting]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2011, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by edweird
If you log into the AMEX site, and view Year To Date and apply a filter of Credits to transaction type, you should see the tag "AMEX Airline Fee Reimbursement" for the airline credits. You'll need to add them up, or remember to subtract the other credits from other sources from the total at the bottom.

If you got a credit for Global Entry it might say "T568:0001 $100 Statement Credit" but I'm pretty sure that's independent of the $200 yearly amount.

I've got 75% of mine unused, with 8 flights planned between now and the end of the year.
Thanks for the help... I looked... and I have some serious work to do! Only two more flights this year. Although I did notice two credits from award tickets that I reserved and later cancelled. I guess I could book a bunch of award tickets, pay the $7.50 fee with the AMEX, wait til the credit posts, then cancel the award ticket (with no fee as DL PM).
Old Dec 2, 2011, 1:42 pm

Location: DL MM & FC, Hertz Plat, Avis Pres Club, Nat'l Exec Elite, Hilton Diamond
BA Award Fees?

I searched the thread on BA and did not see any results. Has anyone cashed in BA miles, paid the high fuel surcharge and taxes, and been reimbursed the $200?
Old Dec 2, 2011, 1:44 pm
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by SteveHOU
I searched the thread on BA and did not see any results.
This would be because BA is not one of the eligible carriers.

You must register and choose an airline for this benefit. Start here to see the list of eligible carriers:

http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice

This is the original list. I think Virgin America has been added.

• Airtran
  • Alaska
  • American
  • Delta
  • Frontier
  • Hawaiian
  • Jetblue
  • Spirit
  • Southwest
  • United/Continental
  • USAirways

Last edited by mia; Dec 2, 2011 at 1:54 pm
Old Dec 3, 2011, 8:19 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Titanium
UA Booking fees

I signed up for UA, purchased a few itineraries, expecting to get the booking fees reimbursed but got nothing. Just got off the phone with AMEX and was told these are not reimbursable. Really?? I was under the impression that booking fees were reimbursable...

I know this was asked earlier for Delta, but, has anyone been successfully reimbursed for UA award accelerator?
Old Dec 3, 2011, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by AirD0c
I signed up for UA, purchased a few itineraries, expecting to get the booking fees reimbursed but got nothing. Just got off the phone with AMEX and was told these are not reimbursable. Really?? I was under the impression that booking fees were reimbursable...

I know this was asked earlier for Delta, but, has anyone been successfully reimbursed for UA award accelerator?
All of my booking fees were automatically reimbursed.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 9:12 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by keirnna
All of my booking fees were automatically reimbursed.
So I called amex again after your post. I had booked my trips through amex travel and cheaptickets. Amex claimed that the booking fees I was quoted were third party fees, not airline fees. I disputed this, as, for example cheaptickets clearly quotes a separate "service fee." In the end she reimbursed me for both trips, but said that I should book directly from the airline in the future as amex won't recognize imbedded airline fees from third party travel agencies. They need to see a separate charge appear on the statement. Of course then you don't get 2x points from amex travel...
Old Dec 3, 2011, 9:22 am

Programs: MileagePlus, AmxMR, SPG-Gold
Does anyone know if the fee's for transferring miles from United MP accounts qualify for the Amex reimbursement?

Thanks
Old Dec 6, 2011, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by jmanirish
Maybe this has been answered elsewhere in the thread...but is there a reason you did 4 X $50 and not just 1 X $200 (seeing as you said you did it in a single transaction anyways). Any help is greatly appreciated!

EDIT: Started digging and answered my own question...transactions <$100 have a better chance of being reimbursed. Going to do 2 x $100. Thanks!
There have been reports of 1 $200 charge/credit success, so it really is a YMMV kinda thing.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by jmanirish
Maybe this has been answered elsewhere in the thread...but is there a reason you did 4 X $50 and not just 1 X $200 (seeing as you said you did it in a single transaction anyways). Any help is greatly appreciated!

EDIT: Started digging and answered my own question...transactions <$100 have a better chance of being reimbursed. Going to do 2 x $100. Thanks!
I think that the lower the better. I would buy 4x50, and not all the same day.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 4:16 pm

I had $80 in credit left, bought a $100 gift card online 12/2, $80 reimbursed 12/5.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
Originally Posted by dkauf
Can anyone confirm that purchasing UA/CO Economy Plus upgrades on existing reservations qualifies for the credit?
Not sure the official rules, but I had a $19 E+ credited automatically at the 72 hour window. As always, YMMV, lower cost is better.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by arcticbull
Not sure the official rules, but I had a $19 E+ credited automatically at the 72 hour window. As always, YMMV, lower cost is better.
Thanks. I rolled the dice on this for 2x E+ upgrades for a flight this weekend and got the credit with 72 hours! Still have $120 to burn...guess I'll be having a few cocktails on the flight!
Old Dec 7, 2011, 2:23 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by arcticbull
I've had all of those automatically reimbursed.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 12:57 pm

Programs: many
If you booked an award flight and used the card toward the cost of the fees and taxes, would this qualify toward the credit? sorry if I missed the answer. Since tickets are a no-no, what about just the fees and taxes?

I understand a change fee is covered.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 1:08 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by pcharles
If you booked an award flight and used the card toward the cost of the fees and taxes, would this qualify toward the credit? sorry if I missed the answer. Since tickets are a no-no, what about just the fees and taxes?

I understand a change fee is covered.
In my experience, the answer was always "yes."

Keep in mind that depending on your circumstances putting the fees and taxes on your AMEX Platinum may or may not be a good idea. For instance, I have no status with United/Continental but have their CC, which waives the first bag fee for up to 8 passengers traveling with me (until December 31, 2011, that is). All I had to do was put the $5/ticket tax charge on their CC. In my case, I am better off paying the $5/ticket and getting luggage charges waived then putting it on AMEX Platinum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.