Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2011, 12:15 pm

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
So mia,
- If I have an MR account via my Small Biz Gold,
- then open a Personal Plat for the 50,000 points
- and link that Personal Plat to my current MR
- then after a year cancel the Personal Plat but still keep my Small Biz Gold
- all the points I earned including the 50,000 from the Personal Plat will still be safe in my MR account and not be taken away?
Old Feb 13, 2011, 3:41 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mrkymark
If ...then...and...then...all the points I earned including the 50,000 from the Personal Plat will still be safe in my MR account and not be taken away?
Yes
Old Feb 19, 2011, 10:23 am

Programs: Aeroplan;KLM;UA
Originally Posted by mrkymark
So mia,
- If I have an MR account via my Small Biz Gold,
- then open a Personal Plat for the 50,000 points
- and link that Personal Plat to my current MR
- then after a year cancel the Personal Plat but still keep my Small Biz Gold
- all the points I earned including the 50,000 from the Personal Plat will still be safe in my MR account and not be taken away?
I recently canceled one of 2 AMEX Canada gold cards.
Canceling the card de facto canceled all my MR points, even though I was told this would not be the case (anticipating this, I had transferred the bulk of my points to Aeroplan, before canceling the card).

When canceling, I was assured that all points in MR would remain, attached to the remaining Gold card. Previously the 2 cards were linked, with the one I was canceling showing points earned on both cards (on my online accounts page).

10 days later : still MR points = 0.

Phoned again, a CSR, said she would take care of it.

A week later; still MR points=0.

Phoned again, was about to cancel my cards; was awarded 5k points as compensation & my old points reinstated.

Frankly, not worth my time on the phone.

Last edited by JeffersonCampervan; Feb 19, 2011 at 10:28 am
Old Jul 11, 2011, 8:09 am

Programs: AA, BA, UAL, NZ, QF, LH, SPG, IHG, HH, Marriott etc etc
missing 20k sign up bonus

on a similar note, my 20k Gold bonus has not been credited 7 months in due to some AMEX confusion over them automatically linking my new gold to my old corporate green MR account. Firstly I was assured all codes were properly set up and it would be seamless and credited in 48 hours on the due date, then a month later it was "oh you are a previous cardholder (corporate) and the MR team blocked the bonus" (I have never received an AMEX sign on bonus before), and a month later we are still waiting. I am pleased to note that 5000 points compensation appears to be a benchmark, but as noted this is a time-hungry pain in the neck. I have a very confident sounding agent in Brighton working on resolving the problem , but sadly it seems he is also getting bounced from pillar to post internally.

I wonder how many others have had to chase their missing 20k bonuses.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by ssanto8403
I searched the forum and didn't see an answer to my question so here goes.
Is it possible to get the AMEX Gold membership reward card with the first year free then transfer the points to an airline/hotel rewards program and cancel the card before the fee is due. Is there any chance of losing the points once they are transferred if the are not used before cancelling the card. Has anyone been able to do this?
The reason I am asking is because the Thank You Network is now deducting the points you earned if you cancel your credit card.
I think if you cancel towards the end of the first year, you should be ok, especially if you call them and try to get them to waive the second year fee and they say no. But if you cancel like 3 days after getting you points, you may get claw back., even from the AIrlines. This has happened with TD Ameritrade

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.