Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transfer AMEX Rewards then cancel card

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2010, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Transfer AMEX Rewards then cancel card

I searched the forum and didn't see an answer to my question so here goes.
Is it possible to get the AMEX Gold membership reward card with the first year free then transfer the points to an airline/hotel rewards program and cancel the card before the fee is due. Is there any chance of losing the points once they are transferred if the are not used before cancelling the card. Has anyone been able to do this?
The reason I am asking is because the Thank You Network is now deducting the points you earned if you cancel your credit card.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 8:48 pm
nsr

From my own experience, you only forfeit unused points, thus points you already transferred are safe in your airline/hotel account. As for Thankyou points, you do indeed lose the points on your TYP account if you close the sponsor account. But then again if you actually use the points to issue a reward (transfer from the credit card to your TYP account is not considered a real transfer), there will be nothing to lose.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

TYN is removing points for any credit card cancelled, not just the sponsor account
Old Feb 2, 2010, 9:19 pm
nsr

Originally Posted by ssanto8403
TYN is removing points for any credit card cancelled, not just the sponsor account
Each credit card that earns you TYP and is linked to your TYN account IS a sponsor account. If you close that (sponsor) credit card the points earned from it will be removed from your TYN.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 10:28 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, BA, CO, UA, US, B6, DL, Amex MR, HH
Once AMEX transfers its MR points into another program, I don't believe that they can transfer them back - to AMEX it's as if they've been spent. If, however, there's a credit on your account and requires the debit of points, you'll have a negative number in your MR account, which you'll have to pay for if you close your account at that time (I think at $0.025/point).
Old Feb 3, 2010, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 11:13 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum 3mm, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by nsr
From my own experience, you only forfeit unused points, thus points you already transferred are safe in your airline/hotel account. As for Thankyou points, you do indeed lose the points on your TYP account if you close the sponsor account. But then again if you actually use the points to issue a reward (transfer from the credit card to your TYP account is not considered a real transfer), there will be nothing to lose.
I am confused. Are you saying that if I get the AMEX Rewards Gold card with the sign up bonus and then cancel the card after one year, I lose the sign up bonus?
Old Feb 3, 2010, 3:09 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, BA, CO, UA, US, B6, DL, Amex MR, HH
If you don't use them, then yes, once you cancel the card, your MR membership will end approx. 30 days after closing the card, and all points still left in the account will be lost.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 4:52 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by dinosims
If you don't use them, then yes, once you cancel the card, your MR membership will end approx. 30 days after closing the card, and all points still left in the account will be lost.
But, to be clear, if you transfer them to an airline, you will have "used" them.

The key is to quit all new spending 3 months before the renewal to make sure that you can transfer all MRs prior to canceling.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 9:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Passport Platinum, IHG Platinum and Club Carlson Gold
Good thread. Because I will not be able to transfer MR points to Southwest after 07/01/10 I intend to cancel my Premier Rewards card before the annual fee is due. I will stop using the card about three months before the annual fee is due and transfer all my MR points to my Southwest before cancellation. I would have kept the card if AMEX and Southwest remained partners.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 6:40 am

Wow thanks, useful thread, I didn't know that and I will soon be in that situation.

If I transfer AMEX points to Aeroplan, how long does it usually take?
Old Feb 4, 2010, 6:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jeanmichel
If I transfer AMEX points to Aeroplan, how long does it usually take?
It is generally immediate.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 4:14 pm
Company Representative - Amex

Hi ssanto8403,

If you transfer the points before you cancel the card, you will not loose the points. You can also transfer the points to another Amex charge card product should you choose a card that better suites your needs. Our website enables you to compare card features and benefits to find one that fits your style and budget. http://www.americanexpress.com/getthecard/home

I hope this helps!

Warm regards,

Kim
Amex Customer Care
Old Feb 4, 2010, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum 3mm, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by jw3putt
I am confused. Are you saying that if I get the AMEX Rewards Gold card with the sign up bonus and then cancel the card after one year, I lose the sign up bonus?
I did not fully explain my situation. I had a Green Amex card and then in addition I got the Rewards Gold card so I could keep different types of charges seperate. The Gold card membership rewards are transferred into the original MR account that goes with the original Green card. Two cards, one MR account. Given this situation, IF I feel the need to cancel the Gold card, are the points generated by the Gold card safe within the "dual" MR account or will there be an attempt to back out the Gold card contributions?
Old Feb 4, 2010, 6:51 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jw3putt
IF I feel the need to cancel the Gold card, are the points generated by the Gold card safe within the "dual" MR account ...
Yes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.