Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 6, 2018, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Airlines Club History and Background

Background

The Admirals Club was the first of the airline VIP clubs. In 1936, the commercial aviation industry had few strong supporters and American Airlines Chairman C.R. Smith (1934-1968) wanted to recognize them (and recruit them as advocates of air transport). He began naming honored passengers and friends of the airline by coining the term "Admirals" in keeping with the designation of the airline's planes as the "Flagship Fleet."

"Admirals of the Flagship Fleet" were presented with nicely printed certificates attesting to their status (in keeping with the "Kentucky Colonels" who never were) framed and ready to be proudly displayed on one's office or Board Room wall.

(The AA fleet was named "the Flagship Fleet" early on, in a nautical theme that carried over to the uniforms pilots now wore and their rank - Captain and First Officer, aided in those days by an Engineer, Radio Man, Navigator as necessary. When the low wing twin engine all metal monocoque DC-3 came online, it was named the "Flagship" aircraft (Flagship Detroit at the C. R. Smith Museum is an example), and on the ground each Flagship flew a four star "Admirals' Pennant" from the starboard cockpit window.)

New York - La Guardia Field opened in the 1930s and AA was a prominent early tenant, relocating its hangars and offices from Chicago. (Pan American became the tenant at the Marine Air Terminal, and TWA was also a main tenant.)

Original American Airlines Admirals Club History, removed from the AA pages since the US Airways reverse takeover:

"In 1939, American decided Admirals deserved a special place to relax before or after a flight. The original Admirals Club shared a space in the just-opened New York LaGuardia Airport with Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia. Press criticism of the mayor's large, well-equipped offices had prompted him to offer to rent out the space. American Airlines representative Red Mosier immediately accepted the offer and the private airport club was born. Ironically, when the papers were drawn up for the club's liquor license, a judge refused to grant the name "Admirals Club" on the grounds the public might think it was a facility for Navy admirals only. So the club was initially called the "Flagship Club" until the legal hurdles were overcome.

In the early years, membership in the club was solely at the discretion of the airline's sales people. Memberships were given to frequent fliers or VIPs. In keeping with the nautical theme, the club's receptionists were called "skippers" and bartenders were called "stewards."

The airline's second club was at Washington's National Airport and opened with the airport in 1939. Located in a "dry" area, the club was prohibited from selling alcoholic beverages. For a nominal fee, however, the club stored bottles for its members. When the Virginia liquor law changed in 1970, so did this club policy. At one point, the club had more than 9,000 bottles stored. Many bore the names of powerful U.S. politicians.

A change in Admirals Club membership eligibility was made in 1967 when American established an open policy of accepting dues-paying members – a policy that remains in effect today.
Paid airline lounge Club membership came about after the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was enacted. Admirals Club was somewhat like CK in that membership was granted by sales personnel to AA to VIPs who were generally influencers of air travel (legislators, corporate heavyweights, etc.) and sparse of people of color, etc. US airlines established a paid membership system any member of the public was able to purchase, choosing not to change to a scheme more commonly used abroad wherein class of service is an admission criterion regardless of domestic or international routing.

The dues in 1967 were $25 per year, or $250 for a lifetime membership. Almost all Admirals at the time decided to pay the fees and retain their memberships.

Today, all persons 18 and over can purchase an Admirals Club membership. Pricing for Admirals Club memberships is based on the customer's tier level in the American AAdvantage membership program. Pricing ranges from $450 or 60,000 AAdvantage miles annually for a new Executive Platinum membership, to $550 or 85,000 miles annually for a regular membership. Membership is also provided to holders of the Citi/AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard ($450 annual fee). One-day passes are available for $59 each.

The clubs were designed to simply provide a quiet haven away from the clamor of the airport terminal. Today they also offer flight information for American and American Eagle as well as a host of amenities that significantly differentiate the travel experience. There are now over 40 Admirals Clubs at 36 airports in the American Airlines system. These include(d) Atlanta; Austin; Bogotá; Boston; Buenos Aires; Caracas; Chicago O'Hare; Dallas/Fort Worth; Denver; Honolulu; Kansas City; London-Heathrow; Los Angeles International; Mexico City; Miami; Nashville; New York-Kennedy; New York-LaGuardia; Newark; Orange County (Calif.); Panama City (Panama); Paris; Philadelphia; Raleigh-Durham; Rio De Janeiro; São Paulo; San Diego; San Francisco; San Juan (P.R.); Santiago, Chile; Santo Domingo; St. Louis; Tokyo Narita; Toronto; Washington D.C.-Dulles; and Washington, D.C.-Reagan. <extract> "

Link to archive

Unfortunately, the new American has deleted its online Official Admirals Club history page at: https://www.aa.com/i18n/amrcorp/corp...alshistory.jsp

Link (now not working) to Point Me to the Plane brief article and AA photos at early LGA

Link to PDF history of New York - LaGuardia International Airport (NYC Aviation)

The 01 Aug 2009 American Way in flight magazine had an article by then-CEO Gerard Arpey on Admirals Club history in the Vantage Point column. You can read an online version of the August 1, 2009 American Way magazine article here (not working) or see post #3.

Print Wikipost

Admirals Club History, Logo, Name

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2015, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by eric_n_dfw
Jumping into a very old thread here, but I just found this in a box of my late fathers stuff and thought it might be bit of interesting nostalgia to add. My dad didn't seem like the type to go have such a thing framed and matted, is that how AA sent them out back then?

Thank you! I had one of these and remember how excited I was to receive it. (I was much younger then.)
Old May 15, 2015, 3:50 am

Admiral club started1939.it conceved by c.r smith for marketing promotion.first its located on la guardia airport.I WANT ADMIRAL CLUB LOGO IMAGE
Old May 15, 2015, 9:03 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by ATHIRA.C.S
Admiral club started1939.it conceved by c.r smith for marketing promotion.first its located on la guardia airport.I WANT ADMIRAL CLUB LOGO IMAGE
Uh, welcome to FlyerTalk.
AAway likes this.
Old May 15, 2015, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by ATHIRA.C.S
Originally Posted by JDiver
Uh, welcome to FlyerTalk.
lollll.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Wiki edited to reflect current membership rates, removal of 30 day pass, and addition of Citi MC membership.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 5:42 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
My dad has my Grandfather's Admiral of the Flagship Fleet Letter framed in our basement:

JDiver, njvandy and Pasqualle7 like this.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 4:39 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
“A change in Admirals Club membership eligibility was made in 1967 when American established an open policy of accepting dues-paying members”

The government deemed that US airports, which receive federal grants, could not have any facilities that were not open to all. The change was spurred by the civil rights movement of the time. The airlines were told either to close the clubs or open them to all.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by CMK10
My dad has my Grandfather's Admiral of the Flagship Fleet Letter framed in our basement:

That's that's a really cool document. I don't mean this in a disrespectful way, just curious: since it looks from the wording that before membership in the club was available to the general paying public it was something American awarded for one's service and contributions to development of the air transpirtation industry... So what was your your grandfather's role in the industry do you know?
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:54 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
That's that's a really cool document. I don't mean this in a disrespectful way, just curious: since it looks from the wording that before membership in the club was available to the general paying public it was something American awarded for one's service and contributions to development of the air transpirtation industry... So what was your your grandfather's role in the industry do you know?
He was actually not in the transportation industry. He was an engineer originally with the US Army then in the private sector with GTE. He traveled frequently and spent several years living overseas on long term contracts. We also have his Clipper Club Membership and Ambassadors Club Membership letters framed too.
JDiver likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 11:58 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
Simewhat similarly to how Concierge Key designations are made, Sales was the department responsible for identifying and inviting Admirals of the Flagship Fleet. While we know the original members were those identified as those with high potential for advocacy and contributions to the new (at the time) air transport industry, there were undoubtedly other criteria added (very frequent premium class flyers, corporate heavyweights, influencers of travel, etc.) but we’ll not likely ever know of all the criteria Sales used.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 10:49 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Anyone know the brand of the rainshower heads in the DFW Admirals club, terminal A. This would be before the remodel. Early 2000’s? They were great because they would surround you but wouldn’t get your head wet. So you could stand under it and still breath. It would hit your shoulders. Normal large rain shower heads that are a couple of feet in diameter have jets along the entire surface.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by EXPLAT
Anyone know the brand of the rainshower heads in the DFW Admirals club, terminal A. This would be before the remodel. Early 2000’s? They were great because they would surround you but wouldn’t get your head wet. So you could stand under it and still breath. It would hit your shoulders. Normal large rain shower heads that are a couple of feet in diameter have jets along the entire surface.
I don't know the brand name. But, I have to say the old showers (RIP) in the DFW Terminal A AC remain my absolute favorite of any airline lounge in the world (even better than the CX F Wing/Pier showers, IMO). I used to commute through DFW almost weekly from 2005-2007, and always looked forward to using that AC's mini gym and then a nice long shower there.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jun 25, 2021, 6:56 am

Yes they arrived already framed. Mine is the same as your dad's.

. My dad didn't seem like the type to go have such a thing framed and matted, is that how AA sent them out back then?
[/QUOTE]
Old Jun 25, 2021, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, National Car Executive Elite
I'm curious, with all of the new airport terminals built in the past 20 years, which Admirals Club is the oldest one operating from the same location in the same terminal building? I'm wondering if it might be the St. Louis club (re-opening next month) which goes back to its day as the TWA Ambassador Club or if it is the club in the soon to be demolished LGA terminal, or O'Hare HK? They were all in place before I became an Admirals Club customer.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 11:51 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
I don't know the brand name. But, I have to say the old showers (RIP) in the DFW Terminal A AC remain my absolute favorite of any airline lounge in the world (even better than the CX F Wing/Pier showers, IMO). I used to commute through DFW almost weekly from 2005-2007, and always looked forward to using that AC's mini gym and then a nice long shower there.

-FlyerBeek
Ditto. I tried to recreate the effect with a 2’ rain shower head in a recent bathroom remodel but came away underwhelmed. I really miss those showers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.