Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 6, 2018, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Airlines Club History and Background

Background

The Admirals Club was the first of the airline VIP clubs. In 1936, the commercial aviation industry had few strong supporters and American Airlines Chairman C.R. Smith (1934-1968) wanted to recognize them (and recruit them as advocates of air transport). He began naming honored passengers and friends of the airline by coining the term "Admirals" in keeping with the designation of the airline's planes as the "Flagship Fleet."

"Admirals of the Flagship Fleet" were presented with nicely printed certificates attesting to their status (in keeping with the "Kentucky Colonels" who never were) framed and ready to be proudly displayed on one's office or Board Room wall.

(The AA fleet was named "the Flagship Fleet" early on, in a nautical theme that carried over to the uniforms pilots now wore and their rank - Captain and First Officer, aided in those days by an Engineer, Radio Man, Navigator as necessary. When the low wing twin engine all metal monocoque DC-3 came online, it was named the "Flagship" aircraft (Flagship Detroit at the C. R. Smith Museum is an example), and on the ground each Flagship flew a four star "Admirals' Pennant" from the starboard cockpit window.)

New York - La Guardia Field opened in the 1930s and AA was a prominent early tenant, relocating its hangars and offices from Chicago. (Pan American became the tenant at the Marine Air Terminal, and TWA was also a main tenant.)

Original American Airlines Admirals Club History, removed from the AA pages since the US Airways reverse takeover:

"In 1939, American decided Admirals deserved a special place to relax before or after a flight. The original Admirals Club shared a space in the just-opened New York LaGuardia Airport with Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia. Press criticism of the mayor's large, well-equipped offices had prompted him to offer to rent out the space. American Airlines representative Red Mosier immediately accepted the offer and the private airport club was born. Ironically, when the papers were drawn up for the club's liquor license, a judge refused to grant the name "Admirals Club" on the grounds the public might think it was a facility for Navy admirals only. So the club was initially called the "Flagship Club" until the legal hurdles were overcome.

In the early years, membership in the club was solely at the discretion of the airline's sales people. Memberships were given to frequent fliers or VIPs. In keeping with the nautical theme, the club's receptionists were called "skippers" and bartenders were called "stewards."

The airline's second club was at Washington's National Airport and opened with the airport in 1939. Located in a "dry" area, the club was prohibited from selling alcoholic beverages. For a nominal fee, however, the club stored bottles for its members. When the Virginia liquor law changed in 1970, so did this club policy. At one point, the club had more than 9,000 bottles stored. Many bore the names of powerful U.S. politicians.

A change in Admirals Club membership eligibility was made in 1967 when American established an open policy of accepting dues-paying members – a policy that remains in effect today.
Paid airline lounge Club membership came about after the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was enacted. Admirals Club was somewhat like CK in that membership was granted by sales personnel to AA to VIPs who were generally influencers of air travel (legislators, corporate heavyweights, etc.) and sparse of people of color, etc. US airlines established a paid membership system any member of the public was able to purchase, choosing not to change to a scheme more commonly used abroad wherein class of service is an admission criterion regardless of domestic or international routing.

The dues in 1967 were $25 per year, or $250 for a lifetime membership. Almost all Admirals at the time decided to pay the fees and retain their memberships.

Today, all persons 18 and over can purchase an Admirals Club membership. Pricing for Admirals Club memberships is based on the customer's tier level in the American AAdvantage membership program. Pricing ranges from $450 or 60,000 AAdvantage miles annually for a new Executive Platinum membership, to $550 or 85,000 miles annually for a regular membership. Membership is also provided to holders of the Citi/AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard ($450 annual fee). One-day passes are available for $59 each.

The clubs were designed to simply provide a quiet haven away from the clamor of the airport terminal. Today they also offer flight information for American and American Eagle as well as a host of amenities that significantly differentiate the travel experience. There are now over 40 Admirals Clubs at 36 airports in the American Airlines system. These include(d) Atlanta; Austin; Bogotá; Boston; Buenos Aires; Caracas; Chicago O'Hare; Dallas/Fort Worth; Denver; Honolulu; Kansas City; London-Heathrow; Los Angeles International; Mexico City; Miami; Nashville; New York-Kennedy; New York-LaGuardia; Newark; Orange County (Calif.); Panama City (Panama); Paris; Philadelphia; Raleigh-Durham; Rio De Janeiro; São Paulo; San Diego; San Francisco; San Juan (P.R.); Santiago, Chile; Santo Domingo; St. Louis; Tokyo Narita; Toronto; Washington D.C.-Dulles; and Washington, D.C.-Reagan. <extract> "

Link to archive

Unfortunately, the new American has deleted its online Official Admirals Club history page at: https://www.aa.com/i18n/amrcorp/corp...alshistory.jsp

Link (now not working) to Point Me to the Plane brief article and AA photos at early LGA

Link to PDF history of New York - LaGuardia International Airport (NYC Aviation)

The 01 Aug 2009 American Way in flight magazine had an article by then-CEO Gerard Arpey on Admirals Club history in the Vantage Point column. You can read an online version of the August 1, 2009 American Way magazine article here (not working) or see post #3.

Print Wikipost

Admirals Club History, Logo, Name

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2009, 9:26 am
Original Poster

yes I was given the answer today and you are absolutely right they stand for Honor, Loyalty, Integrity, Service and Family.

thank you everyone again for your help, sorry if I caused any upset.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 9:33 am

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
Originally Posted by nelle49
yes I was given the answer today and you are absolutely right they stand for Honor, Loyalty, Integrity, Service and Family.

thank you everyone again for your help, sorry if I caused any upset.
Ok, so was this a test? Did you know the answer all along? If so, why ask us?

And not to extend this slightly odd thread any longer than it needs to go, but how do we know these five words were not attached to the stars yesterday by some marketing person?

I still go for the Admiral of the Fleet related explanations based on the time period when all of this was originated.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 11:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Paint Horse
And not to extend this slightly odd thread any longer than it needs to go, but how do we know these five words were not attached to the stars yesterday by some marketing person?

I still go for the Admiral of the Fleet related explanations based on the time period when all of this was originated.
So, we have an officially-sourced answer thanks to the observant eyes of inlanikai (even verified by the OP, it seems) and you still don't believe it? In that case, this thread may go on awhile.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 11:40 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
My guess is that, rather than being invented de novo, the logo is based on the Fleet Admiral's stars, which were then inverted, and given the specific meanings described above.
JDiver likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 11:50 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by dstan
My guess is that, rather than being invented de novo, the logo is based on the Fleet Admiral's stars, which were then inverted, and given the specific meanings described above.
Very likely, since the original logo included only four stars.
JDiver likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM
Originally Posted by inlanikai
Honor
Loyalty
Integrity
Service
Family
I can see what "service" may have to do with the qualities that the AC aspires to, but what on earth have the rest got to do with the product offered by AA or the AC, then or now? It's a transport service, not the Boy Scouts and it seems unlikely to me that the marketing dept thought that those would be the 5 features customers would like to see from an airline.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 1:20 pm

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
I treat inlanikai as I do tour guides. Of course, I believe inlanikai and tour guides. How would I know any better. The remaining question is the chronology of these various bits and pieces. Which one is the chicken and which one the egg?
Old Aug 12, 2009, 3:56 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So - does that man there is no Satanic angles at play here? No secret hidden codes like Procter and Gamble?
Old Aug 12, 2009, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by inlanikai
OK, I have the definitive, straight from the horses mouth, indisputable answer:

Wait for it ......

Honor
Loyalty
Integrity
Service
Family

There is a small sign on the reception desk at the LGA AC. It says:

Did you know?
There is a meaning behind the circle and five stars of the Admirals Club Logo:

The stars stand for:

Honor
Loyalty
Integrity
Service
Family

The stars are shaped in the form of an anchor, and the circle represents the need for all aspects of the anchor to be upheld simultaneously in order to achieve a common goal.

OK, what prize did I win????
Even if AA found 5 items to go with the stars, that would not negate the possible relationship between the logo and the naval rank. As noted, when AA started the club, the logo had 4 stars..... and the highest naval rank had 4 stars...... And yet, the OP doesn't see a connection.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by mvoight
Even if AA found 5 items to go with the stars, that would not negate the possible relationship between the logo and the naval rank. As noted, when AA started the club, the logo had 4 stars..... and the highest naval rank had 4 stars...... And yet, the OP doesn't see a connection.
Even if AA started with the list of five items, which seems a bit unlikely, why represent them specifically by stars, and then put those stars in the same configuration as they are on a fleet admiral's epaulettes, collar or flag? With so many other choices they could have made, the chances of their coming up with this design at random are vanishingly small.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Efrem
Even if AA started with the list of five items, which seems a bit unlikely, why represent them specifically by stars, and then put those stars in the same configuration as they are on a fleet admiral's epaulettes, collar or flag? With so many other choices they could have made, the chances of their coming up with this design at random are vanishingly small.
Agreed. I think they picked the stars well before the words that were attached to them. While their might be an additional and newer meaning also attached them, they still represent Admiral's stars. After all, it is called Admirals Club, unless the OP believes the letters in "Admirals" came from some words combined, like QANTAS did for their airline.

Admirals, stars. no connection... yeah, right.... Tell it to the Marines.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 6:51 am

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
Yes I'm reviving an old thread without shame.

Originally Posted by mvoight
Agreed. I think they picked the stars well before the words that were attached to them.
My new club card arrived in the mail, and the stars-in-a-circle logo has vanished. Apparently it's a victim of the rebranding. I wonder when the logo will begin disappearing from airport signage and the entrance doors.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 7:19 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
it already has at ORD-G….that club is all new with the new branding. Looks great I think!
Old Feb 27, 2014, 8:16 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The original Admirals Club membership document for those appointed "Admirals of the Flagship Fleet" by C. R. Smith (first occurred in 1936, before any Club existed,) or his managers had no logo at all. I wonder how recent the logo itself is? (The Club as accessible to the public for a fee was a relatively recent innovation - opened at LGA in 1939 as the Flagship Club, later changed to Admirals Club, and it wasn't until 1967 it was opened to the public for a fee of $25, and eat your heart out, $250 lifetime membership.)

As recently as 1968, the certificate had a logo that includes a "flagship pennant" over an object that looks like a mantel clock or possibly a fireman's hat , on a very plain-looking certificate that reads:

IN RECOGNITION OF HIS CONTRIBUTIONS
TO THE DEVELOPMENT OF AIR TRANSPORTATION
AND NATIONAL AIRPOWER
THE ADMIRALS CLUB HEREBY COMMISSIONS

Vincent Tubbs

ADMIRAL OF THE FLAGSHIP FLEET

THIS THE 16TH DAY OF FEBRUARY OF 1968

(signed) C. R. Smith
FLEET ADMIRAL

It's interesting to me this was after the Club went public. And no stars, other than what would have been on the pennant.

The original pennant had four stars.

You can see an original pennant in the MIA Club (the larger one - is that near D30 (see Djokison, immediately below) in the corridor leading to the rest rooms.

The 1955 version of this certificate has no logo, is in a much more ornate script, and it depicts a DC-6 in the upper left. "In recognition of his consistent and meritorious service and for his many contributions to the development of air transportation as a public service and as a basic element of Air Power, American Airlines, Inc. hereby commissions (Ezra Stone) Admirals of the Flagship Fleet. In testimony whereof, witness my signature, this the 10th day of March, 1955. Signed C. R. Smith, Fleet Admiral."

The 1961 version depicts a Boeing 707 and sports an embossed golden seal depicting the AA Eagle with an "A" on each side of it, with a red, a white and a purple ribbon suspended from the seal. No stars. Not yet, Marie, not yet.

Yes, we'll let this thread continue even though it's past its pull date; there is no timeline nor obsolescence to the topic. /Moderator
Attached Images      
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 6, 2018 at 11:16 am Reason: add cert info / correction on MIA Club location
Old Feb 27, 2014, 9:36 am

Wow, thanks for that JDiver. Was an interesting read.

Also, the larger MIA club is the one at D30.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.