Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA MileSAAver award to / from Australia, New Zealand (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 4, 2014, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
oneworld nonstop flights between USA and Australia are operated by American Airlines / AA and Qantas / QF. US gateways include DFW, JFK, LAX, SFO. Australia gateways include BNE, MEL, SYD.

Alternatives include using Hawaiian / HA from HNL, Fiji Airways / FJ from Los Angeles / LAX or SFO via NAN or Air Tahiti Nui / TN via PPT. (QF codeshares on Jetstar are no longer bookable as AA awards). You must route direct or South Pacific; awards via Asia, or transatlantic require two awards. Premium Economy services may not be booked with AAdvantage miles yet.

Awards using HA / Hawaiian Airlines require two awards, and one may not use HA between the mainland and Hawaii.

Only MileSAAver Awards are available on AA partners.

The usual award rules regarding Maximum Permitted Miles (MPM) and unconstructed origin-destination routings sold by the prevailing carrier apply.

Qantas releases awards ~355 days out; AA can not book anything beyond 331 days out. Qantas awards are challenging to secure. AA MileSAAver flights seem to be scarce on the LAX-SYD routing, even when aircraft go out with empty seats. AAnytime awards can be used on AA, but dynamic pricing may see those for as much as 225,000 miles one way in First.

Note: there are fees involved in award changes from oneworld airlines to non-oneworld partners or vice versa.

See here for current AA redemption charts.

Threads that can help include:

oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on

MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Assistance & Discussion (consolidated) (you must use MileSAAver awards on partners; AAnytime wards may only be used on AA.)

AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) (consolidated)

AAdvantage Miles Awards: TN / Air Tahiti Nui award redemptions

FJ / Fiji Airways (ex-Air Pacific) and AA, awards, etc. (consolidated)

Older posts have been archived to ARCHIVE: AAdvantage miles awards to / from Australia (consolidated)

Edit (post pandemic list at 06 Aug 2022 by Mwenenzi)
Airlines that fly USA/Canada to/from Australia. Following the pandemic, routes are being restabilised and some new routes. Schedules can change. Route restart dates subject to change.
  • Air Canada AC YVR – SYD BNE. [Star Alliance] .
  • Air New Zealand NZ LAX SFO IAH YVR via AKL. [Star Alliance]
  • Air Tahiti Nui TN LAX – via Tahiti & AKL. Last segments on QF codeshares. (AA & DL partner)
  • American Airlines AA LAX-SYD due to restart 29 Oct 2022 [OneWorld Alliance]
  • Delta DL LAX – SYD. [Skyteam Alliance]
  • Fiji Airways FJ LAX SFO HNL – BNE SYD MEL via NAN Fiji. (OneWorld Alliance connect. QF AA & AS partner)
  • Hawaiian HA HNL – SYD. Pre CV19 also used to fly to BNE (AA & VA partner)
  • Jetstar JQ HNL – SYD. Pre CV19 also used to fly to/from BNE & MEL.
  • Qantas QF SYD - LAX DFW HNL YVR*; BNE - LAX ; MEL- LAX. {* seasonal}. MEL-DFW due to start 02 Dec 2022 (new route). SYD – SFO due to restart 30 Oct 2022. Pre CV19 also had SYD-SFO & SYD-JFK(via LAX). [OneWorld Alliance]
  • United UA MEL-SFO, SYD-LAX SFO. BNE-SFO from 31 Oct 2022 (new route). MEL-LAX and SYD-IAH due to restart 30 Oct 2022. [Star Alliance]. (VA partner)
  • and others via Asia & Middle East
Airlines that fly USA/Canada to/from New Zealand (not from all airports to all airports)
Following the pandemic routes are being restabilised and with some new routes. Schedules can change. Route restart dates subject to change
  • American Airlines AA . DFW-AKL due to start 29 Oct 2022 to 25 Mar 2023(new route) LAX-AKL due to restart unknow. AA was to fly LAX-CHC 3 days a week from Oct 2020. [Oneworld Alliance]
  • Air Canada AC YVR – AKL Due to restart 12 Nov 2022 [Star Alliance]
  • Air New Zealand NZ LAX SFO IAH YVR – AKL. Pre CV19 also had ORD. [Star Alliance]
  • Air Tahiti Nui TN LAX - AKL via Tahiti (AA & DL partner)
  • Fiji Airways FJ LAX SFO HNL - AKL via NAN Fiji Pre CV19 used to fly to WLG CHC. (QF AA & AS partner).
  • Hawaiian HA HNL – AKL (AA & VA partner)
  • Qantas QF LAX SFO DFW JFK HNL YVR* via SYD BNE & MEL. {* seasonal} [Oneworld Alliance])
  • United UA SFO – AKL [Star Alliance]
  • And others via Australia, Asia & Middle East

Member Mwenenzi posted

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Mxflyer Welcome to FT

Many threads on this topic.
USA <---->Australia business class awards are one of the hardest to get. An award in ~6 to 8 weeks time (short notice) even harder. 2 people on the same flight harder again.
Hard but may not be impossible. At times availability can increase close in.
What ffp's are you currently a signed up member of?

If you look only at LAX SYD you are restricting your options a lot, and then some. Look at SFO, IAH & DFW and BNE MEL. BNE can have better availability than other airports. Domestic USA & Australia flights as needed

Via Asia is the other option, but would be 2 awards. BKK, HKG, TPE, SIN, NRT, HND and others. Due to political unrest some HKG flights have low loads

They do not need to fly the same airline/ffp/routes/airports out & back. Look for one ways.

AA ff miles cannot be used to upgrade QF flights. Anyway upgrades, with any airline on the USA Aust routes are hard.
Airlines that fly USA/Canada to/from Australia
Edit
List deleted due to out of date post Covid-19 pandemic (see above)

AA & UA also fly LAX-AKL. Then a 3:30hr flight across to Aust.
Via Fiji or on TN can work

AA forum
Consider these Award booking services - a list and some reviews

Credit card transfer links
Print Wikipost

AA MileSAAver award to / from Australia, New Zealand (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2015, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas, American Airlines, Hyatt, Accor
Originally Posted by cbn42
Hi,

Thanks for the response. Can you clarify how to do a multi-city search? I tried it but it's treating it as two awards, one domestic (LAX-HNL) and one international (HNL-SYD). Is there a way to have it charge me for just one international award with a layover in HNL?
If the itinerary can be booked as a single award you will only find out by a call to AAdvantage. They are generally very helpful if you explain what you are trying to achieve.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 8:39 am
Suspended

Good News/BadNews - Award Availability To Australia in Dec/Jan

Hi,

First the good news. You can now fly with Australia with both QF and HA (via HNL) and as a bonus if you play your cards right can even get a night or two lay over in HNL.

The bad news. AA has loads of availability in early December which is when I want to leave but none in late December/early Jan when I want to return.

Any suggestions on how to overcome this? Will they release more seats for early Jan or is it done?
Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You could book the outbound now and then try for inbound when it becomes available but with risk of not getting a r/t booking
Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:15 am
Suspended

Nothing new.

Thread is here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Old Jul 8, 2015, 11:13 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by inpd
Hi,

First the good news. You can now fly with Australia with both QF and HA (via HNL) and as a bonus if you play your cards right can even get a night or two lay over in HNL.

The bad news. AA has loads of availability in early December which is when I want to leave but none in late December/early Jan when I want to return.

Any suggestions on how to overcome this? Will they release more seats for early Jan or is it done?
As AAdvantage merged with USDM, it's a Combined Program. All things AAdvantage, including awards, are in the Combined Airline and Program, along with Admirals Club, etc.

Stopovers are not permitted with AAdvantage awards.

Please read the wiki and through the thread for further information.

/Moderator
Old Jul 12, 2015, 10:55 am

Programs: UA: 1K, AA: Gold, Hilton: Diamond, Marriott: Plat Premier, Hertz: Pres Circle
Originally Posted by azmojo
Getting availability this late is generally a long shot but routing through Asia has been easier in my experience. Don't know if you can get something direct, but look at routing through NRT or HKG on CX, JAL, or QF.
Appreciate the response. I ended up finding a flight to Hong Kong so I'll be able to keep my original reward routing on United from HKG-GUM-CNS-AKL-CHC. Not bad for 25K miles in business.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 1:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Those 24 hour or greater outbounds to Oceania seem brutal.

If you could stop over for a day or two, it might be worth all that time in the air but no more stopovers ...
Old Jul 12, 2015, 11:29 pm

Programs: Alaska. AA, Kris, QFF, Lifemiles, BA+
If you can snare a one-way transPac award, availability between Aus and Europe is much better, and then add on 20,000+ for TATL. Not much more but more do-able, I think.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 8:43 am

Programs: KrisFlyer, AA, Qantas, SPG, Marriott
Anyone able to find availability early next year on A380 from AUH to SYD (Etihad)? Not able to see anything in Jan - April

F class
Old Jul 13, 2015, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by jubbing
Anyone able to find availability early next year on A380 from AUH to SYD (Etihad)? Not able to see anything in Jan - April

F class
found two seats in Feb 16, 2 months ago....today no guest avail at all
Old Jul 13, 2015, 10:23 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer, AA, Qantas, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by kanada99
found two seats in Feb 16, 2 months ago....today no guest avail at all
That would have been fantastic
Old Jul 15, 2015, 10:56 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Not sure where this belongs....AA, QF, JL... or "one world'?? combined, pre-consolidation, etc etc.... but it is mostly AAdvantage points. So here goes.

Trying to get from California to Sydney in First Class, AA award travel.

Options:

1. QF either LAX or SYD. Have F DFW-SYD but date is not optimal. A combined 350k miles BA and AA avios (300k Avios) and miles, need to get to DFW too (50k AA)

2. LAX-NRT on AA in F (777) connect to JL771 also in F (773 1-2-1 config) 245k AA miles.

3. LAX-LHR on AA in F (77W) connect to QF (LHR-DXB-SYD) in F (A380) ~300k AA miles.

I can of course 'wait and see' if space opens on the better dates for #1, and hold 2 or 3 as backup.

#3 seems like a grand 2.5 day adventure....Mrs ExecPlat not so thrilled though. With a 10 hours connection and a 6-7 hour day room sleep at LHR, we would be on Sydney time by the time we land.

Thoughts?
Old Jul 15, 2015, 11:11 am

Programs: AA Life Gold, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Not sure where this belongs....AA, QF, JL... or "one world'?? combined, pre-consolidation, etc etc.... but it is mostly AAdvantage points. So here goes.

Trying to get from California to Sydney in First Class, AA award travel.

Options:

1. QF either LAX or SYD. Have F DFW-SYD but date is not optimal. A combined 350k miles BA and AA avios (300k Avios) and miles, need to get to DFW too (50k AA)

2. LAX-NRT on AA in F (777) connect to JL771 also in F (773 1-2-1 config) 245k AA miles.

3. LAX-LHR on AA in F (77W) connect to QF (LHR-DXB-SYD) in F (A380) ~300k AA miles.

I can of course 'wait and see' if space opens on the better dates for #1, and hold 2 or 3 as backup.

#3 seems like a grand 2.5 day adventure....Mrs ExecPlat not so thrilled though. With a 10 hours connection and a 6-7 hour day room sleep at LHR, we would be on Sydney time by the time we land.

Thoughts?
I think #2 is the best option.
Did you try routes on CX through HKG?
Old Jul 15, 2015, 11:29 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by azmojo
I think #2 is the best option.
Did you try routes on CX through HKG?
Hot planes on JAL?

Nothing from HKG with F cabins....
Old Jul 16, 2015, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Award Routing to Fiji and Australia

Hi all!

First of all thanks for the help you are about to provide^

I have currently and award on Business Class MIA-SFO-SYD for 62.5k Miles on AA and QF.

I tried to do SYD-NAD (fiji) on Fiji airways and there was inventory available the same day I arrive at SYD. I though that I could do a layover on SYD of 4 hours and continue onto Nadi with the same price. However the AA rep told me that its 30k additional miles.

Is that info correct? I have a similar flight MIA-JFK-AUH-MLE all for 90k and all layovers... no additional prices.

Thanks again

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.