Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: CLT / Charlotte Douglas Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KenTarmac
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

This is a quick and updated (periodically, by members) summary of post 1 that will be visible at the top of all pages of this thread.

Check-in times Link

In most locations, you must be checked in:

At least 45 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights within the United States

At least 60 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights to or from airports outside of the United States
CLT airport website: https://www.cltairport.com/

Link to older archived posts.

American operates flights out of concourses (sometimes) A and (always) B, C, D and E.

Ticket counters
Main Terminal - Daily: 3:30 a.m. - 10:30 p.m.

Concourses:
  • Concourse A is used by mostly other airlines (Air Canada, Delta, Frontier, JetBlue, Southwest, United, Via) but American uses Concourse A for some flights
  • Concourse B is usually used for flights to the West
  • Concourse C is usually used for East coast flights. Republic operated flights fly out of C as well.
  • Concourse D (The International Concourse) Most transatlantic flights out of CLT are at the far end of concourse D (Lufthansa and Volaris included)
  • D4 (A and B) are also express gates (Piedmont operated flights.)
  • Concourse E is the American Eagle concourse (Regional flights – RJs)
Maps
From Airport Website

CLT / Charlotte Douglas International Airport map

CLT / Charlotte Douglas International Airport map

Getting from Concourse to Concourse

There is no need to leave the secure area to move from one concourse to another. *Exceptions are arriving international flights. In such case one has to clear immigration and customs, reclaim bags and proceed through security. [Obviously not applicable for those pre-cleared at selected overseas locations such as DUB] Keep in mind that if you purchased any liquids on the plane (duty free) you will have to follow the 3-1-1 rule and even check the bottles!

There are several moving walkways at the airport. At the least, there is a moving walkway at the beginning of each concourse, sometimes there are several (concourses A and E).

Other moving walkways include:
  • Across the atrium between concourses A, B and C.
  • Between the security checkpoint C exit and concourses D and E.
Note: One does have to take stairs/escalator or elevator to get to concourse E as it is on ground level.

Security at CLT
Security wait times can vary widely both by time/day. Monday mornings can have long lines. Checkpoints A and B are often the most crowded. When this is the case it's worth the walk to checkpoints C through E to avoid the long lines.
Since all the checkpoints share access to the secure area it really doesn't matter which one you use, they will all get you access to all gates.
Below is a break down of where the TSA precheck lanes are and where the checkpoints drop you off within the airport.
  • A Checkpoint: Standard 4 a.m. – 8:15 p.m.
  • B Checkpoint: Standard, Main Pre✓ ® 4 a.m. – 8:15 p.m.
  • C Checkpoint: Standard, Flex Lanes 5 a.m. – 9:15 p.m.
  • C Checkpoint: Employee 4 a.m. - 10:15 p.m.
  • D Checkpoint: Main Pre✓ ®, Preferred 6 a.m. – 10:15 p.m.
  • E Checkpoint: Standard 4:30 a.m. – 10:45 p.m.
Reasonable and Minimum connection times in CLT
Most of the time CLT is really good in terms of on-time performance. However summer thunderstorms can drastically affect your travel experience.
  • Domestic Connections: MCT is 40 minutes. A minimum 1 hour scheduled connection time should be sufficient for domestic connections.
  • According to ExpertFlyer, the current MCT for American Airlines International-Domestic are:
AA-AA ID .50 AUA - ALL
AA-AA ID .50 BDA - ALL
AA-AA ID .50 COUNTRY BS - ALL
AA-AA ID 1.00 COUNTRY CA - ALL
AA-AA ID .50 COUNTRY IE - ALL
AA-AA ID 1.15 REGION EUR - ALL
AA-AA ID 1.00
  • MCT for anything involving international flights is 90 minutes; that will work for domestic to international, but:
  • I'm a non-US passport holder connecting in CLT from an international to a domestic flight. How long of a layover should I schedule?
    A: MCT is 90 minutes, but you should schedule a minimum of 2 hours to be safe to accommodate CBP, claiming your bags and then rechecking. (ie: LHR-CLT-PHX)
Parking at CLT
--Parking info can be found at this link.
*Security Note: If you park using curbside valet your car will be searched.

Cell Phone Lot: Park for free while waiting for arriving flights at CLT’s Cell Phone Lot. All drivers are required to remain with their vehicles. Parking is provided on a first come, first served basis as space is available.

Rental Cars
Rental cars are in the parking deck directly across from the terminal. Follow the signs to the deck and take the escalator or elevator to the second level where you'll find the rental car counters. You no longer have to take a shuttle to the rental cars.
--More info on Rental Cars

Public Transportation
CATS offers service from CLT:
  • Route 5 Sprinter Airport Express - To Center City (Uptown)

Visit the CATS Website for more details and schedules.

Where to eat in the airport
--Good map of CLT Dining

CLT Lounges
  • American Airlines has two Admirals Clubs in CLT: A larger one between concourses C and D and smaller newly renovated one in concourse B.
  • AMEX is adding a new Centurion lounge, at CLT. It will be located after security at the intersection of Concourses D and E, on the top floor of a new airport expansion. Opening Monday, February 24, 2020
  • The Club CLT. Priority Pass lounge located in the A gate connector.
Currency Exchange
There are two Currency Exchange locations in CLT, both operated by Travelex:
  • One location in the center court atrium inside the secured area (airside). This location is open from 7 AM to 10 PM seven days a week.
  • A second currency exchange location has been added at the entrance to the D concourse in front of gates D1 and D2. This location is open from 6:30 AM to 10 PM seven days a week.

How quick is baggage claim in CLT?
  • Baggage claim returns in CLT tend to run a little longer than most airports. Expect a wait time of 20 to 25 minutes on average after deplaning. Depending on workload baggage returns can run upwards of 30 to 45 minutes.
  • Baggage returns for flights arriving on the E concourse and the A Concourse extension can take up to 45 minutes.
Is there a Chapel/Prayer Space? Wireless in CLT
CLT offers free Wi-Fi around the airport. The Admirals Club provides free access for club members through AT&T.

Do I have time to go into Charlotte?
You could take a cab or the city bus (see post Public Transportation above for info). I would venture to town only if there is more than 3 hours to kill and there is nothing you can do at the airport.
Lyft and Uber can both pick up at the airport.

Where can I smoke at the airport?
  • Charlotte Douglas International is a smoke free facility. Smoking is prohibited in all public areas, which includes all restaurants and bars.
  • Smokers on the front curb of the terminal are encouraged to use courtesy areas on each end of Baggage Claim and Ticketing levels.
Are there pet relief areas airside?
There are three:
  • Concourse A Connector
  • Concourse A/B Connector
  • Concourse D
Print Wikipost

GUIDE: CLT / Charlotte Douglas Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2020, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by robertablake
85 minutes is fine. If you have normal mobility, than each terminal is not too far from each other.
Thank you! I can walk fast/run if needed, my biggest concern is time for customs and time for baggage to arrive past customs to be rechecked (and if it'll make it to my next flight).
Old Jan 29, 2020, 8:53 pm

Programs: United, Delta, Starwood, American
Hi, On 3/21, I have a FLL-CLT getting in at 9:30 PM and connecting on FL #1597 Operated by British Airways leaving at 10:10 PM to London (40 minute connection. Is this possible if my wife and I carry on and will have a 6 yr old in tow? If I miss this connection, I don't think there are any more flights to LHR that night. Will they put me on the first flight in the morning? Can I call since I am still within 24 cancel period and have them put me on an earlier flight to CLT? An earlier flight was not an option when I searched ON ITA Matrix and booked on AA.com. Thanks.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Rickdog99
Hi, On 3/21, I have a FLL-CLT getting in at 9:30 PM and connecting on FL #1597 Operated by British Airways leaving at 10:10 PM to London (40 minute connection. Is this possible if my wife and I carry on and will have a 6 yr old in tow? If I miss this connection, I don't think there are any more flights to LHR that night. Will they put me on the first flight in the morning? Can I call since I am still within 24 cancel period and have them put me on an earlier flight to CLT? An earlier flight was not an option when I searched ON ITA Matrix and booked on AA.com. Thanks.
I do not think I would risk a 40 minute connection to an International flight. It is plenty of time if everything goes right, but they will be boarding when you land and you could have a pretty long walk from A or B to the D concourse, especially with a baby in tow. You also might be late and CLT is pretty notorious for slow taxi and gate arrival times. With a baby in tow you will probably need to gate check a stroller which can lead to even more delays.

I would look for an earlier flight if possible. AA allows 24 hour holds on their website, so not sure if they will let you change or not. I am guessing if you get a sympathetic agent they may change it with no change fee, but the fare may be different.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
Originally Posted by KBMIFlyer
I do not think I would risk a 40 minute connection to an International flight. It is plenty of time if everything goes right, but they will be boarding when you land and you could have a pretty long walk from A or B to the D concourse, especially with a baby in tow. You also might be late and CLT is pretty notorious for slow taxi and gate arrival times. With a baby in tow you will probably need to gate check a stroller which can lead to even more delays.

I would look for an earlier flight if possible. AA allows 24 hour holds on their website, so not sure if they will let you change or not. I am guessing if you get a sympathetic agent they may change it with no change fee, but the fare may be different.
I agree.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Hi, On 3/21, I have a FLL-CLT getting in at 9:30 PM and connecting on FL #1597 Operated by British Airways leaving at 10:10 PM to London
for clarity's sake:

BA does not serve CLT with their own planes. You are on flight BA1597 which is operated by American Airlines. You'll be on an AA plane, don't be looking for a aircraft painted in BA colors.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 1:18 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
I don’t think they’ll change it for you. I think it’s worth a call though. I think you’ll have to cancel and start a new trip with a better connection.

I mean, you could try and ask yourself what’s the penalty for missing the flight....is arriving 24 hours later and traveling w an infant under such conditions tolerable or not?
Old Jan 30, 2020, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
If you're still within 24 hrs you can cancel for a full refund and book something else, but if the earlier connection costs more they are not just going to move you for free without paying the fare difference.

40 mins is completely do-able at CLT but as mentioned doesn't leave much room at all for error.

If you do miss it, AA will just rebook you on the next available option the next day. There are early AM flights to LHR via ORD and JFK you could be rebooked on that arrive late that evening 8-10pm ish, so realistically you'd be delayed around 10-12 hrs total. The cause of the delay would determine whether AA would cover your hotel at CLT or not.

If its critical you arrive at LHR that morning as scheduled then I might look at cancelling and rebooking real quick (if you're still within 24 hrs), otherwise I'd just roll with it, cross your fingers that you're on time, and make sure you understand your options if things go sideways.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 9:13 am

I've read the recent posts in this thread including the wiki, and I suppose I am crazy, but I am considering a PHX-CLT-FCO itinerary with a 50 min connection time in CLT.
Sept 29
AA 498 PHX - CLT (First Class)
BA 1577 operated by AA. CLT - FCO (Business Class)

Am I NUTS to even consider this when there are apparently no later non-stop flights to FCO that day from CLT, in case we miss the connection? I've never been to CLT.

I am currently reserved on PHX - LHR - FCO, and looking to see if I can avoid my perceived mess (terminal changes. bus between terminals, more security checks) in LHR. FT experienced travelers have given me great advice with how to navigate LHR, but perhaps CLT is a bit easier? The 50 minute connection time is a worry.

Thoughts greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 9:35 am

Programs: United, Delta, Starwood, American
Thanks. I decided to do another route. Appreciate the responses.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 10:03 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by JB in AZ
I've read the recent posts in this thread including the wiki, and I suppose I am crazy, but I am considering a PHX-CLT-FCO itinerary with a 50 min connection time in CLT.
Sept 29

Am I NUTS to even consider this when there are apparently no later non-stop flights to FCO that day from CLT, in case we miss the connection? I've never been to CLT.

I am currently reserved on PHX - LHR - FCO, and looking to see if I can avoid my perceived mess (terminal changes. bus between terminals, more security checks) in LHR. FT experienced travelers have given me great advice with how to navigate LHR, but perhaps CLT is a bit easier? The 50 minute connection time is a worry.

If everything goes right you should be fine. Effectively you will have 15 minutes before boarding starts if you walk off the flight from PHX at arrival time. More than enough time to get between concourse B/C to D. And PHX isn't a weather prone airport. However, there's very little room for delays, including a gate being occupied. A consideration for banked hubs. Personally I'd never do 50 minutes on a connection like this.

I'd put it this way if you simply must be at FCO the next day I'd go for LHR. If not getting there until another 24 hours wasn't a game changer I'd go with CLT.
JB in AZ likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Sept 29

50 mins is no problem, especially as you're in business and will be among the first off the plane. I wouldn't worry at all. Couple things to consider:

1) There is only 1 daily CLT-FCO flight, however there are 2 CLT-LHR flights departing after the FCO flight, as well as a connecting option through ORD, so plenty of rebooking options. A Tuesday in late September is definitely not peak time so it shouldn't be hard to be re-accommodated should something go wrong.

2) Late September is still a long way away in terms of airline scheduling, highly likely you'll have 2 or 3 schedule changes before then, so even if you go with the 50 min connection now it most likely won't end up like that. AA schedule changes give you a great option to call and ask for a better routing, longer connection, etc.
JB in AZ likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
If everything goes right you should be fine. Effectively you will have 15 minutes before boarding starts if you walk off the flight from PHX at arrival time. More than enough time to get between concourse B/C to D. And PHX isn't a weather prone airport. However, there's very little room for delays, including a gate being occupied. A consideration for banked hubs. Personally I'd never do 50 minutes on a connection like this.

I'd put it this way if you simply must be at FCO the next day I'd go for LHR. If not getting there until another 24 hours wasn't a game changer I'd go with CLT.
Thank you. I'm not sure what is meant by "banked hubs"

While it's not urgent that we arrive in FCO the next day, it would be the top choice.....we've seen Rome, leaving on a cruise from Civitavecchia Oct 3.

I suppose AA would put us up and feed us until the next CLT- FCO flight the next day if we don't make the connection?
Old Jan 31, 2020, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
50 mins is no problem, especially as you're in business and will be among the first off the plane. I wouldn't worry at all. Couple things to consider:

1) There is only 1 daily CLT-FCO flight, however there are 2 CLT-LHR flights departing after the FCO flight, as well as a connecting option through ORD, so plenty of rebooking options. A Tuesday in late September is definitely not peak time so it shouldn't be hard to be re-accommodated should something go wrong.

2) Late September is still a long way away in terms of airline scheduling, highly likely you'll have 2 or 3 schedule changes before then, so even if you go with the 50 min connection now it most likely won't end up like that. AA schedule changes give you a great option to call and ask for a better routing, longer connection, etc.
Yes, Agree on all points. Thank you. Sept is a long way away, and I have definitely had AA schedule changes in the past. I'm just surprised they plan such a short connection times.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Thank you. I'm not sure what is meant by "banked hubs"
Banking is where at certain times of day a slew of arrivals and subsequent departures are aligned somewhat. The goal is to try and minimize lengthy connections for passengers, keep aircraft on the ground for as short as possible, and get as many people through in as close to the legal minimum connection as possible..

At smaller hubs you might find only a couple of banks per day with quiet interim periods, at other airports you could have as many as eight or nine daily and then, IMO, it kind of just blurs into being a really busy airport!
JB in AZ and onanisland like this.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by Fraser
Banking is where at certain times of day a slew of arrivals and subsequent departures are aligned somewhat. The goal is to try and minimize lengthy connections for passengers, keep aircraft on the ground for as short as possible, and get as many people through in as close to the legal minimum connection as possible..

At smaller hubs you might find only a couple of banks per day with quiet interim periods, at other airports you could have as many as eight or nine daily and then, IMO, it kind of just blurs into being a really busy airport!
Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.