Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: CLT / Charlotte Douglas Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KenTarmac
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

This is a quick and updated (periodically, by members) summary of post 1 that will be visible at the top of all pages of this thread.

Check-in times Link

In most locations, you must be checked in:

At least 45 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights within the United States

At least 60 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights to or from airports outside of the United States
CLT airport website: https://www.cltairport.com/

Link to older archived posts.

American operates flights out of concourses (sometimes) A and (always) B, C, D and E.

Ticket counters
Main Terminal - Daily: 3:30 a.m. - 10:30 p.m.

Concourses:
  • Concourse A is used by mostly other airlines (Air Canada, Delta, Frontier, JetBlue, Southwest, United, Via) but American uses Concourse A for some flights
  • Concourse B is usually used for flights to the West
  • Concourse C is usually used for East coast flights. Republic operated flights fly out of C as well.
  • Concourse D (The International Concourse) Most transatlantic flights out of CLT are at the far end of concourse D (Lufthansa and Volaris included)
  • D4 (A and B) are also express gates (Piedmont operated flights.)
  • Concourse E is the American Eagle concourse (Regional flights – RJs)
Maps
From Airport Website

CLT / Charlotte Douglas International Airport map

CLT / Charlotte Douglas International Airport map

Getting from Concourse to Concourse

There is no need to leave the secure area to move from one concourse to another. *Exceptions are arriving international flights. In such case one has to clear immigration and customs, reclaim bags and proceed through security. [Obviously not applicable for those pre-cleared at selected overseas locations such as DUB] Keep in mind that if you purchased any liquids on the plane (duty free) you will have to follow the 3-1-1 rule and even check the bottles!

There are several moving walkways at the airport. At the least, there is a moving walkway at the beginning of each concourse, sometimes there are several (concourses A and E).

Other moving walkways include:
  • Across the atrium between concourses A, B and C.
  • Between the security checkpoint C exit and concourses D and E.
Note: One does have to take stairs/escalator or elevator to get to concourse E as it is on ground level.

Security at CLT
Security wait times can vary widely both by time/day. Monday mornings can have long lines. Checkpoints A and B are often the most crowded. When this is the case it's worth the walk to checkpoints C through E to avoid the long lines.
Since all the checkpoints share access to the secure area it really doesn't matter which one you use, they will all get you access to all gates.
Below is a break down of where the TSA precheck lanes are and where the checkpoints drop you off within the airport.
  • A Checkpoint: Standard 4 a.m. – 8:15 p.m.
  • B Checkpoint: Standard, Main Pre✓ ® 4 a.m. – 8:15 p.m.
  • C Checkpoint: Standard, Flex Lanes 5 a.m. – 9:15 p.m.
  • C Checkpoint: Employee 4 a.m. - 10:15 p.m.
  • D Checkpoint: Main Pre✓ ®, Preferred 6 a.m. – 10:15 p.m.
  • E Checkpoint: Standard 4:30 a.m. – 10:45 p.m.
Reasonable and Minimum connection times in CLT
Most of the time CLT is really good in terms of on-time performance. However summer thunderstorms can drastically affect your travel experience.
  • Domestic Connections: MCT is 40 minutes. A minimum 1 hour scheduled connection time should be sufficient for domestic connections.
  • According to ExpertFlyer, the current MCT for American Airlines International-Domestic are:
AA-AA ID .50 AUA - ALL
AA-AA ID .50 BDA - ALL
AA-AA ID .50 COUNTRY BS - ALL
AA-AA ID 1.00 COUNTRY CA - ALL
AA-AA ID .50 COUNTRY IE - ALL
AA-AA ID 1.15 REGION EUR - ALL
AA-AA ID 1.00
  • MCT for anything involving international flights is 90 minutes; that will work for domestic to international, but:
  • I'm a non-US passport holder connecting in CLT from an international to a domestic flight. How long of a layover should I schedule?
    A: MCT is 90 minutes, but you should schedule a minimum of 2 hours to be safe to accommodate CBP, claiming your bags and then rechecking. (ie: LHR-CLT-PHX)
Parking at CLT
--Parking info can be found at this link.
*Security Note: If you park using curbside valet your car will be searched.

Cell Phone Lot: Park for free while waiting for arriving flights at CLT’s Cell Phone Lot. All drivers are required to remain with their vehicles. Parking is provided on a first come, first served basis as space is available.

Rental Cars
Rental cars are in the parking deck directly across from the terminal. Follow the signs to the deck and take the escalator or elevator to the second level where you'll find the rental car counters. You no longer have to take a shuttle to the rental cars.
--More info on Rental Cars

Public Transportation
CATS offers service from CLT:
  • Route 5 Sprinter Airport Express - To Center City (Uptown)

Visit the CATS Website for more details and schedules.

Where to eat in the airport
--Good map of CLT Dining

CLT Lounges
  • American Airlines has two Admirals Clubs in CLT: A larger one between concourses C and D and smaller newly renovated one in concourse B.
  • AMEX is adding a new Centurion lounge, at CLT. It will be located after security at the intersection of Concourses D and E, on the top floor of a new airport expansion. Opening Monday, February 24, 2020
  • The Club CLT. Priority Pass lounge located in the A gate connector.
Currency Exchange
There are two Currency Exchange locations in CLT, both operated by Travelex:
  • One location in the center court atrium inside the secured area (airside). This location is open from 7 AM to 10 PM seven days a week.
  • A second currency exchange location has been added at the entrance to the D concourse in front of gates D1 and D2. This location is open from 6:30 AM to 10 PM seven days a week.

How quick is baggage claim in CLT?
  • Baggage claim returns in CLT tend to run a little longer than most airports. Expect a wait time of 20 to 25 minutes on average after deplaning. Depending on workload baggage returns can run upwards of 30 to 45 minutes.
  • Baggage returns for flights arriving on the E concourse and the A Concourse extension can take up to 45 minutes.
Is there a Chapel/Prayer Space? Wireless in CLT
CLT offers free Wi-Fi around the airport. The Admirals Club provides free access for club members through AT&T.

Do I have time to go into Charlotte?
You could take a cab or the city bus (see post Public Transportation above for info). I would venture to town only if there is more than 3 hours to kill and there is nothing you can do at the airport.
Lyft and Uber can both pick up at the airport.

Where can I smoke at the airport?
  • Charlotte Douglas International is a smoke free facility. Smoking is prohibited in all public areas, which includes all restaurants and bars.
  • Smokers on the front curb of the terminal are encouraged to use courtesy areas on each end of Baggage Claim and Ticketing levels.
Are there pet relief areas airside?
There are three:
  • Concourse A Connector
  • Concourse A/B Connector
  • Concourse D
Print Wikipost

GUIDE: CLT / Charlotte Douglas Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2019, 12:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
No, since they are both on CRJ's both flights will be in and out of E, so relatively quick walk between gates. You'll make it if you're on time, if there's nothing else better then I wouldn't hesitate to book this.
The only concern I would have is that the flight to BHM is likely the last for the night. If the OP misses it he won't fly until the next day and depending upon the reason for the delay responsible for his own lodging. I'd personally try to reshuffle my schedule and take an earlier flight to CLT.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by CMK10

It's very nice. There's a Potbelly, Bojangles, Shake Shack, Auntie Anne's Pretzels and a few other things. I will say the Potbelly was really overwhelmed. I was in line 25 minutes and was still six people from the cash register when I was worried I would miss my flight and I just handed over a $20 and left. I imagine things will settle down soon though.
Flew through last night and everything was slammed. Shake Shack and Potbelly had the longest line but the Bojangles line was one of the slowest I've ever been in. Took about 15 minutes from ordering to receive my food as the employees were more concerned with talking amongst themselves than working.

Wicked Weed will let you order from Shake Shack at the bar and they will deliver to you once it's ready, which seems like a good way to relax and bypass the line.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
The only concern I would have is that the flight to BHM is likely the last for the night. If the OP misses it he won't fly until the next day and depending upon the reason for the delay responsible for his own lodging. I'd personally try to reshuffle my schedule and take an earlier flight to CLT.
My recommendation here is to check a bag and have no carry on bags that require you to wait for the luggage trolly to bring them planeside.
Spanish likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 9:41 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
I arrived CLT Concourse B on Wed Nov 27 and was impressed with the new look, especially the white-on-blue signs. Departing Sun Dec 1 was of course very busy;.Bojangles and Shake Shack at D/E both had long lines but the latter at least had it moving efficiently.
robertablake likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 4:43 am

I arrive to concourse E(15) today. I would like to dip into the admiral lounge for a bite/drink but my connection time is only 45 mins. Not checking bags and I’m flying solo. Is this enough time to get into the club and grab a quick bite to eat before heading off to E5?

if not admiral club, any decent lounges in concourse?

TIA

Last edited by gumercindo; Dec 6, 2019 at 4:49 am
Old Dec 6, 2019, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by gumercindo
I arrive to concourse E(15) today. I would like to dip into the admiral lounge for a bite/drink but my connection time is only 45 mins. Not checking bags and I’m flying solo. Is this enough time to get into the club and grab a quick bite to eat before heading off to E5?

if not admiral club, any decent lounges in concourse?

TIA
Realistically no.

Theoretically, if you're amongst the first off the plane and walk fast, then you might be able to make it to the AC to have 5 to at most 10 mins of time there before having to head to the next gate, and you'd most likely make it back as boarding was wrapping up on your next flight.

Basically tons of rush and effort to get some free snack mix or yogurt, etc. If you're talking about ordering food off the menu then I'd forget it, just stop somewhere in E. There are no other lounges.

Also, you say no checked bags, however everything in E is American Eagle on CRJ's mostly, will you have a gate check carry-on? If yes then you can also forget going to the AC as this will add another 5-10 mins waiting to get your bag from the first flight.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 7:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
I arrived CLT Concourse B on Wed Nov 27 and was impressed with the new look, especially the white-on-blue signs. Departing Sun Dec 1 was of course very busy;.Bojangles and Shake Shack at D/E both had long lines but the latter at least had it moving efficiently.
Realistically no.

Theoretically, if you're amongst the first off the plane and walk fast, then you might be able to make it to the AC to have 5 to at most 10 mins of time there before having to head to the next gate, and you'd most likely make it back as boarding was wrapping up on your next flight.

Basically tons of rush and effort to get some free snack mix or yogurt, etc. If you're talking about ordering food off the menu then I'd forget it, just stop somewhere in E. There are no other lounges.

Also, you say no checked bags, however everything in E is American Eagle on CRJ's mostly, will you have a gate check carry-on? If yes then you can also forget going to the AC as this will add another 5-10 mins waiting to get your bag from the first flight.
Completely agree.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 1:42 pm

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Yup. If you want to spend time in the AC book yourself a flight with a longer layover.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 7:38 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
We had a schedule change that reduced our connection time in CLT from international to domestic from 110 minutes to 85 minutes. I am concerned about customs/immigration and making the connection. AA says it is a valid connection - but I thought MCT was ID connection time was 90 minutes?

We will have checked bags so will need to wait for bags....
Old Jan 7, 2020, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fwfdan
We had a schedule change that reduced our connection time in CLT from international to domestic from 110 minutes to 85 minutes. I am concerned about customs/immigration and making the connection. AA says it is a valid connection - but I thought MCT was ID connection time was 90 minutes?

We will have checked bags so will need to wait for bags....
No, I-D MCT at CLT looks to be 50-60 mins (EF isn't clear). Even with checked bags 85 mins will be plenty of time.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 8:30 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
No, I-D MCT at CLT looks to be 50-60 mins (EF isn't clear). Even with checked bags 85 mins will be plenty of time.
50-60 minutes to claim bags, clear customs/immigration re-check bags and make the connection seems low... I have not come into the US through CLT so maybe it is doable, but I still am not comfortable with 85 minutes....
Old Jan 8, 2020, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fwfdan
50-60 minutes to claim bags, clear customs/immigration re-check bags and make the connection seems low... I have not come into the US through CLT so maybe it is doable, but I still am not comfortable with 85 minutes....
Agree that 50-60 mins would be tight with no GE and/or checked bags.

But 85 mins is completely ok, really nothing to worry about. CLT is a crowded dump of an airport, you really dont want to spend any more time there than you have to.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 9:34 am

Agree that 50-60 mins would be tight with no GE and/or checked bags.

But 85 mins is completely ok, really nothing to worry about. CLT is a crowded dump of an airport, you really dont want to spend any more time there than you have to.

Thanks for the feedback...

As this was an award ticket, I actually used it to my advantage (pun intended!).... Net saver awards opened up (I originally booked before they were available) and I cancelled / reinstated miles at no cost due to the schedule change after I held a better (for me) trip and saved a lot of miles...
Old Jan 23, 2020, 5:02 pm

Flying Madrid -> Charlotte -> Atlanta with an 85 minute connection in Charlotte 4/12/2019. The ATL flight is a 737 so not sure which terminal that will go to. Does this seem like a reasonable amount of time to clear customs, get bags, recheck, and go through security again (have TSA precheck). I'll be in business class so should be able to deplane quickly and my luggage should come out early. Thank you!
Old Jan 23, 2020, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
Originally Posted by Raj Vachhani
Flying Madrid -> Charlotte -> Atlanta with an 85 minute connection in Charlotte 4/12/2019. The ATL flight is a 737 so not sure which terminal that will go to. Does this seem like a reasonable amount of time to clear customs, get bags, recheck, and go through security again (have TSA precheck). I'll be in business class so should be able to deplane quickly and my luggage should come out early. Thank you!
85 minutes is fine. If you have normal mobility, than each terminal is not too far from each other.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.