Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: CLT / Charlotte Douglas Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KenTarmac
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

This is a quick and updated (periodically, by members) summary of post 1 that will be visible at the top of all pages of this thread.

Check-in times Link

In most locations, you must be checked in:

At least 45 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights within the United States

At least 60 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights to or from airports outside of the United States
CLT airport website: https://www.cltairport.com/

Link to older archived posts.

American operates flights out of concourses (sometimes) A and (always) B, C, D and E.

Ticket counters
Main Terminal - Daily: 3:30 a.m. - 10:30 p.m.

Concourses:
  • Concourse A is used by mostly other airlines (Air Canada, Delta, Frontier, JetBlue, Southwest, United, Via) but American uses Concourse A for some flights
  • Concourse B is usually used for flights to the West
  • Concourse C is usually used for East coast flights. Republic operated flights fly out of C as well.
  • Concourse D (The International Concourse) Most transatlantic flights out of CLT are at the far end of concourse D (Lufthansa and Volaris included)
  • D4 (A and B) are also express gates (Piedmont operated flights.)
  • Concourse E is the American Eagle concourse (Regional flights – RJs)
Maps
From Airport Website

CLT / Charlotte Douglas International Airport map

CLT / Charlotte Douglas International Airport map

Getting from Concourse to Concourse

There is no need to leave the secure area to move from one concourse to another. *Exceptions are arriving international flights. In such case one has to clear immigration and customs, reclaim bags and proceed through security. [Obviously not applicable for those pre-cleared at selected overseas locations such as DUB] Keep in mind that if you purchased any liquids on the plane (duty free) you will have to follow the 3-1-1 rule and even check the bottles!

There are several moving walkways at the airport. At the least, there is a moving walkway at the beginning of each concourse, sometimes there are several (concourses A and E).

Other moving walkways include:
  • Across the atrium between concourses A, B and C.
  • Between the security checkpoint C exit and concourses D and E.
Note: One does have to take stairs/escalator or elevator to get to concourse E as it is on ground level.

Security at CLT
Security wait times can vary widely both by time/day. Monday mornings can have long lines. Checkpoints A and B are often the most crowded. When this is the case it's worth the walk to checkpoints C through E to avoid the long lines.
Since all the checkpoints share access to the secure area it really doesn't matter which one you use, they will all get you access to all gates.
Below is a break down of where the TSA precheck lanes are and where the checkpoints drop you off within the airport.
  • A Checkpoint: Standard 4 a.m. – 8:15 p.m.
  • B Checkpoint: Standard, Main Pre✓ ® 4 a.m. – 8:15 p.m.
  • C Checkpoint: Standard, Flex Lanes 5 a.m. – 9:15 p.m.
  • C Checkpoint: Employee 4 a.m. - 10:15 p.m.
  • D Checkpoint: Main Pre✓ ®, Preferred 6 a.m. – 10:15 p.m.
  • E Checkpoint: Standard 4:30 a.m. – 10:45 p.m.
Reasonable and Minimum connection times in CLT
Most of the time CLT is really good in terms of on-time performance. However summer thunderstorms can drastically affect your travel experience.
  • Domestic Connections: MCT is 40 minutes. A minimum 1 hour scheduled connection time should be sufficient for domestic connections.
  • According to ExpertFlyer, the current MCT for American Airlines International-Domestic are:
AA-AA ID .50 AUA - ALL
AA-AA ID .50 BDA - ALL
AA-AA ID .50 COUNTRY BS - ALL
AA-AA ID 1.00 COUNTRY CA - ALL
AA-AA ID .50 COUNTRY IE - ALL
AA-AA ID 1.15 REGION EUR - ALL
AA-AA ID 1.00
  • MCT for anything involving international flights is 90 minutes; that will work for domestic to international, but:
  • I'm a non-US passport holder connecting in CLT from an international to a domestic flight. How long of a layover should I schedule?
    A: MCT is 90 minutes, but you should schedule a minimum of 2 hours to be safe to accommodate CBP, claiming your bags and then rechecking. (ie: LHR-CLT-PHX)
Parking at CLT
--Parking info can be found at this link.
*Security Note: If you park using curbside valet your car will be searched.

Cell Phone Lot: Park for free while waiting for arriving flights at CLT’s Cell Phone Lot. All drivers are required to remain with their vehicles. Parking is provided on a first come, first served basis as space is available.

Rental Cars
Rental cars are in the parking deck directly across from the terminal. Follow the signs to the deck and take the escalator or elevator to the second level where you'll find the rental car counters. You no longer have to take a shuttle to the rental cars.
--More info on Rental Cars

Public Transportation
CATS offers service from CLT:
  • Route 5 Sprinter Airport Express - To Center City (Uptown)

Visit the CATS Website for more details and schedules.

Where to eat in the airport
--Good map of CLT Dining

CLT Lounges
  • American Airlines has two Admirals Clubs in CLT: A larger one between concourses C and D and smaller newly renovated one in concourse B.
  • AMEX is adding a new Centurion lounge, at CLT. It will be located after security at the intersection of Concourses D and E, on the top floor of a new airport expansion. Opening Monday, February 24, 2020
  • The Club CLT. Priority Pass lounge located in the A gate connector.
Currency Exchange
There are two Currency Exchange locations in CLT, both operated by Travelex:
  • One location in the center court atrium inside the secured area (airside). This location is open from 7 AM to 10 PM seven days a week.
  • A second currency exchange location has been added at the entrance to the D concourse in front of gates D1 and D2. This location is open from 6:30 AM to 10 PM seven days a week.

How quick is baggage claim in CLT?
  • Baggage claim returns in CLT tend to run a little longer than most airports. Expect a wait time of 20 to 25 minutes on average after deplaning. Depending on workload baggage returns can run upwards of 30 to 45 minutes.
  • Baggage returns for flights arriving on the E concourse and the A Concourse extension can take up to 45 minutes.
Is there a Chapel/Prayer Space? Wireless in CLT
CLT offers free Wi-Fi around the airport. The Admirals Club provides free access for club members through AT&T.

Do I have time to go into Charlotte?
You could take a cab or the city bus (see post Public Transportation above for info). I would venture to town only if there is more than 3 hours to kill and there is nothing you can do at the airport.
Lyft and Uber can both pick up at the airport.

Where can I smoke at the airport?
  • Charlotte Douglas International is a smoke free facility. Smoking is prohibited in all public areas, which includes all restaurants and bars.
  • Smokers on the front curb of the terminal are encouraged to use courtesy areas on each end of Baggage Claim and Ticketing levels.
Are there pet relief areas airside?
There are three:
  • Concourse A Connector
  • Concourse A/B Connector
  • Concourse D
Print Wikipost

GUIDE: CLT / Charlotte Douglas Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2021, 9:14 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
Luckily, most other Caribbean/Latin American arrivals arrive much later in the evening. AA has flights from MBJ, CUN, BZE, CZM, POP, AZS, GCM, MHH, LHR all arriving in a period from 4:50pm-5:15pm. LH's MUC flight also arrives in that period as well. Granted I don't know if LH will resume service by the time you travel, and that LHR arrival is from the 2nd daily CLT-LHR frequency that has not resumed yet, but you are looking at roughly ~1800 people waiting to be processed in CLT's tiny arrival hall (which was built to handle LGW/FRA/MBJ/CUN flights only) during that same time frame. I can't remember if they expanded to 6 (I know they are in the process of doing so) but there might only be 4 baggage carousels as well so the wait for checked bags might take forever.

CLT doesn't have a designated TSA checkpoint for ID transfers. You have to exit the CBP area and then use the regular checkpoints with everyone else, and not every checkpoint has TSA Pre.

It might take you 50 minutes (if not more) to clear the entire CBP process, especially if you have to wait for a valet tagged bag.

In short: I wouldn't risk it.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 11:16 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
AA just pushed June changes and got a DFW-CLT-LGA with a 33 minute connection which looks to be valid (what!?!?). I suppose it can be done if incoming is on-time but not much room for error. Called AA and they were wiling to swap me to a non-stop.
Old May 24, 2021, 9:42 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
We have friends flying to MCI-SXM next Feb, and AA wants to book a 39-minute connection through CLT, B737 to A319 (ugh). Next flight is a day later. They are meeting us in SXM, and we had to book via CLT or pay a significant fare diff to fly through MIA (no bargain at a 56 min layover). We are spending the night in CLT since our connection from STL was 42 minutes, but CRJ to A319, and not worth the aggravation/panic of running from the commuter terminal, or IDG to arrive the next day. So, is 39 minutes reasonable?
Old May 24, 2021, 9:57 am

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by iplaybass
We have friends flying to MCI-SXM next Feb, and AA wants to book a 39-minute connection through CLT, B737 to A319 (ugh). Next flight is a day later. They are meeting us in SXM, and we had to book via CLT or pay a significant fare diff to fly through MIA (no bargain at a 56 min layover). We are spending the night in CLT since our connection from STL was 42 minutes, but CRJ to A319, and not worth the aggravation/panic of running from the commuter terminal, or IDG to arrive the next day. So, is 39 minutes reasonable?
If AA will book it they consider it reasonable and do-able. As with all travel YMMV depending on weather, etc.
Old May 24, 2021, 10:00 am

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
So, is 39 minutes reasonable?
Could this work? Sure. Transferring from Gate D to Gate A, for example will make this more difficult. Add in a small delay, and you may have a problem. I'd push for at least 60min connection at CLT, but this is certainly doable and a very efficient connection assuming everything goes right for you that day.
iplaybass likes this.
Old May 24, 2021, 11:45 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
I'm asking if it is reasonable based on experience. Given that a misconnect will mean a 24-72 hr delay (arrive Saturday/Sunday/Monday instead of Friday,) we've already decided it's not reasonable for us going STL-SXM. That's just relying on too many things to go right in mid-February, and ending up losing a day or more of our island getaway. Our friends may be more risk-tolerant, but MCT isn't always reasonable, so that's why I'm asking.
Old May 24, 2021, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
CLT is very bad about sitting in tarmac traffic for 15-30 minutes, even if you landed early. I would not risk the start of my vacation on anything less than a 60 minute connection, and even that is not guaranteed.
iplaybass likes this.
Old May 24, 2021, 12:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Yes 60 minutes to me is the least most sensible connection time at CLT. If your a/c lands on the far western runway and need to go to D that can be a 20-30 minute experience.
Old May 24, 2021, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA, B6, DL, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
Yes 60 minutes to me is the least most sensible connection time at CLT. If your a/c lands on the far western runway and need to go to D that can be a 20-30 minute experience.
100% agree. I transit CLT a lot, and have had my share of 40 min connections. I never book them if there is another reasonable alternative.
Old May 24, 2021, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
I'd do 39 min in CLT unless it was an express to mainline connection. I would not do anything less than 60 for mainline to express; taxiing to the the E gates takes forever.
Old May 24, 2021, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
I'm asking if it is reasonable based on experience. Given that a misconnect will mean a 24-72 hr delay (arrive Saturday/Sunday/Monday instead of Friday,) we've already decided it's not reasonable for us going STL-SXM. That's just relying on too many things to go right in mid-February, and ending up losing a day or more of our island getaway. Our friends may be more risk-tolerant, but MCT isn't always reasonable, so that's why I'm asking.
Based on experience I will never connect through CLT without a 60min connection time at minimum. Still, you could do it without a margin of error per my previous response but agree with everyone else here about the cocophony of possibilities that could strand your buddies in CLT far past their connecting flight
Old May 24, 2021, 5:20 pm

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
This 39 minute connection question has got to be the most common question in this thread. Despite all the concern about it, I’ve yet to read where someone has missed a flight because of it. If one flight is running late chances are others are too rendering the tight connection a moot point.

If AA had regular, serious issues with these 39 minute connections they wouldn’t schedule them.
Old May 25, 2021, 4:39 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by KenTarmac
This 39 minute connection question has got to be the most common question in this thread. Despite all the concern about it, I’ve yet to read where someone has missed a flight because of it. If one flight is running late chances are others are too rendering the tight connection a moot point.

If AA had regular, serious issues with these 39 minute connections they wouldn’t schedule them.
I connect through CLT 4-5 times a month and I know one thing I'd never do a 39 minute connection because the number of times I'd have to run to my connecting flight unless I got lucky and gates were close (and running though the CLT airport isn't easy given the number of people waddling through the concourse) is more than I would like. Not to mention I would board late which meant my carryon might be somewhere not near me. AA banks flights and one draw back is more missed connections but that has never been seemingly a concern to Doug Parker and company. In fact, AA is packing more flights into banks making more misconnect issues. AA doesn't seem all that concern with someone being forced to wait for seats to open on a subsequent flight, in part because hotel and lodging would be on the traveler.
Uzzar and Spanish like this.
Old May 25, 2021, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
I connect through CLT 4-5 times a month and I know one thing I'd never do a 39 minute connection because the number of times I'd have to run to my connecting flight unless I got lucky and gates were close (and running though the CLT airport isn't easy given the number of people waddling through the concourse) is more than I would like. Not to mention I would board late which meant my carry on might be somewhere not near me. AA banks flights and one draw back is more missed connections but that has never been seemingly a concern to Doug Parker and company. In fact, AA is packing more flights into banks making more mis-connect issues. AA doesn't seem all that concern with someone being forced to wait for seats to open on a subsequent flight, in part because hotel and lodging would be on the traveler.
Disclaimer: Although CLT is my home airport personally, I'm a DELTA dog. So I fly AA only as a last resort.

You're so right about people "waddling" through the concourses and standing on the moving sideWALKS, etc. It's a real human slalom course to get from point A to point B in the airport. But, to my point, as you said, if AA is booking connections that close in time the gates are going to be reasonably physically close to each other. Also to my point, aside from the potential for late boarding and possibly having to drop your carry on in a bin not near where your sitting it's highly unlikely you're actually going to miss the flight.

Last edited by KenTarmac; May 25, 2021 at 9:28 am
Old May 28, 2021, 6:21 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
All the talk of taxi times is moot as the arrival time is when AA expects that airplane to arrive AT THE GATE. Now, if the arrival flight is historically tardy then maybe that means operations (or a million other reasons) are likely to cause a miss on the expected arrival time, but AA thinks the chances of on time gate arrival are enough to guarantee a later seat if it doesn't work out.

I just booked a 41 min E to mainline connection for a few weeks from now.

Do I expect to make it? Sure, as long as I arrive on time. I've made shorter (but not intentionally).

Could I miss it? Sure, and I know that going in. It means a few extra hours at CLT but I'll still be home for dinner.

Am I going to gate (valet) check my bag? Not a chance. I'm putting the burden on AA to get my bag on that short connection. If I make it and the bag doesn't? All it has is dirty laundry so I'll be fine without it for a little time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.