Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: CLT / Charlotte Douglas Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KenTarmac
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

This is a quick and updated (periodically, by members) summary of post 1 that will be visible at the top of all pages of this thread.

Check-in times Link

In most locations, you must be checked in:

At least 45 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights within the United States

At least 60 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights to or from airports outside of the United States
CLT airport website: https://www.cltairport.com/

Link to older archived posts.

American operates flights out of concourses (sometimes) A and (always) B, C, D and E.

Ticket counters
Main Terminal - Daily: 3:30 a.m. - 10:30 p.m.

Concourses:
  • Concourse A is used by mostly other airlines (Air Canada, Delta, Frontier, JetBlue, Southwest, United, Via) but American uses Concourse A for some flights
  • Concourse B is usually used for flights to the West
  • Concourse C is usually used for East coast flights. Republic operated flights fly out of C as well.
  • Concourse D (The International Concourse) Most transatlantic flights out of CLT are at the far end of concourse D (Lufthansa and Volaris included)
  • D4 (A and B) are also express gates (Piedmont operated flights.)
  • Concourse E is the American Eagle concourse (Regional flights – RJs)
Maps
From Airport Website

CLT / Charlotte Douglas International Airport map

CLT / Charlotte Douglas International Airport map

Getting from Concourse to Concourse

There is no need to leave the secure area to move from one concourse to another. *Exceptions are arriving international flights. In such case one has to clear immigration and customs, reclaim bags and proceed through security. [Obviously not applicable for those pre-cleared at selected overseas locations such as DUB] Keep in mind that if you purchased any liquids on the plane (duty free) you will have to follow the 3-1-1 rule and even check the bottles!

There are several moving walkways at the airport. At the least, there is a moving walkway at the beginning of each concourse, sometimes there are several (concourses A and E).

Other moving walkways include:
  • Across the atrium between concourses A, B and C.
  • Between the security checkpoint C exit and concourses D and E.
Note: One does have to take stairs/escalator or elevator to get to concourse E as it is on ground level.

Security at CLT
Security wait times can vary widely both by time/day. Monday mornings can have long lines. Checkpoints A and B are often the most crowded. When this is the case it's worth the walk to checkpoints C through E to avoid the long lines.
Since all the checkpoints share access to the secure area it really doesn't matter which one you use, they will all get you access to all gates.
Below is a break down of where the TSA precheck lanes are and where the checkpoints drop you off within the airport.
  • A Checkpoint: Standard 4 a.m. – 8:15 p.m.
  • B Checkpoint: Standard, Main Pre✓ ® 4 a.m. – 8:15 p.m.
  • C Checkpoint: Standard, Flex Lanes 5 a.m. – 9:15 p.m.
  • C Checkpoint: Employee 4 a.m. - 10:15 p.m.
  • D Checkpoint: Main Pre✓ ®, Preferred 6 a.m. – 10:15 p.m.
  • E Checkpoint: Standard 4:30 a.m. – 10:45 p.m.
Reasonable and Minimum connection times in CLT
Most of the time CLT is really good in terms of on-time performance. However summer thunderstorms can drastically affect your travel experience.
  • Domestic Connections: MCT is 40 minutes. A minimum 1 hour scheduled connection time should be sufficient for domestic connections.
  • According to ExpertFlyer, the current MCT for American Airlines International-Domestic are:
AA-AA ID .50 AUA - ALL
AA-AA ID .50 BDA - ALL
AA-AA ID .50 COUNTRY BS - ALL
AA-AA ID 1.00 COUNTRY CA - ALL
AA-AA ID .50 COUNTRY IE - ALL
AA-AA ID 1.15 REGION EUR - ALL
AA-AA ID 1.00
  • MCT for anything involving international flights is 90 minutes; that will work for domestic to international, but:
  • I'm a non-US passport holder connecting in CLT from an international to a domestic flight. How long of a layover should I schedule?
    A: MCT is 90 minutes, but you should schedule a minimum of 2 hours to be safe to accommodate CBP, claiming your bags and then rechecking. (ie: LHR-CLT-PHX)
Parking at CLT
--Parking info can be found at this link.
*Security Note: If you park using curbside valet your car will be searched.

Cell Phone Lot: Park for free while waiting for arriving flights at CLT’s Cell Phone Lot. All drivers are required to remain with their vehicles. Parking is provided on a first come, first served basis as space is available.

Rental Cars
Rental cars are in the parking deck directly across from the terminal. Follow the signs to the deck and take the escalator or elevator to the second level where you'll find the rental car counters. You no longer have to take a shuttle to the rental cars.
--More info on Rental Cars

Public Transportation
CATS offers service from CLT:
  • Route 5 Sprinter Airport Express - To Center City (Uptown)

Visit the CATS Website for more details and schedules.

Where to eat in the airport
--Good map of CLT Dining

CLT Lounges
  • American Airlines has two Admirals Clubs in CLT: A larger one between concourses C and D and smaller newly renovated one in concourse B.
  • AMEX is adding a new Centurion lounge, at CLT. It will be located after security at the intersection of Concourses D and E, on the top floor of a new airport expansion. Opening Monday, February 24, 2020
  • The Club CLT. Priority Pass lounge located in the A gate connector.
Currency Exchange
There are two Currency Exchange locations in CLT, both operated by Travelex:
  • One location in the center court atrium inside the secured area (airside). This location is open from 7 AM to 10 PM seven days a week.
  • A second currency exchange location has been added at the entrance to the D concourse in front of gates D1 and D2. This location is open from 6:30 AM to 10 PM seven days a week.

How quick is baggage claim in CLT?
  • Baggage claim returns in CLT tend to run a little longer than most airports. Expect a wait time of 20 to 25 minutes on average after deplaning. Depending on workload baggage returns can run upwards of 30 to 45 minutes.
  • Baggage returns for flights arriving on the E concourse and the A Concourse extension can take up to 45 minutes.
Is there a Chapel/Prayer Space? Wireless in CLT
CLT offers free Wi-Fi around the airport. The Admirals Club provides free access for club members through AT&T.

Do I have time to go into Charlotte?
You could take a cab or the city bus (see post Public Transportation above for info). I would venture to town only if there is more than 3 hours to kill and there is nothing you can do at the airport.
Lyft and Uber can both pick up at the airport.

Where can I smoke at the airport?
  • Charlotte Douglas International is a smoke free facility. Smoking is prohibited in all public areas, which includes all restaurants and bars.
  • Smokers on the front curb of the terminal are encouraged to use courtesy areas on each end of Baggage Claim and Ticketing levels.
Are there pet relief areas airside?
There are three:
  • Concourse A Connector
  • Concourse A/B Connector
  • Concourse D
Print Wikipost

GUIDE: CLT / Charlotte Douglas Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:58 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
The entrance to the C/D Admirals Club on the C Concourse side is currently closed for construction. A sign directs passengers to the D Concourse entrance.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 4:12 am

Programs: Costa Coffee
SJO - CLT - LHR with checked bags in 70 minutes?

I have this tight connection from AA1706 to AA732 in April. 3 of us will have to clear immigration with ESTA and recheck luggage.
Should I call AA now or wait for the likely schedule change between now and April? The alternative routing would be through DFW.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Amygdala28
I have this tight connection from AA1706 to AA732 in April. 3 of us will have to clear immigration with ESTA and recheck luggage.
Should I call AA now or wait for the likely schedule change between now and April? The alternative routing would be through DFW.
The international to international MCT at CLT is 60 mins, so your connection is legal, and unless you've already had a schedule change calling AA now will result in you having to pay change fees and fare differences to switch to anything else. So yea, April is still a looong way off, I'd just wait for a schedule change before calling.

That said, if you booked a longer connection but AA already changed schedules to drop it to 70 mins, you could call AA now and ask about a more comfortable connection through DFW or MIA, if that's what your after.
Amygdala28 likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 12:57 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Interesting morning in CLT (090418). At approx. 10:00 am gates B12-B16 have flights departing simultaneously, so lots of pax queuing--"normal" for CLT; but the gate monitors were not working properly (one had to listen for periodic announcements). One flt clt-dfw had suffered a bird strike and was being delayed for inspection (adding to the overcrowding).
A fun morning in CLT

Last edited by nrr; Sep 4, 2018 at 6:16 pm
Old Sep 4, 2018, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
Originally Posted by nrr
Interesting morning in CLT (090418). At approx. 10:00 am gates B12-B16 have flights departing simultaneously, so lots of pax queuing--"normal" for CLT; but the gate monitors were not working properly (one had to listen for period announcements). One flt clt-dfw had suffered a bird strike and was being delayed for inspection (adding to the overcrowding).
A fun morning in CLT
I was at B4 for FLL and the board still showed PIT from last night. They had to keep making announcements to assure newcomers they were at the right place.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 6:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
C Gate to B Gate in 51mins?

I've a tight connection in CLT this weekend:

AA1648 - PHL-CLT - Arrives 7:02pm @ C13
AA1736 - CLT-PDX - Departs 7:51pm @ B5

Both flights part of a larger itinerary booked as a single ticket with AA.

I can't gauge from the map how far it actually is between the gates, anyone offer any advice on the likelihood of making this? I'm sorta assuming it must be OK otherwise they'd not sell me the ticket?!

(Edit: I can't count - it's actually a 49 minute connection time )
Old Sep 6, 2018, 6:07 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Lucanesque
I've a tight connection in CLT this weekend:

AA1648 - PHL-CLT - Arrives 7:02pm @ C13
AA1736 - CLT-PDX - Departs 7:51pm @ B5

Both flights part of a larger itinerary booked as a single ticket with AA.

I can't gauge from the map how far it actually is between the gates, anyone offer any advice on the likelihood of making this? I'm sorta assuming it must be OK otherwise they'd not sell me the ticket?!

(Edit: I can't count - it's actually a 49 minute connection time )
Assuming your flight arrives on time, its about a 7-10 minute walk, at max. Hallways at CLT are extremely crowded so you might need to do a lot of zigging and zagging screaming excuse me if you are running late.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 6:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Assuming your flight arrives on time, its about a 7-10 minute walk, at max. Hallways at CLT are extremely crowded so you might need to do a lot of zigging and zagging screaming excuse me if you are running late.
Excellent thanks George ^ I'll do my best Hugh Grant, "terribly sorry", run through the terminal
Old Oct 2, 2018, 6:58 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage
New A Terminal gates are nice

I know it's not AAs gates. But I am flying thru CLT right now and being that I missed my earlier flight I am now on a 3 1/2 hour layover so I thought it would be a great time to check out the new gates. They are really nice. I'm now sitting in a rocking chair in a plane watching area where though the A gates are a ghost town I am seeing takeoffs. Not too much for food though yet but they have plans.

Upstairs where dining will be

Old Oct 2, 2018, 7:55 pm

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Thanks for posting pix. The new A concourse extension is beautiful. A long overdue update to CLT. I'll be back on Thursday and will take the time to get some more pictures to share.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 7:02 am
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
I did the same during my most recent CLT trip. Here's hoping the B concourse is as nice when they're done with it.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 7:49 am

I'm flying NAS-CLT-DCA in January, and have a 2hr 7min connection time....will that be enough time to clear customs, go through security, etc?
Old Nov 23, 2018, 9:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jtrain351209
I'm flying NAS-CLT-DCA in January, and have a 2hr 7min connection time....will that be enough time to clear customs, go through security, etc?
NAS is a US customs/immigration preclearance airport - you'll do do customs and immigration in NAS prior to the flight to CLT and arrive at CLT as if a domestic arrival.

So plenty of time for the connection (and even if it wasn't a precleared flight, it would have been OK)

Preclearance Locations / Overview
Old Nov 24, 2018, 2:21 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Hi, I need a reality check about an INT-DOM connection of 1h49m.

I should arrive around 3PM on a Saturday, end of December, with EU passport (ESTA), NO preclearance, NO luggage (HBO only).
It would be all in one ticket, but losing the connection could screw up the itinerary.

In August this year I managed to make a 1h35m connection at PHL under the same conditions, but I felt it very tight...

Thanks in advance
Old Nov 24, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
You'll be fine. Plenty of time.
Lefly likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.