FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   GUIDE: CLT / Charlotte Douglas Airport - MCT, Connection, etc. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/960664-guide-clt-charlotte-douglas-airport-mct-connection-etc.html)

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Dec 3, 2019 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 31800790)
No, since they are both on CRJ's both flights will be in and out of E, so relatively quick walk between gates. You'll make it if you're on time, if there's nothing else better then I wouldn't hesitate to book this.

The only concern I would have is that the flight to BHM is likely the last for the night. If the OP misses it he won't fly until the next day and depending upon the reason for the delay responsible for his own lodging. I'd personally try to reshuffle my schedule and take an earlier flight to CLT.

wakesetter93 Dec 3, 2019 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10 (Post 31774539)
https://photos.smugmug.com/Travel/So...IMG_0809-L.jpg

It's very nice. There's a Potbelly, Bojangles, Shake Shack, Auntie Anne's Pretzels and a few other things. I will say the Potbelly was really overwhelmed. I was in line 25 minutes and was still six people from the cash register when I was worried I would miss my flight and I just handed over a $20 and left. I imagine things will settle down soon though.

Flew through last night and everything was slammed. Shake Shack and Potbelly had the longest line but the Bojangles line was one of the slowest I've ever been in. Took about 15 minutes from ordering to receive my food as the employees were more concerned with talking amongst themselves than working.

Wicked Weed will let you order from Shake Shack at the bar and they will deliver to you once it's ready, which seems like a good way to relax and bypass the line.

IADCAflyer Dec 3, 2019 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge (Post 31800843)
The only concern I would have is that the flight to BHM is likely the last for the night. If the OP misses it he won't fly until the next day and depending upon the reason for the delay responsible for his own lodging. I'd personally try to reshuffle my schedule and take an earlier flight to CLT.

My recommendation here is to check a bag and have no carry on bags that require you to wait for the luggage trolly to bring them planeside.

SpammersAreScum Dec 3, 2019 9:41 pm

I arrived CLT Concourse B on Wed Nov 27 and was impressed with the new look, especially the white-on-blue signs. Departing Sun Dec 1 was of course very busy;.Bojangles and Shake Shack at D/E both had long lines but the latter at least had it moving efficiently.

gumercindo Dec 6, 2019 4:43 am

I arrive to concourse E(15) today. I would like to dip into the admiral lounge for a bite/drink but my connection time is only 45 mins. Not checking bags and I’m flying solo. Is this enough time to get into the club and grab a quick bite to eat before heading off to E5?

if not admiral club, any decent lounges in concourse?

TIA

JJeffrey Dec 6, 2019 5:29 am

Originally Posted by gumercindo (Post 31811462)
I arrive to concourse E(15) today. I would like to dip into the admiral lounge for a bite/drink but my connection time is only 45 mins. Not checking bags and I’m flying solo. Is this enough time to get into the club and grab a quick bite to eat before heading off to E5?

if not admiral club, any decent lounges in concourse?

TIA

Realistically no.

Theoretically, if you're amongst the first off the plane and walk fast, then you might be able to make it to the AC to have 5 to at most 10 mins of time there before having to head to the next gate, and you'd most likely make it back as boarding was wrapping up on your next flight.

Basically tons of rush and effort to get some free snack mix or yogurt, etc. If you're talking about ordering food off the menu then I'd forget it, just stop somewhere in E. There are no other lounges.

Also, you say no checked bags, however everything in E is American Eagle on CRJ's mostly, will you have a gate check carry-on? If yes then you can also forget going to the AC as this will add another 5-10 mins waiting to get your bag from the first flight.

robertablake Dec 6, 2019 7:04 am

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum (Post 31802547)
I arrived CLT Concourse B on Wed Nov 27 and was impressed with the new look, especially the white-on-blue signs. Departing Sun Dec 1 was of course very busy;.Bojangles and Shake Shack at D/E both had long lines but the latter at least had it moving efficiently.

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 31811533)
Realistically no.

Theoretically, if you're amongst the first off the plane and walk fast, then you might be able to make it to the AC to have 5 to at most 10 mins of time there before having to head to the next gate, and you'd most likely make it back as boarding was wrapping up on your next flight.

Basically tons of rush and effort to get some free snack mix or yogurt, etc. If you're talking about ordering food off the menu then I'd forget it, just stop somewhere in E. There are no other lounges.

Also, you say no checked bags, however everything in E is American Eagle on CRJ's mostly, will you have a gate check carry-on? If yes then you can also forget going to the AC as this will add another 5-10 mins waiting to get your bag from the first flight.

Completely agree.

KenTarmac Dec 17, 2019 1:42 pm

Yup. If you want to spend time in the AC book yourself a flight with a longer layover.

fwfdan Jan 7, 2020 7:38 pm

We had a schedule change that reduced our connection time in CLT from international to domestic from 110 minutes to 85 minutes. I am concerned about customs/immigration and making the connection. AA says it is a valid connection - but I thought MCT was ID connection time was 90 minutes?

We will have checked bags so will need to wait for bags....

JJeffrey Jan 7, 2020 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by fwfdan (Post 31921846)
We had a schedule change that reduced our connection time in CLT from international to domestic from 110 minutes to 85 minutes. I am concerned about customs/immigration and making the connection. AA says it is a valid connection - but I thought MCT was ID connection time was 90 minutes?

We will have checked bags so will need to wait for bags....

No, I-D MCT at CLT looks to be 50-60 mins (EF isn't clear). Even with checked bags 85 mins will be plenty of time.

fwfdan Jan 7, 2020 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 31921874)
No, I-D MCT at CLT looks to be 50-60 mins (EF isn't clear). Even with checked bags 85 mins will be plenty of time.

50-60 minutes to claim bags, clear customs/immigration re-check bags and make the connection seems low... I have not come into the US through CLT so maybe it is doable, but I still am not comfortable with 85 minutes....

JJeffrey Jan 8, 2020 5:51 am

Originally Posted by fwfdan (Post 31922010)
50-60 minutes to claim bags, clear customs/immigration re-check bags and make the connection seems low... I have not come into the US through CLT so maybe it is doable, but I still am not comfortable with 85 minutes....

Agree that 50-60 mins would be tight with no GE and/or checked bags.

But 85 mins is completely ok, really nothing to worry about. CLT is a crowded dump of an airport, you really dont want to spend any more time there than you have to.

fwfdan Jan 8, 2020 9:34 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 31923301)
Agree that 50-60 mins would be tight with no GE and/or checked bags.

But 85 mins is completely ok, really nothing to worry about. CLT is a crowded dump of an airport, you really dont want to spend any more time there than you have to.

Thanks for the feedback...

As this was an award ticket, I actually used it to my advantage (pun intended!).... Net saver awards opened up (I originally booked before they were available) and I cancelled / reinstated miles at no cost due to the schedule change after I held a better (for me) trip and saved a lot of miles...

Raj Vachhani Jan 23, 2020 5:02 pm

Flying Madrid -> Charlotte -> Atlanta with an 85 minute connection in Charlotte 4/12/2019. The ATL flight is a 737 so not sure which terminal that will go to. Does this seem like a reasonable amount of time to clear customs, get bags, recheck, and go through security again (have TSA precheck). I'll be in business class so should be able to deplane quickly and my luggage should come out early. Thank you!

robertablake Jan 23, 2020 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by Raj Vachhani (Post 31987294)
Flying Madrid -> Charlotte -> Atlanta with an 85 minute connection in Charlotte 4/12/2019. The ATL flight is a 737 so not sure which terminal that will go to. Does this seem like a reasonable amount of time to clear customs, get bags, recheck, and go through security again (have TSA precheck). I'll be in business class so should be able to deplane quickly and my luggage should come out early. Thank you!

85 minutes is fine. If you have normal mobility, than each terminal is not too far from each other.