FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   GUIDE: CLT / Charlotte Douglas Airport - MCT, Connection, etc. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/960664-guide-clt-charlotte-douglas-airport-mct-connection-etc.html)

flyer4512 Jun 17, 2019 3:56 pm

45 minute layover at CLT

Is 45 minutes doable at CLT ? We are arriving from Key West and will be connecting to MSP on a Wednesday Night in December.

We are in row 2 on the incoming flight.

Thanks

Uzzar Jun 17, 2019 3:59 pm

What are the other options? 45 minutes is certainly possible, but with so many things that can go wrong I would allow for more time.

JDiver Jun 17, 2019 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512 (Post 31212643)
Is 45 minutes doable at CLT ? We are arriving from Key West and will be connecting to MSP on a Wednesday Night in December.

Thanks

According to the information in the Wikipost at the top of the page,

Reasonable and Minimum connection times in CLT
Most of the time CLT is really good in terms of on-time performance. However summer thunderstorms can drastically affect your travel experience.

Domestic Connections: MCT is 40 minutes. A minimum 1 hour scheduled connection time should be sufficient for domestic connections.
AA will reaccommodate you on the next flight with available seats, but it’s high summer season, and AA has 24 3M8s parked due to the grounding and had to cancel 115 daily flights.

akhoya87 Jun 17, 2019 4:32 pm

Going SJO-CLT-DCA on AA. Just realized my SJO-CLT leg lands at 9:09PM, and CLT-DCA is at 10:19PM. Given customs (I have GE), I'm going to be spending a night in Charlotte, aren't I... (I have to check luggage, unfortunately.)

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Jun 17, 2019 5:23 pm

Thanks

By December thunderstorms shouldn’t be an issue. It’s a mid week night and that’s good. The only issue is that if you miss that connection due to weather, ATC, gate availability and that’s the last flight of the night you’re on your own for a hotel room, although AA might be able to get you a distressed rate.

hipquest Jun 17, 2019 5:42 pm

Thanks

Check your flight numbers on flightaware or some other site to see what terminal your flights usually comes into/out of. Being 2 regional flights you may luck out and be in E for both. Unless CLT sees freaky early winter weather like we did 12/9/19 you should be ok. Even if you have to go from one end of the airport to the other you should be fine.

flyer4512 Jun 17, 2019 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge (Post 31212853)

By December thunderstorms shouldn’t be an issue. It’s a mid week night and that’s good. The only issue is that if you miss that connection due to weather, ATC, gate availability and that’s the last flight of the night you’re on your own for a hotel room, although AA might be able to get you a distressed rate.

There are a couple of other options, one has us leaving EYW earlier and the other has us taking a later connecting flight at CLT. Hopefully AA will let me change for free as I only booked last week and didn't see the connection time.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

bse118 Jun 17, 2019 6:12 pm

Thanks

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 31212671)
AA will reaccommodate you on the next flight with available seats, but it’s high summer season, and AA has 24 3M8s parked due to the grounding and had to cancel 115 daily flights.

OP is travelling in December...not high summer season.

45 minutes at CLT is doable - but leaves zero room for error.

I personally would book that connection, but I know my way around the airport, travel solo, and walk very fast.

bse118 Jun 17, 2019 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by akhoya87 (Post 31212716)
Going SJO-CLT-DCA on AA. Just realized my SJO-CLT leg lands at 9:09PM, and CLT-DCA is at 10:19PM. Given customs (I have GE), I'm going to be spending a night in Charlotte, aren't I... (I have to check luggage, unfortunately.)

I don't think that's a legal connection - the Wiki says Minimum Connection Time (MCT) for I to D at CLT is 90 minutes. Has there been a schedule change since you booked?

Call AA and change your flights/routing - they should do it for free since it's not a legal connection,

Disregard. Evidently the Wiki has bad info.

flyer4512 Jun 17, 2019 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by bse118 (Post 31212982)
I don't think that's a legal connection - the Wiki says Minimum Connection Time (MCT) for I to D at CLT is 90 minutes. Has there been a schedule change since you booked?

Call AA and change your flights/routing - they should do it for free since it's not a legal connection,

Deleted, thought this reply was for me

JJeffrey Jun 17, 2019 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by akhoya87 (Post 31212716)

Originally Posted by bse118 (Post 31212982)

The wiki must be wrong, EF shows standard I-D MCT at CLT as 60 mins. So this is not only a legal connection but with 10 mins buffer :).

I certainly wouldn't completely write off a 70 min connection in this scenario, especially at that time of night when Immigration and Customs shouldn't be too busy. Obviously not a lot of room for error but completely do-able even with bags.

GNRMatt Jun 17, 2019 6:51 pm

I did a 60 minute connection SJO-CLT-PHL earlier this year. I got to my connecting gate 15 minutes before boarding even began (and the flight was on time).

flyer4512 Jun 17, 2019 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by hipquest (Post 31212887)
Check your flight numbers on flightaware or some other site to see what terminal your flights usually comes into/out of. Being 2 regional flights you may luck out and be in E for both. Unless CLT sees freaky early winter weather like we did 12/9/19 you should be ok. Even if you have to go from one end of the airport to the other you should be fine.

Originally Posted by bse118 (Post 31212968)
OP is travelling in December...not high summer season.

45 minutes at CLT is doable - but leaves zero room for error.

I personally would book that connection, but I know my way around the airport, travel solo, and walk very fast.

Looking at flightware it seems that the late afternoon EYW/CLT flight is leaving at 4:11 pm now vs my 5:17 pm in December. I looked out as far as Wednesday August 28 and see 4:11 departures. I wonder if they might change my flight time as that seems to happen on every AA flight I book.

nachosdelux Jun 17, 2019 7:46 pm

just walked thru CLT terminal C - looks like a tornado passed thru, with all the "construction" going on.

hipquest Jun 17, 2019 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512 (Post 31213070)
Looking at flightware it seems that the late afternoon EYW/CLT flight is leaving at 4:11 pm now vs my 5:17 pm in December. I looked out as far as Wednesday August 28 and see 4:11 departures. I wonder if they might change my flight time as that seems to happen on every AA flight I book.

Very true that that times change but what is the on time percentage? I'm headed to AMS on 7/01/2019, a trip that I booked months ago, my flight times have changed enough that I was able to leverage the changes into better legs a couple of times; at worst would have been able to cancel for free. Look at the months you have coming up to get a better (if possible) itinerary than what you have now. At least one of your flights will change in the next 6 months, IMO.