FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   GUIDE: CLT / Charlotte Douglas Airport - MCT, Connection, etc. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/960664-guide-clt-charlotte-douglas-airport-mct-connection-etc.html)

FlyingHoustonian May 5, 2024 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by SamirD (Post 36188495)
Yep, I second this. I've had to do it and as long as everything goes well, you'll be fine. I would hustle anyways though.

Just to update, made Friday's flights without issue inbound was delayed a few minutes waiting on getting into the gate, but we made it with plenty of time thankfully. I appreciate the advice from the AAexperts.

Ignutzz May 6, 2024 9:35 am

Flying PHL to Caribbean over Xmas holidays. Will have an overnight in CLT before our connection the next morning. Looking for serviceable airport hotel, with a priority on getting kids into bed as quickly as possible after landing. It will only be to sleep so no need for comparison of niceness of hotel or breakfast etc. Given shuttle schedule, traffic/construction, etc., can anyone give a recommendation for which hotel we should choose? Where are we likely to get kids to sleep the quickest? Slight preference for a Hilton or Marriott so we can use points, but honestly ease and speed are the priorities. Thank you!

EDnearJQF May 6, 2024 9:48 am

@Ignutzz,

CLT-area resident here, so I don't stay near the airport, but there is a Courtyard quite close. Like many airport areas it's a bit rough, but not - I think - overtly dangerous. They've got a shuttle to the terminal. Most bad reviews are about cars being towed or broken in to.

aisleorwindow May 6, 2024 9:58 am

Originally Posted by Ignutzz (Post 36214158)
Flying PHL to Caribbean over Xmas holidays. Will have an overnight in CLT before our connection the next morning. Looking for serviceable airport hotel, with a priority on getting kids into bed as quickly as possible after landing. It will only be to sleep so no need for comparison of niceness of hotel or breakfast etc. Given shuttle schedule, traffic/construction, etc., can anyone give a recommendation for which hotel we should choose? Where are we likely to get kids to sleep the quickest? Slight preference for a Hilton or Marriott so we can use points, but honestly ease and speed are the priorities. Thank you!

We stayed at the Charlotte Airport Hilton.
Standard Hilton offering - very reasonable.
Free shuttle service. Otherwise, a <10 min Lyft/Uber ride.

taxatty56 May 6, 2024 10:42 am

Originally Posted by Ignutzz (Post 36214158)

Consider the DoubleTree Charlotte Airport, which is around 10 minutes from CLT and has a shuttle--it's not luxurious, but we've stayed there a few times and it was decent enough.

WheelsUpGal May 15, 2024 7:53 am

I don't normally fly American but considering it in the Fall. I have a 30 MINUTE connection at CLT. Really? The flight afterwards on the same route also just has a 30 minute connection. Seems tight to me but I don't think I have ever been through CLT. Since this is what the airline has scheduled, I assume they mean it? Thanks much!

KBMIFlyer May 15, 2024 8:42 am

Originally Posted by WheelsUpGal (Post 36235188)
I don't normally fly American but considering it in the Fall. I have a 30 MINUTE connection at CLT. Really? The flight afterwards on the same route also just has a 30 minute connection. Seems tight to me but I don't think I have ever been through CLT. Since this is what the airline has scheduled, I assume they mean it? Thanks much!

For some reason AA offers frequent 30 minute connections in CLT, and I always avoid them. There are 8 (or more?) flight banks at CLT so there is usually an option to get a longer 90 minute or so connection on the more frequently flown routes.

AA schedules include a lot of padding, so there is a good chance you will arrive early. On the flip side, taxi times at CLT can be very long so an early landing can end up being a late gate arrival. AA requires you to be at the gate for boarding 15 minutes before departure, so a 30 minute connection is really a 15 minute connection. I wouldn't do it. The shortest connection I personally will book at CLT is around 50 minutes.

LovePrunes May 15, 2024 9:09 am

Originally Posted by WheelsUpGal (Post 36235188)

like others have posted, it's always nice to have more like an hour but not at all unusual to have successful 30-35 min connections at CLT. If you are in the back of the plane arriving to CLT you'll be more stressed trying to get off and get moving, but I agree with others that they USUALLY pad their schedule and tons of people make their connections just fine. Prepare a little by having an idea of how many other flights to your destination leave after your scheduled one in case you miss it, so you can use the AA app quickly to rebook if needed. I've made connections there plenty of times that short, but I know others who walked slowly and used the bathroom along the way and didn't hurry, who missed.

WheelsUpGal May 15, 2024 10:36 am

Appreciate the replies! There IS a flight further down the option list with a 2.5 hour connection . . . but I guess less stress, so I took it . . Reviews for CLT are, um, dismal? MUST be a decent place for dinner? Any suggestions? And thanks for the heads up to look for a longer connection. Even if I made the 30 minute connection, I would worry about my bag and having to deal with that after a relaxing cruise. THANKS AGAIN! :)

Blumie May 15, 2024 10:49 am

Originally Posted by WheelsUpGal (Post 36235595)
Appreciate the replies! There IS a flight further down the option list with a 2.5 hour connection . . . but I guess less stress, so I took it . . Reviews for CLT are, um, dismal? MUST be a decent place for dinner? Any suggestions? And thanks for the heads up to look for a longer connection. Even if I made the 30 minute connection, I would worry about my bag and having to deal with that after a relaxing cruise. THANKS AGAIN! :)

Please don’t worry about those negative reviews about CLT, especially with a 2-1/2 hour connection. Yes, the terminals are likely to be crowded. Yes many people will be walking too slowly or standing in your way. But you’ll find an acceptable place to eat, you’ll make your connection, and your checked luggage will accompany you. (You can follow it on the AA app if you have it.)

LovePrunes May 15, 2024 11:20 am

Originally Posted by WheelsUpGal (Post 36235595)

Originally Posted by Blumie (Post 36235634)
Please don’t worry about those negative reviews about CLT, especially with a 2-1/2 hour connection. Yes, the terminals are likely to be crowded. Yes many people will be walking too slowly or standing in your way. But you’ll find an acceptable place to eat, you’ll make your connection, and your checked luggage will accompany you. (You can follow it on the AA app if you have it.)

and don't be shocked if your checked luggage makes the 30 min connection and is waiting for you to arrive at your final destination, even though you booked the longer connection...Happens more than you know!

WheelsUpGal May 15, 2024 2:48 pm

Thank you . . .! I usually have a lot of faith in the airlines and Travel Karma . . . but it's getting a bit harder these days to pull it up sometimes. And on American's own page it lists the on time percentages which were, on my flights, 60% - ish. Luckily it's my return flights so I won't miss a cruise ship bound for the Arctic or the last seasonal run of the Orient Express . . . but still. Yes, I WILL have a decent meal at CLT and leave a positive review on TripAdvisor. Understandably, it's the people who had a bad experience who leave the scathing reviews. Thanks again for the help and hand holding. Had a bad experience with American Airlines way back in 1983 . . . and haven't flown them since! Never say never!!

taxatty56 May 15, 2024 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by WheelsUpGal (Post 36236220)
Thank you . . .! I usually have a lot of faith in the airlines and Travel Karma . . . but it's getting a bit harder these days to pull it up sometimes. And on American's own page it lists the on time percentages which were, on my flights, 60% - ish. Luckily it's my return flights so I won't miss a cruise ship bound for the Arctic or the last seasonal run of the Orient Express . . . but still. Yes, I WILL have a decent meal at CLT and leave a positive review on TripAdvisor. Understandably, it's the people who had a bad experience who leave the scathing reviews. Thanks again for the help and hand holding. Had a bad experience with American Airlines way back in 1983 . . . and haven't flown them since! Never say never!!

Try either Brookwood Farms BBQ in the center CLT atrium food court (cafeteria style) or Phillips Famous Seafood in C (table service). Neither are gourmet but are decent and reasonably priced.

ziggy2 May 15, 2024 8:13 pm

Charlotte Hilton Airport

This ⬆️ All suite hotel, can put kids in living room if you want space.