FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   GUIDE: CLT / Charlotte Douglas Airport - MCT, Connection, etc. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/960664-guide-clt-charlotte-douglas-airport-mct-connection-etc.html)

socalterp Feb 23, 2020 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by GrjApp (Post 32104857)
You can just head out of the Daily West deck across that parking area (outside the tower fence) towards the rental/hourly deck. There is an elevator pretty much right there if you walk in a straight line. Go up to the National/Hertz rental level and walk right through there. Just watch not to get run over by the rental cars!

yep, we do it on the rare occasion that we drive to the airport. Sometimes when the shuttles are a mess, the drivers will actually suggest to walk. it’s quick and easy, especially if you don’t have much in the way of bags. You don’t even need the elevator, just a half flight of stairs up to the hertz level of the garage, and then walk through to the rental facility. The surface lots in between the decks used to be part of the daily lots until the hourly garage was rebuilt.

I’ve never understood the traffic pattern for the shuttles and why they go the long ways around in both directions, vs having the exit toward the terminal on the side of the approach to the terminal.

BarrenLucidity Feb 23, 2020 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by KenTarmac (Post 32103820)
CLT is a great airport. I don't see it as being any worse than any other airport and much better than some. The CLT Atrium is my favorite part of the airport. The views of downtown from the arrival level road, the A Concourse connector and the end of the D concourse can't be beat. The new rental car center is a long needed, very convenient and very efficient layout. There's no need to take a shuttle to it like at a lot of other airports. (ATL, DFW, PHX, etc.) and I HATE rental car shuttles and remote rental car centers.

I don't have any experience with the AA concourses or AA itself, as I'm exclusively a DELTA dog. From what I'm reading here the issues most are complaining about are primarily not with the airport itself but with AA.

As far as CLT clubs, I'm so ready for the AMEX Centurion lounge to open.

My only real complaint about the renovations is that the Queen Charlotte statue was unceremoniously dumped (placed) between the two daily parking decks. She should received a much more prominent placement, with her fountain, somewhere in the center of the atrium like the fountain at DTW.

There may be plans for this later but I haven't heard anything about it. If anyone knows please share. Thanks.

She's going to be in the expanded terminal under an enormous skylight.

dnw Mar 11, 2020 9:34 am

AA is offering me a routing of EYW-CLT-LGA in April with a 37m connection time in CLT. I assume the MCT is therefore lower than the 40m stated in the wiki - but what are the chances of checked baggage making this? EYW-CLT is a ERJ175 and CLT-LGW an A320 so I assume this means a terminal change as well, making baggage miss-connect even more unlikely?

Sorry I haven't been through CLT before... if the baggage does misconnect, there is another flight an hour later, how efficient are AA in these circumstances? is it likely they will make the next flight and get delivered to the hotel in Manhattan same evening...?

thank you in advance.

JJeffrey Mar 11, 2020 11:17 am

Originally Posted by dnw (Post 32169132)
AA is offering me a routing of EYW-CLT-LGA in April with a 37m connection time in CLT. I assume the MCT is therefore lower than the 40m stated in the wiki - but what are the chances of checked baggage making this? EYW-CLT is a ERJ175 and CLT-LGW an A320 so I assume this means a terminal change as well, making baggage miss-connect even more unlikely?

Sorry I haven't been through CLT before... if the baggage does misconnect, there is another flight an hour later, how efficient are AA in these circumstances? is it likely they will make the next flight and get delivered to the hotel in Manhattan same evening...?

thank you in advance.

Your chances are better than average that you and your checked baggage will make it fine. All of CLT is connected airside within the same general "terminal" building and the different concourses are a short walk between each other.

Arriving on a E75 you will most likely arrive into C or B, and a 320 to LGA will most likely depart from C or B as well as D. From the farthest corner of B to the farthest corner of D is at most a 5-10 min (brisk) walk.

AA pushes all types of sub 45 min connections at CLT, so this isn't anything unusual from a baggage standpoint. There are tons of CLT-LGA flights, so if you or your bags miss it you'll just get rebooked on the next available option, same with bags.

dnw Mar 11, 2020 11:28 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 32169535)
AA pushes all types of sub 45 min connections at CLT, so this isn't anything unusual from a baggage standpoint. There are tons of CLT-LGA flights, so if you or your bags miss it you'll just get rebooked on the next available option, same with bags.

Thanks so much, think I'll chance it!

Fraser Mar 11, 2020 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by dnw (Post 32169570)
Thanks so much, think I'll chance it!

Long time, no see!

I'd be OK with a mainline to mainline connection of 37mins at CLT but not a regional jet to mainline because of the longer walks to the E Concourse and time associated with having to valet any larger bags.

The E175's overheads will take a full size rollerbag though and the B/C/D concourse are all fairly close together. Last week I had a 35min connection and got from the mid C gate to the early D gate about 10mins before boarding of my next flight (coincidentally to LGA also) had even begun.

thunderdeacon Mar 11, 2020 4:27 pm

If there are any issues, there are also a lot of options going through Miami. Also, depending on how far into the future this trip is, there is a decent chance that you could have a schedule change with everything that's going on.

CMK10 Mar 17, 2020 8:22 pm

I went through CLT today. I would say at least half of the airport's stores and restaurants are closed and I expect even more to close after North Carolina's ban on sit down restaurants goes into effect tonight.

gregk Jul 17, 2020 6:57 pm

I'm looking at BWI > CLT > BZE on AA with a 43-minute connection on a Sunday morning in January.

Is that doable?

From reading this thread it seems that it might be, but want to get a sanity check given that it'll be winter, there's just one CLT > BZE flight, and it's a layover from domestic to international flight. If it's too risky I might fly into CLT the day before.

JJeffrey Jul 18, 2020 9:10 am

Originally Posted by gregk (Post 32539737)
I'm looking at BWI > CLT > BZE on AA with a 43-minute connection on a Sunday morning in January.

Is that doable?

From reading this thread it seems that it might be, but want to get a sanity check given that it'll be winter, there's just one CLT > BZE flight, and it's a layover from domestic to international flight. If it's too risky I might fly into CLT the day before.

43 mins is perfectly doable at CLT, obviously no time to waste but should be fine assuming you're on time.

Also, there's likely to be multiple schedule changes between now and January, so its highly likely that 43 mins will change between now and then. So I wouldn't sweat it much now.

O62 Apr 14, 2021 9:33 am

Mininum INTL>Dom connection in CLT?

Hi folks. Looking at an itinerary from ELH-CLT-DAY with a 51m connection in CLT. Is this legal let alone advisable? Never connected in CLT but can't imagine clearing immigration, re-checking bags, and going through security is doable that quickly, unless I am missing something. ELH isn't a pre-clearance facility as far as I know

platbrownguy Apr 14, 2021 9:41 am

ExpertFlyer shows the standard intl-domestic minimum connection time at CLT is 1 hour... but when inbound from Bahamas it's listed at 50 minutes. My presumption is that this is a mistake, presumably it was set based on flights only operating from FPO/NAS with preclearance? Even if they really mean it, I definitely wouldn't do it with bags to recheck.

AA-AA ID .50 COUNTRY BS - ALL

mvoight Apr 14, 2021 10:49 am

Does this have pre clearance for immigration? (I've never cleared immigration at CLT, is it speedy?)

platbrownguy Apr 14, 2021 11:08 am

Originally Posted by mvoight (Post 33177229)
Does this have pre clearance for immigration? (I've never cleared immigration at CLT, is it speedy?)

No, only FPO and NAS have preclearance in the Bahamas. CLT isn't terrible like MIA but 51 minutes is awfully tight if one must wait on bags to be delivered and then drop them off again. And honestly, it's a CR7 service so there's not much you can do... waiting on carry-ons in the jetbridge is a crapshoot.

joeyE Apr 14, 2021 7:22 pm

It depends on your comfort level for risk, willingness to elbow people & hustle, and having to start finding alternatives if you mis-connect. There's atleast 1 more nonstop to Dayton any given night, plus a few connections through DCA, PHL, ORD. If the fare is awesome, why not...? If you HAVE to be in DAY that night, than that's not the routing for you.

2:36 pm North Eleuthera (ELH)
5:04 pm Charlotte Douglas (CLT)

5:55 pm Charlotte Douglas (CLT)
7:23 pm Dayton (DAY)