FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   GUIDE: CLT / Charlotte Douglas Airport - MCT, Connection, etc. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/960664-guide-clt-charlotte-douglas-airport-mct-connection-etc.html)

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Jan 31, 2020 11:40 am

And the issue becomes, particularly for AA, an a/c arrives and because so many arrive at once there isn't a lot of spare capacity in the form of gates and crews. Rather than go to another gate the arriving a/c has to sit and await for the arrival gate to become open. IME this potential problem isn't as bad as at CLT as other hubs but not uncommon either.

swordmaster100 Feb 3, 2020 9:57 pm

Hi FT,

Any thoughts on whether this connection is feasible?
AA5350 YUL to CLT (arrives 5.24pm)
AA1842 CLT to MCO (departs 6.09pm)

I do not have global entry, non-US citizen. Travelling with checked bags, and an infant.
From observing recent days' data, it seems like I would have to walk over from Concourse E to D: is this doable?
Since YUL has a pre-clearance facility, I would not be collecting and re-checking in my bags at CLT - is this correct?

JJeffrey Feb 4, 2020 5:07 am

Originally Posted by swordmaster100 (Post 32029815)
Hi FT,

Any thoughts on whether this connection is feasible?
AA5350 YUL to CLT (arrives 5.24pm)
AA1842 CLT to MCO (departs 6.09pm)

I do not have global entry, non-US citizen. Travelling with checked bags, and an infant.
From observing recent days' data, it seems like I would have to walk over from Concourse E to D: is this doable?
Since YUL has a pre-clearance facility, I would not be collecting and re-checking in my bags at CLT - is this correct?

Completely do-able and nothing to worry about at all.

Correct, YUL has preclearance, so you will complete all immigration/customs formalities in YUL before you depart. You'll land in CLT as a normal domestic flight, get off the plane and walk to your next gate. Your bags will be checked through to MCO. Depending on how far out you arrive in E, it can be anywhere from a 5-10 min walk to D and a little further to C/B.

And there are 2 CLT-MCO flights after yours, so if you were to miss it you'd just be rebooked on the next available option.

Chrisnichols Feb 4, 2020 7:41 am

Minimum Connection Time

Hi everyone.

Just a quick query about a connecting flight I have coming up on 22 Feb:

AA561 Orlando - Charlotte / arriving 5:15PM
AA4666 Charlotte - London Heathrow / Departing 5:55PM

We will have hand luggage only - and there's only 2 of us. Is a 40 minute connection for a domestic - international realistic?

Our flight to the US is fine (over 3 hours at Charlotte) but it's just the return. It was originally just under an hour, but I've just noticed a scheduling change which makes it 40 minutes.

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Feb 4, 2020 7:48 am

Originally Posted by Chrisnichols (Post 32031271)
Hi everyone.

Just a quick query about a connecting flight I have coming up on 22 Feb:

AA561 Orlando - Charlotte / arriving 5:15PM
AA4666 Charlotte - London Heathrow / Departing 5:55PM

We will have hand luggage only - and there's only 2 of us. Is a 40 minute connection for a domestic - international realistic?

Our flight to the US is fine (over 3 hours at Charlotte) but it's just the return. It was originally just under an hour, but I've just noticed a scheduling change which makes it 40 minutes.

Assuming no delays from MCO it's doable but you want to move quickly as the flight to LHR will begin to board at 5:20PM. You could call and ask for an earlier flight to CLT even though you're still within the MCT.

swordmaster100 Feb 4, 2020 8:40 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 32030654)
Completely do-able and nothing to worry about at all.

Correct, YUL has preclearance, so you will complete all immigration/customs formalities in YUL before you depart. You'll land in CLT as a normal domestic flight, get off the plane and walk to your next gate. Your bags will be checked through to MCO. Depending on how far out you arrive in E, it can be anywhere from a 5-10 min walk to D and a little further to C/B.

And there are 2 CLT-MCO flights after yours, so if you were to miss it you'd just be rebooked on the next available option.

Thank you very much.

Chrisnichols Feb 4, 2020 9:57 am

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge (Post 32031304)
Assuming no delays from MCO it's doable but you want to move quickly as the flight to LHR will begin to board at 5:20PM. You could call and ask for an earlier flight to CLT even though you're still within the MCT.

Thanks very much newyorkgeorge.

is 40 minutes under or over the minimum connection time does anyone know? I’m just wondering exactly what would happen if we were to miss our connecting flight

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Feb 4, 2020 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Chrisnichols (Post 32031767)
Thanks very much newyorkgeorge.

is 40 minutes under or over the minimum connection time does anyone know? I’m just wondering exactly what would happen if we were to miss our connecting flight

40 minutes should be within the MCT but maybe not the minimal sensible time. If you missed your flight you would be put on the next available flight and unless there's a later AA or BA flight that evening out of CLT it would be the next day. IDK there might be a later BA flight out JFK if AA has a flight from CLT to JFK that would get you there in time. That's assuming there are open seats on the next flight. I have found AA (you may need to hang up and call again) flexible with regards to tight connections, particularly if it's the last flight of the day to that particular destination. My recommendation would be to call and see if you can be put on an earlier flight from MCO. 40 minutes doesn't give much time for a delay. And if it's weather/traffic flow AA isn't responsible for additional meals, lodging or expenses coming back into London.

Malibu902 Feb 15, 2020 11:23 am

MCT

Hi community,

My original AA flight JUNE
RDU 5:38am —> CLT 6:45am
CLT 9:40am —> SXM 1:20pm

AA Changed my flight times to
RDU 9:26am —> CLT 10:30am
CLT 11:47am —> SXM 3:42pm

I’m now concerned about the decreased layover time below even though it meets the MCT.
CLT 11:47am —> SXM 3:42pm.

The above flight is the last flight flight that will go to SXM on that day. I’ve never flown with AA before and very concerned if there’s a delay from leaving RDU. I’ve already called AA and they've gave me some options to change my departure time to an earlier one and moving my return flight date for no charge. I chose moving my return flight to the next day since the day of arrival would be mostly a travel day. Looking back I should’ve asked to move to an earlier time too.

Should i I go ahead and call again to ask to move the departure time or just wait since it’s likely that AA will make another schedule change by June?

Dread Pirate Jeff Feb 15, 2020 11:37 am

Originally Posted by Malibu902 (Post 32075547)
Hi community,

My original AA flight JUNE
RDU 5:38am —> CLT 6:45am
CLT 9:40am —> SXM 1:20pm

AA Changed my flight times to
CLT 11:47am —> SXM 3:42pm

I’m now concerned about the decreased layover time below even though it meets the MCT.
CLT 11:47am —> SXM 3:42pm.

The above flight is the last flight flight that will go to SXM on that day. I’ve never flown with AA before and very concerned if there’s a delay from leaving RDU. I’ve already called AA and they've gave me some options to change my departure time to an earlier one and moving my return flight date for no charge. I chose moving my return flight to the next day since the day of arrival would be mostly a travel day. Looking back I should’ve asked to move to an earlier time too.

Should i I go ahead and call again to ask to move the departure time or just wait since it’s likely that AA will make another schedule change by June?

Edit: ignore me. I read 10:30 - 11:47 as 11:30 - 11:47.

FWIW I’ve never had a delay on a RDU to CLT flight. And seldom have I ever had a delay out of CLT unless it was a weather issue at the arriving airport, or a delay at the aircrafts origination. But very seldom has that ever happened at CLT for me, even with European flights.

now other hubs, that’s a different story. My flights through PHL almost always get delayed.

Malibu902 Feb 15, 2020 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Jeff (Post 32075592)
Edit: ignore me. I read 10:30 - 11:47 as 11:30 - 11:47.

FWIW I’ve never had a delay on a RDU to CLT flight. And seldom have I ever had a delay out of CLT unless it was a weather issue at the arriving airport, or a delay at the aircrafts origination. But very seldom has that ever happened at CLT for me, even with European flights.

now other hubs, that’s a different story. My flights through PHL almost always get delayed.

That’s good to know. Thanks for the response!

joeyE Feb 15, 2020 1:00 pm

I wouldn’t touch the RDU-CLT flight. Even if you’re delayed a whopping hour, you’ve still plenty of time. But again, there’s no logical reason to assume you’ll be delayed.

now...if you’re the adventurous type, and AA would fly you to CLT the night before, then get yourself an uptown hotel, a $18 Uber & have a good evening in uptown Charlotte. Get hammered on trade street, sleep late & jump on a plane to the Caribbean.

Malibu902 Feb 15, 2020 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by joeyE (Post 32075866)
I wouldn’t touch the RDU-CLT flight. Even if you’re delayed a whopping hour, you’ve still plenty of time. But again, there’s no logical reason to assume you’ll be delayed.

now...if you’re the adventurous type, and AA would fly you to CLT the night before, then get yourself an uptown hotel, a $18 Uber & have a good evening in uptown Charlotte. Get hammered on trade street, sleep late & jump on a plane to the Caribbean.

Thanks Joey. I’m just going to stop worrying and keep things the way they are 😄. I appreciate the advice!

WeekendTraveler Feb 15, 2020 2:37 pm

E14 and E16 gates: bad design

Who came up with the terrible E14 and E16 gates, which seem new?

You wait in a crowded boarding area.

Then you go through Lane 1 or Lane 2.

Then you walk down a long and empty room.

Then you have your boarding pass scanned.

Then you board.

There is a large room that could easily fit slews of seats. But you can’t sit there, since it’s empty. You’re instead corralled through lanes and have long walks. Pointless.

joeyE Feb 15, 2020 3:48 pm

E was designed & built in a different era. I think after they expand the East & West fingers on B & C, they knock down E & rebuild it symmetrically to the new A, with proper modern amenities but pointed at Regional Jets. Right now, E feels like the Mother-in-Law concourse. A pure design relic of 80s commuter terminals. It’s functional, and it’s nice that you don’t need to bus to it like DCA, LAX & a few others but it feels bare bones.