Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2015, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancellation / refund

The latest change policy may be read here (Thanks to MRP Alert for resource link.)
The above link appears to be broken. The latest change policy, as of June 13, 2023, can be found here.

As of March 2022:
  • Limited changes allowed if schedule change is 60 minutes or less.
  • More flexibility if schedule change is 61 minutes or more.
  • Refunds on non-refundable fares typically require a schedule change of 241 minutes or more.

NOTE: The Detailed Fare Rules for your ticket(s) details refundability, etc. You can read (and print to PDF, etc.) before you purchase. Regardless of fare title (Refundable, Flexible, etc.) you should read these prior to purchase.

beachfan has shared:

I believe if it's an equipment swap, to a less desirable plane (I.e, 777 to 738) then yes, full refund, otherwise it's 120 minutes. One Mile at a Time blog covered this and referred to the contract of carriage (or whatever the linked document is called; it's titled general rules).

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...irplane-change

International Tariff (March 2023)

International General Rules

Code:
SCHEDULE CHANGE
IN THE EVENT, AFTER TICKET ISSUANCE, SCHEDULE
CHANGES ARE MADE BY AA THAT:
(I) AFFECT A PASSENGER'S DEPARTURE AND/OR
ARRIVAL BY 2 OR MORE HOURS;
(II) RESULT IN THE ADDITION OF AN INTERMEDIATE
STOP ON THE PASSENGER'S ITINERARY;
(III) RESULT IN A SUBSTITUTION OF EQUIPMENT NOT
ACCEPTABLE TO THE PASSENGER; OR
(IV) IF A CANCELLATION OR A CHANGE IN EITHER AIR
OR TOUR ITINERARY IS INITIATED EITHER BY AA
OR IT'S TOUR OPERATORS WHICH IS UNACCEPTABLE
TO THE PASSENGER, THE PASSENGER WILL HAVE THE
OPTION OF CANCELLING WITHOUT PENALTY, OR
REROUTING ON DIFFERENT FLIGHTS TO/FROM THE
SAME OR DIFFERENT DESTINATION. HOWEVER, THE
PASSENGER MUST PAY ANY ADDITIONAL AMOUNTS
RESULTING FROM THE REROUTING.
Older posts may be read here.
Print Wikipost

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2017, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by petey2428
How likely is it for my flight from ORD->NRT to have a schedule change in Feb of 2018. I have a JAL ticket operated by AA (AA 153), and I'm hoping that something will go wrong, so I can be rebooked on a JAL 777 that's departing an hour and a half earlier. I know this is an AA forum, but does anyone know how does JAL handle a code share schedule change?
Feb 2018 is still eons away, so it's highly likely that AA will have several schedule changes before then. However, since you're ticketed through JL, it will be up to their rules on how they treat any schedule changes and the ability to switch flights.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, Hilton Silver, SPG Preferred Plus
I have the current situation on an open-jaw revenue ticket for this summer:
Flying from Sacramento to Rome, connect in Charlotte -- time change on first flight's departure from 11 PM to 6 AM the following day.

Return flight from Rome to Fort Wayne, Indiana, connecting in London and Chicago. Itinerary change on last flight -- we get into Chicago at 830 PM, but the Chicago-Fort Wayne flight now departs at 650 PM that same night instead of 11 PMish. So we'd obviously miss this as scheduled.

Questions:

Since this results in an itinerary change or greater than two hours (as well as an invalid itinerary period), I should be able to cancel for a refund, correct?

If I call to reschedule the return leg and an overnight in Chicago is required (I don't currently see an AA ORD-FWA flight after we arrive), would they pay for the hotel (my guess is no)?

If I call to reschedule the return leg and try to change either the arrival or departure airport that are sort-of-kind-of in the same region (let's say I depart from Florence instead of Rome and/or return to Detroit instead of Fort Wayne), would I be liable for the fare difference at current rates (my guess is yes)?

Thanks.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA EP
Yes. U would have to re fare the ticket.
Originally Posted by nightmarch
Flying from Sacramento to Rome, connect in Charlotte -- time change on first flight's departure from 11 PM to 6 AM the following day.

Return flight from Rome to Fort Wayne, Indiana, connecting in London and Chicago. Itinerary change on last flight -- we get into Chicago at 830 PM, but the Chicago-Fort Wayne flight now departs at 650 PM that same night instead of 11 PMish. So we'd obviously miss this as scheduled.

Questions:

Since this results in an itinerary change or greater than two hours (as well as an invalid itinerary period), I should be able to cancel for a refund, correct?

If I call to reschedule the return leg and an overnight in Chicago is required (I don't currently see an AA ORD-FWA flight after we arrive), would they pay for the hotel (my guess is no)?

If I call to reschedule the return leg and try to change either the arrival or departure airport that are sort-of-kind-of in the same region (let's say I depart from Florence instead of Rome and/or return to Detroit instead of Fort Wayne), would I be liable for the fare difference at current rates (my guess is yes)?

Thanks.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by renzomullany
Thanks. Can you point me to the relevant part in this link:

https://ssc.aa.com/prmportal_enu/Age...e%20Change.pdf

I dont see where it says no changes are allowed for a schedule change of less than 60mins

Thanks
This is fascinating! Notice that this is guidance specifically to Travel Agencies. As you say, it does appear to give them much more latitude than AA allows when you're dealing with them directly; there may be gotcha's I'm not seeing in a quick scan.

If anything, this argues that buying through Citi would have given you an advantage, not a disadvantage. Did you get this from Citi? If not, have you shown it to them?
Old Apr 7, 2017, 9:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
This is fascinating! Notice that this is guidance specifically to Travel Agencies. As you say, it does appear to give them much more latitude than AA allows when you're dealing with them directly...
How do you figure?
Old Apr 7, 2017, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by nightmarch

Questions:

Thanks.
Yes you can cancel for a refund. AA is usually willing to book you from other nearby airports if there's a change like this, and the other airport is within X miles of booked departure airport. (Want to say 250 or 300 miles) No refare if they do. They can also look at booking you on OW
partners if it helps.

Will not pay for hotel if you choosea routing that requires a forced overnight stay.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 8:29 am

So several months back I paid for a J ticket from Lax-East coast (lie-flat equipment). At some point there was a schedule change, which resulted in: swap to standard domestic first class seat, also arrival is ~1 hour later.

The equipment change is off-putting and I don't wish to route alternatively or find different timings. I'll leave it at that.

Called EXP desk and they begrudgingly offered me a voucher refund. Knowing the rigmarole involved in the paper voucher ticketing process (book, hold, call, mail, repeat, etc..), I asked if they can process a refund to my original form of payment (credit card). They explained they were not permitted to issue credit card refunds unless there was schedule change resulted in 2+ hour arrival/departure difference, no exceptions.

I pointed the agent to the flyertalk's favorite AA contract of carriage section on cancellations/refunds that discusses "unacceptable equipment" in item III (as well as 2+ hour schedule changes, for that matter).

The agent was not having any of it and sternly asserted she was bound by a "her own set of guidelines" which were "2+ hours or more" and that's basically it. Clearly we were not going to get anywhere today. I told her thank you, I'll think about it, and we ended the call.

Happy to walk away a refund voucher if that is truly the law of the land and documented somewhere. But still feel that I wasn't being dealt with transparently. Is there somewhere I can refer to that specifies the type of refund one is entitled to (voucher vs. original form of payment)?
Old Apr 9, 2017, 5:22 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JonNYC
How do you figure?
That was my conclusion based on a quick skim of the referenced document. I may very well have missed something.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 5:32 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by CalNaughtonJr
So several months back I paid for a J ticket from Lax-East coast (lie-flat equipment). At some point there was a schedule change, which resulted in: swap to standard domestic first class seat, also arrival is ~1 hour later.

The equipment change is off-putting and I don't wish to route alternatively or find different timings. I'll leave it at that.

Called EXP desk and they begrudgingly offered me a voucher refund. Knowing the rigmarole involved in the paper voucher ticketing process (book, hold, call, mail, repeat, etc..), I asked if they can process a refund to my original form of payment (credit card). They explained they were not permitted to issue credit card refunds unless there was schedule change resulted in 2+ hour arrival/departure difference, no exceptions.

I pointed the agent to the flyertalk's favorite AA contract of carriage section on cancellations/refunds that discusses "unacceptable equipment" in item III (as well as 2+ hour schedule changes, for that matter).

The agent was not having any of it and sternly asserted she was bound by a "her own set of guidelines" which were "2+ hours or more" and that's basically it. Clearly we were not going to get anywhere today. I told her thank you, I'll think about it, and we ended the call.

Happy to walk away a refund voucher if that is truly the law of the land and documented somewhere. But still feel that I wasn't being dealt with transparently. Is there somewhere I can refer to that specifies the type of refund one is entitled to (voucher vs. original form of payment)?
Other people can confirm, but I believe that the unacceptable equipment provision is only for international flights (or maybe tickets).
Old Apr 9, 2017, 6:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
Other people can confirm, but I believe that the unacceptable equipment provision is only for international flights (or maybe tickets).
That's my understanding as well.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 5:46 am

Refund for 1 of 2 after schedule change?

My wife and I purchased 2 tickets for a conference in July 2017 back in November. Since then, my wife can no longer attend. We received an email earlier this week that our return flight will now depart approximately 90 minutes later than originally scheduled. Will AA refund just my wife's ticket since both tickets are on the same record locator? Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 11:10 am

Bump. Thanks.

Originally Posted by GoBlue5
My wife and I purchased 2 tickets for a conference in July 2017 back in November. Since then, my wife can no longer attend. We received an email earlier this week that our return flight will now depart approximately 90 minutes later than originally scheduled. Will AA refund just my wife's ticket since both tickets are on the same record locator? Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 11:16 am

call to split the PNR. end call.

have wifey call back later with her story set on why the 90 minute change won't work. i find it best to just express disappointmnet with the schedule change at first, let the agent say something next. steer the conversation into options for resolution and mention the underlying problem (have to get back to work/school). decline alternative flights after contemplating and saying something like no that won't work because blah blah. research in advance the alternative flights and have your story straight as to why those won't work. finally, end up with "well shoot, guess this trip won't work after all". if any pushback, say "hmmm, let me think about these options". preserve the ability to call back and start fresh with a new agent without annotations in PNR.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Question

Anyone ever had success in getting AA to extend the ticket validity past one year when they have suspended the flight seasonally for 2 months?
Old Apr 26, 2017, 5:07 pm

I had a major schedule change. I called AA.com to try to find an alternative routing. They couldn't -- it was a complicated change. Tickets were purchased through Amextravel.

Agent agreed I could refund. Said it was "all set up," but that I had to call Amex to initiate the refund "from their end." I said, "that sounds weird," but she assured me. I thought about HUCA, but then figured I'd do what I was told, so I called Amextravel. They were polite but said, "that has nothing to do with us -- all we see is nonrefundable tickets, you have to go through AA to get a refund." It also turns out that the AA agent cancelled the tickets, though didn't mention that part to me other than saying it was "all set up."

I called AA back. Agent took a long time with the notes. Would not confirm that agent 1 had agreed to refund. I mentioned that I would never have had her cancel the tickets if I wasn't going to get a refund. Agent 2 wouldn't comment, although she eventually acknowledged that it "shouldn't be a problem," because the schedule change was significant. I asked her to initiate the refund. She said no, I had to go through prefunds.aa.com for each ticket (several of us on one PNR). So, I submitted them that way, with a comment to look at the notes on the reservation, and they have been pending for over a week, in a "status pending" situation.

Anything else I can do other than just sit and wait? How long does it usually take and was prefunds really the mechanism by which I was supposed to do all this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.