Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2015, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancellation / refund

The latest change policy may be read here (Thanks to MRP Alert for resource link.)
The above link appears to be broken. The latest change policy, as of June 13, 2023, can be found here.

As of March 2022:
  • Limited changes allowed if schedule change is 60 minutes or less.
  • More flexibility if schedule change is 61 minutes or more.
  • Refunds on non-refundable fares typically require a schedule change of 241 minutes or more.

NOTE: The Detailed Fare Rules for your ticket(s) details refundability, etc. You can read (and print to PDF, etc.) before you purchase. Regardless of fare title (Refundable, Flexible, etc.) you should read these prior to purchase.

beachfan has shared:

I believe if it's an equipment swap, to a less desirable plane (I.e, 777 to 738) then yes, full refund, otherwise it's 120 minutes. One Mile at a Time blog covered this and referred to the contract of carriage (or whatever the linked document is called; it's titled general rules).

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...irplane-change

International Tariff (March 2023)

International General Rules

Code:
SCHEDULE CHANGE
IN THE EVENT, AFTER TICKET ISSUANCE, SCHEDULE
CHANGES ARE MADE BY AA THAT:
(I) AFFECT A PASSENGER'S DEPARTURE AND/OR
ARRIVAL BY 2 OR MORE HOURS;
(II) RESULT IN THE ADDITION OF AN INTERMEDIATE
STOP ON THE PASSENGER'S ITINERARY;
(III) RESULT IN A SUBSTITUTION OF EQUIPMENT NOT
ACCEPTABLE TO THE PASSENGER; OR
(IV) IF A CANCELLATION OR A CHANGE IN EITHER AIR
OR TOUR ITINERARY IS INITIATED EITHER BY AA
OR IT'S TOUR OPERATORS WHICH IS UNACCEPTABLE
TO THE PASSENGER, THE PASSENGER WILL HAVE THE
OPTION OF CANCELLING WITHOUT PENALTY, OR
REROUTING ON DIFFERENT FLIGHTS TO/FROM THE
SAME OR DIFFERENT DESTINATION. HOWEVER, THE
PASSENGER MUST PAY ANY ADDITIONAL AMOUNTS
RESULTING FROM THE REROUTING.
Older posts may be read here.
Print Wikipost

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2016, 2:29 pm

Programs: DL, AA PLT, US, HH Gold, BW Diamond, Avis PP, Choice PLT
Just as a little bit of input. I had an aa international flight that the domestic leg was changed by 20 mins.

I actually needed to change the date by two days earlier. Called up. Said that the new time wouldn't work and she gave the new flight options. Said those wouldn't work because the time at which the flight arrived at the destination and the only thing would work would be to fly in earlier

Agent rebooked me on the flight two days earlier no questions asked. No additional charge.
Old May 2, 2016, 8:47 pm

I'd booked RDU-LGA, JFK-LHR on a single ticket with a ~10 hour layover so I'd have a day trip into NYC.

A schedule change has shortened this layover to 4 hours AND bumped me from F to Y on the RDU-LGA segment because the new plane is economy only. In fact it looks like all F has been eliminated on this route.

I'd like to either
- Change to an earlier RDU-LGA, or
- Change to RDU-JFK in F, or
- Change to an earlier JFK-LHR (although saver inventory for this is now gone).

Which of those are possible? Do I have to call or can this be done over Twitter?
Old May 3, 2016, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by davie355
I'd booked RDU-LGA, JFK-LHR on a single ticket with a ~10 hour layover so I'd have a day trip into NYC.

A schedule change has shortened this layover to 4 hours AND bumped me from F to Y on the RDU-LGA segment because the new plane is economy only. In fact it looks like all F has been eliminated on this route.

I'd like to either
- Change to an earlier RDU-LGA, or
- Change to RDU-JFK in F, or
- Change to an earlier JFK-LHR (although saver inventory for this is now gone).

Which of those are possible? Do I have to call or can this be done over Twitter?
Depends on if you have one of those lovely "Instant Upgrade" tickets. If so, you're probably out of luck. AA has done that to me 3 times now with YUP fares and unless I want to pay extra, they won't change the flight itinerary (ie, route through different airport).

But maybe you don't have that type of ticket.

I would think you'd have to call in so they can pull up your record locator, etc.
Old May 3, 2016, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by hurnik
Depends on if you have one of those lovely "Instant Upgrade" tickets. If so, you're probably out of luck. AA has done that to me 3 times now with YUP fares and unless I want to pay extra, they won't change the flight itinerary (ie, route through different airport).

But maybe you don't have that type of ticket.

I would think you'd have to call in so they can pull up your record locator, etc.
It sounds like davie355 is on an award ticket, so instant upgrade is irrelevant. Even if it were paid, I don't think there are trans-Atlantic instant upgrade fares.
Old May 3, 2016, 12:53 pm

Correct, I'm on an award. Original fare classes were Z for RDU-LGA, U for JFK-LHR.
Old May 4, 2016, 1:01 am
NBL

Hi,

A few months ago I booked a saver award one-way, AMS-PHL-LGA in business class. The original itinerary had a layover of 2 hours & 40 minutes in PHL. But now a schedule change to the second flight (AMS-PHL is unchanged) leaves me with a layover of 4 hours, 19 minutes in Philadelphia.

Full disclosure: I live in northern New Jersey and EWR is far more convenient for me than LGA, but this was the only saver itinerary available. There is a nonstop from PHL to EWR that would give me a 2-hour layover which would be absolutely ideal to change to. I wouldn't even care if they put me in economy instead of business, especially since it's such a short flight.

Do you guys think it's worth calling AA to see if they'll switch my second flight? And if they won't, would they be willing to simply cancel the PHL-LGA leg while I take a train or uber home? Anything's better than a 4-hour layover for a flight that will be in the air for well under an hour.
Old May 4, 2016, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by NBL
Hi,

A few months ago I booked a saver award one-way, AMS-PHL-LGA in business class. The original itinerary had a layover of 2 hours & 40 minutes in PHL. But now a schedule change to the second flight (AMS-PHL is unchanged) leaves me with a layover of 4 hours, 19 minutes in Philadelphia.

Full disclosure: I live in northern New Jersey and EWR is far more convenient for me than LGA, but this was the only saver itinerary available. There is a nonstop from PHL to EWR that would give me a 2-hour layover which would be absolutely ideal to change to. I wouldn't even care if they put me in economy instead of business, especially since it's such a short flight.

Do you guys think it's worth calling AA to see if they'll switch my second flight? And if they won't, would they be willing to simply cancel the PHL-LGA leg while I take a train or uber home? Anything's better than a 4-hour layover for a flight that will be in the air for well under an hour.
Absolutely give them a call. Not sure if they will change you over to EWR, but you should be able to drop the last leg. Short checking your bags would be the other option and just skip the PHL-LGA leg.
Old May 4, 2016, 6:20 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Absolutely give them a call. Not sure if they will change you over to EWR, but you should be able to drop the last leg. Short checking your bags would be the other option and just skip the PHL-LGA leg.
You don't even have to short check your bag (ie AA can tag it through to LGA). Just don't return it to AA after clearing customs at PHL.

+1 that it's absolutely worth calling AA about rerouting to EWR. As noted, you can drop the last leg of the award in a case like this at any time, whether or not there's a schedule change. (As noted by JonNYC here.)
Old May 4, 2016, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
okay I'm in a bit of a pickle

I booked a flight YVR-ZRH-YVR and flew the outbound a few months ago.

I'm supposed to fly back this Saturday but it looks like I may not be able to make that flight because of work grounding me.

At some point in the last few months there was a schedule change that demaned an itinerary change - From ZRH-PHL-LAX-YVR to ZRH-LHR-LAX-YVR - there was no resulting delay in ultimate arrival time. I'm assuming my window of telling them to cancel it without any fees is gone by now, right? It's a non-refundable ticket so i was told it's 275USD to change dates and no refunds so I'm likely better off just not flying it and forgetting about it but I was wondering what my odds are given there was a previous schedule change

(the schedule change turned my 2h connection in PHL into a NEGATIVE 30min connection, which is why i had to reroute through a different city)
Old May 4, 2016, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by Smiley90

I'm supposed to fly back this Saturday but it looks like I may not be able to make that flight because of work grounding me.

At some point in the last few months there was a schedule change that demaned an itinerary change - From ZRH-PHL-LAX-YVR to ZRH-LHR-LAX-YVR - there was no resulting delay in ultimate arrival time. I'm assuming my window of telling them to cancel it without any fees is gone by now, right? It's a non-refundable ticket so i was told it's 275USD to change dates and no refunds so I'm likely better off just not flying it and forgetting about it but I was wondering what my odds are given there was a previous schedule change

(the schedule change turned my 2h connection in PHL into a NEGATIVE 30min connection, which is why i had to reroute through a different city)

I suppose you could call and make up some excuse about 'for legal reasons I cannot connect in LHR' and just noticed the change today.

Old May 4, 2016, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Smiley90

Did you call and ask for the reroute? Or was it done for you automatically? If you called and asked for the reroute then you are definitely out of luck. If it was done automatically, I would try calling again.
Old May 4, 2016, 4:56 pm
NBL

Originally Posted by NBL
Hi,

Thanks for the support. I think I will call AA to try to change something. Is there a specific rule that I can point to that would require them to help (i.e. a change that results in a layover over 4 hours)?

And I've never tried anything like this with AA before. Suppose the agent is unable or unwilling to help. Will there be any kind of flag in their data that indicates that I called and was turned down, or am I just as likely to call back another time and get someone more helpful?

Given that, apparently, I can always just drop the final PHL-LGA leg with no penalty, I guess worst-case scenario I'll just hold onto it for now and cancel (or just skip out on it altogether) if I can't get a better itinerary.
Old May 4, 2016, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by NBL
Thanks for the support. I think I will call AA to try to change something. Is there a specific rule that I can point to that would require them to help (i.e. a change that results in a layover over 4 hours)?

And I've never tried anything like this with AA before. Suppose the agent is unable or unwilling to help. Will there be any kind of flag in their data that indicates that I called and was turned down, or am I just as likely to call back another time and get someone more helpful?

Given that, apparently, I can always just drop the final PHL-LGA leg with no penalty, I guess worst-case scenario I'll just hold onto it for now and cancel (or just skip out on it altogether) if I can't get a better itinerary.
I usually start by saying that I want to explore my options. If I like what they offer then I may take it, otherwise I say that I will have to think about it. The latter is often true anyway!
Old May 5, 2016, 1:48 pm
NBL

Originally Posted by MADPhil
I usually start by saying that I want to explore my options. If I like what they offer then I may take it, otherwise I say that I will have to think about it. The latter is often true anyway!
Thanks. Just got off the phone and they did switch me to the EWR flight. No first/business available on this plane but I think for the 35 minutes we're in the air I think we'll survive
Old May 9, 2016, 4:57 pm

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Cancellation / Refund Options for Flight

Hi All,

I have a flight booked for MCO to LAS in Economy (O) in a few weeks, I want to move it back 3 days but it says that my change fee and new cost will be $251 which is more than I paid for the ticket?

How does refunds work, I want to book the same ONE WAY trip 3 days before but if I hit cancel do I get anything back at all to put towards the new one or can reservations move the trip date back 3 days by putting the current fare towards a new ticket?

At the moment it is going to be cheaper to no show and just book it again with the new date. All help appreciated

thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.