Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2015, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancellation / refund

The latest change policy may be read here (Thanks to MRP Alert for resource link.)
The above link appears to be broken. The latest change policy, as of June 13, 2023, can be found here.

As of March 2022:
  • Limited changes allowed if schedule change is 60 minutes or less.
  • More flexibility if schedule change is 61 minutes or more.
  • Refunds on non-refundable fares typically require a schedule change of 241 minutes or more.

NOTE: The Detailed Fare Rules for your ticket(s) details refundability, etc. You can read (and print to PDF, etc.) before you purchase. Regardless of fare title (Refundable, Flexible, etc.) you should read these prior to purchase.

beachfan has shared:

I believe if it's an equipment swap, to a less desirable plane (I.e, 777 to 738) then yes, full refund, otherwise it's 120 minutes. One Mile at a Time blog covered this and referred to the contract of carriage (or whatever the linked document is called; it's titled general rules).

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...irplane-change

International Tariff (March 2023)

International General Rules

Code:
SCHEDULE CHANGE
IN THE EVENT, AFTER TICKET ISSUANCE, SCHEDULE
CHANGES ARE MADE BY AA THAT:
(I) AFFECT A PASSENGER'S DEPARTURE AND/OR
ARRIVAL BY 2 OR MORE HOURS;
(II) RESULT IN THE ADDITION OF AN INTERMEDIATE
STOP ON THE PASSENGER'S ITINERARY;
(III) RESULT IN A SUBSTITUTION OF EQUIPMENT NOT
ACCEPTABLE TO THE PASSENGER; OR
(IV) IF A CANCELLATION OR A CHANGE IN EITHER AIR
OR TOUR ITINERARY IS INITIATED EITHER BY AA
OR IT'S TOUR OPERATORS WHICH IS UNACCEPTABLE
TO THE PASSENGER, THE PASSENGER WILL HAVE THE
OPTION OF CANCELLING WITHOUT PENALTY, OR
REROUTING ON DIFFERENT FLIGHTS TO/FROM THE
SAME OR DIFFERENT DESTINATION. HOWEVER, THE
PASSENGER MUST PAY ANY ADDITIONAL AMOUNTS
RESULTING FROM THE REROUTING.
Older posts may be read here.
Print Wikipost

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2016, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
You can demand a refund. They may allow you to fly a different AA-operated flight.
Thanks for the reply. I'll call in tomorrow and ask if they'll let me.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 7:04 pm

Are change fees refunded in case of cancellation?

Had a thought that might come up with this storm. Say one paid a change fee to get on a flight which is then cancelled. Does the change fee get refunded, as well? Anyone have experience with this?
Old Feb 14, 2016, 7:12 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Flying tomorrow PHL MUC but AA says there may be cancellations because of weather. Can get on JFK LHR MUC flight because JFK is not affected by weather.

Would you change now or wait till tomorrow morning? I live in PHL

Thanks
Old Feb 15, 2016, 9:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by asnovici
Flying tomorrow PHL MUC but AA says there may be cancellations because of weather. Can get on JFK LHR MUC flight because JFK is not affected by weather.

Would you change now or wait till tomorrow morning? I live in PHL

Thanks
I would change now if it's going. if they offer you re-accommodation it seems quite likely you'll run into trouble. SO better to change now rather than when they have a whole plane to shift...
Old Feb 28, 2016, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by beachfan
I believe if it's an equipment swap, to a less desirable plane (I.e, 777 to 738) then yes, full refund, otherwise it's 120 minutes.
One Mile at a Time blog covered this and referred to the contract of carriage (or whatever the linked document is called; it's titled general rules).
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...rplane-change/

https://www.aa.com/i18n/Tariffs/AA1.html

SCHEDULE CHANGE
IN THE EVENT, AFTER TICKET ISSUANCE, SCHEDULE
CHANGES ARE MADE BY AA THAT:
(I) AFFECT A PASSENGER'S DEPARTURE AND/OR
ARRIVAL BY 2 OR MORE HOURS;
(II) RESULT IN THE ADDITION OF AN INTERMEDIATE
STOP ON THE PASSENGER'S ITINERARY;
(III) RESULT IN A SUBSTITUTION OF EQUIPMENT NOT
ACCEPTABLE TO THE PASSENGER; OR
(IV) IF A CANCELLATION OR A CHANGE IN EITHER AIR
OR TOUR ITINERARY IS INITIATED EITHER BY AA
OR IT'S TOUR OPERATORS WHICH IS UNACCEPTABLE
TO THE PASSENGER, THE PASSENGER WILL HAVE THE
OPTION OF CANCELLING WITHOUT PENALTY, OR
REROUTING ON DIFFERENT FLIGHTS TO/FROM THE
SAME OR DIFFERENT DESTINATION. HOWEVER, THE
PASSENGER MUST PAY ANY ADDITIONAL AMOUNTS
RESULTING FROM THE REROUTING.

Unfortunately for my current situation, the title of the document says International General Rules. Anyone have the analgous document for domestic travel?
Old Feb 28, 2016, 4:42 pm

So I've read the very useful guide linked in the wiki. I just wanted to verify my understanding that essentially if there's a schedule change >90 minutes, you're able to ask for rerouting to your satisfaction (within reason)?

I've got a paid business class ticket involving BA, AA and LA on 001 stock, starting in Europe with the destination in South America. The domestic segments have changed by about 100 minutes, so presumably I would be able to ask for a different route down there? Would that include being able to take LA metal down there, rather than AA metal (but under the AA codeshare)? Or would it be down the luck of the agent?

Ideally, I'd like to change JFK-DFW-SCL to JFK-LAX-SCL.

Edited to add, just noted the the LA, LAX SCL flight stops in LIM in the middle of the night. Think I'll rather have the extra sleep! So do feel free to ignore all of the above!

Last edited by Dave_C; Feb 28, 2016 at 5:06 pm
Old Feb 28, 2016, 8:24 pm

Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum)
In 2016 the AAgents are even more pessimistic about entertaining changes in response to schedule changes. I'm flying to Europe via ORD on a sAAver award. The flights to ORD are renumbered at 3 months out and the system moved me to an earlier flight (by just over 2 hours) rather than use a comparable flight.

Agent #1 started the conversation by pointing out I always have the option to cancel if an acceptable solution wasn't found. I cited the desired flight, and he merely said it's not available and asked what I wanted to do instead. I cited rule 80/240 to have the help desk open a seat. He hung up during the process of checking, and the res was still unchanged after a half hour.

Agent #2 was similar, though she saved her negativity for the end ("I want to say no but I'll check"). The change was approved.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 11:35 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I've just found that AA switched my LHR-JFK-CLT to LHR-JFK/EWR-CLT. When I called AA, the initially tried to say that I was never confirmed on JFK-CLT, which is simply untrue as I was ticketed on the web site.

I am currently waiting to see if moving the connection back to JFK gets re-ticketed.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 1:58 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by armus
In 2016 the AAgents are even more pessimistic about entertaining changes in response to schedule changes. I'm flying to Europe via ORD on a sAAver award. The flights to ORD are renumbered at 3 months out and the system moved me to an earlier flight (by just over 2 hours) rather than use a comparable flight.

Agent #1 started the conversation by pointing out I always have the option to cancel if an acceptable solution wasn't found. I cited the desired flight, and he merely said it's not available and asked what I wanted to do instead. I cited rule 80/240 to have the help desk open a seat. He hung up during the process of checking, and the res was still unchanged after a half hour.

Agent #2 was similar, though she saved her negativity for the end ("I want to say no but I'll check"). The change was approved.
Surprisingly, unlike some other airlines, AA does not apply these guidelines to award bookings and require award space for any changes. BA, for example, expressly spells it out in the T&Cs that revenue seats can be used for any involuntary changes. AA does not promise that anywhere unfortunately.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 6:39 pm

I booked an AA award in business but took a downgrade to economy on two segments. There was a schedule change and I will now misconnect. Should I be rebooked on alternative flights in business class because that's what I paid for or economy because that was what I booked?
Old Mar 7, 2016, 6:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by traveldealexpert
I booked an AA award in business but took a downgrade to economy on two segments. There was a schedule change and I will now misconnect. Should I be rebooked on alternative flights in business class because that's what I paid for or economy because that was what I booked?
Certainly no reason not to ask for/campaign for award business, no reason you're not 100% entitled to it, if available.

Last edited by JonNYC; Mar 7, 2016 at 6:48 pm
Old Mar 7, 2016, 6:44 pm

You should ask for business class. They may give it to you. I think the only thing you are technically guaranteed/entitled to is a refund but they are often accommodating, especially on their own metal.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 6:50 pm

Programs: CSP
AA flight changes

I'm flying out to Sint Maarten (SXM) 5/26-5/30, and I booked my flight 3 weeks ago. Since then, my original itinerary has changed a bunch.

My flight into SXM was only changed 30 minutes, which is fine, but my return flight out of SXM has been changed by AA from 2PM to 4:10PM, which doesn't seem all that bad until considering this results in me not arriving at my home airport until 1 AM, and then continuing transportation onwards.

This is a pretty annoying and unexpected - does AA ever provide any kind of compensation for this type of inconvenience?
Old Mar 7, 2016, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
AA flight changes

U can call and request a better routing, or cancel your ticket. I suggest you look for an alternate routing and spoon feed it to the agent. Keep in mind that changes can still occur until flight date.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 8:55 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
This type of thing happens all the time. Airlines are constantly changing schedules. In today's world of travel, you honestly need to expect this and adjust accordingly.

You really have three options now. You can take the new flight they gave you; You can ask them to switch to other flights; Or you can ask for a full refund and find another airline. Getting compensation just is not going to happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.