Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2015, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancellation / refund

The latest change policy may be read here (Thanks to MRP Alert for resource link.)
The above link appears to be broken. The latest change policy, as of June 13, 2023, can be found here.

As of March 2022:
  • Limited changes allowed if schedule change is 60 minutes or less.
  • More flexibility if schedule change is 61 minutes or more.
  • Refunds on non-refundable fares typically require a schedule change of 241 minutes or more.

NOTE: The Detailed Fare Rules for your ticket(s) details refundability, etc. You can read (and print to PDF, etc.) before you purchase. Regardless of fare title (Refundable, Flexible, etc.) you should read these prior to purchase.

beachfan has shared:

I believe if it's an equipment swap, to a less desirable plane (I.e, 777 to 738) then yes, full refund, otherwise it's 120 minutes. One Mile at a Time blog covered this and referred to the contract of carriage (or whatever the linked document is called; it's titled general rules).

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...irplane-change

International Tariff (March 2023)

International General Rules

Code:
SCHEDULE CHANGE
IN THE EVENT, AFTER TICKET ISSUANCE, SCHEDULE
CHANGES ARE MADE BY AA THAT:
(I) AFFECT A PASSENGER'S DEPARTURE AND/OR
ARRIVAL BY 2 OR MORE HOURS;
(II) RESULT IN THE ADDITION OF AN INTERMEDIATE
STOP ON THE PASSENGER'S ITINERARY;
(III) RESULT IN A SUBSTITUTION OF EQUIPMENT NOT
ACCEPTABLE TO THE PASSENGER; OR
(IV) IF A CANCELLATION OR A CHANGE IN EITHER AIR
OR TOUR ITINERARY IS INITIATED EITHER BY AA
OR IT'S TOUR OPERATORS WHICH IS UNACCEPTABLE
TO THE PASSENGER, THE PASSENGER WILL HAVE THE
OPTION OF CANCELLING WITHOUT PENALTY, OR
REROUTING ON DIFFERENT FLIGHTS TO/FROM THE
SAME OR DIFFERENT DESTINATION. HOWEVER, THE
PASSENGER MUST PAY ANY ADDITIONAL AMOUNTS
RESULTING FROM THE REROUTING.
Older posts may be read here.
Print Wikipost

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MADPhil
It was mentioned elsewhere that an equipment change is treated as a schedule change for rebooking purposes.
Wasn't that only found in the international tariff or whatever?
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by JonNYC
I don't know the answer to this question, but the itinerary being referenced (mine) is international, even if the offending leg is itself domestic.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP 75k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat
Prolly a glitch with the planning/website crew. I can't foresee a Dreamliner ORD-LAX unless it's meant to send it LAX elsewhere. Currently ex-LAX, this might be a HND bound or something.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
That does seem to be the only place I can find it on aa.com. I think the thread was the Hawaii flights one but it may have crept in by mistake.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by muoitrieu
Prolly a glitch with the planning/website crew. I can't foresee a Dreamliner ORD-LAX unless it's meant to send it LAX elsewhere. Currently ex-LAX, this might be a HND bound or something.
There is a daily ORD-LAX 788; AA2225 today for example.

The only place that does list the complete rules does appear to be under the international section; the general page on aa.com pretty much says anything and everything goes. My favorite line: "AA does not have to operate according to schedule".

Regardless, I was flying ORD-LAX-DEN for the sake of being on a 788. It would have been $25 cheaper to just fly nonstop, or at least a different routing that wouldn't get me in a 1am.

Since AA isn't dishing out extra RDM's, and I'm already EXP so need to get more EQMs, I fail to see why it's such a hassle to request a change (especially one 3 months out).

This is the only remotely relevant part from AA's site:

"American may, without notice, substitute alternate carriers or aircraft and, if necessary, may alter or omit stopping places shown on the ticket. Schedules are subject to change without notice. American is not responsible for or liable for failure to make connections, or to operate any flight according to schedule, or for a change to the schedule of any flight. Under no circumstances shall American be liable for any special, incidental or consequential damages arising from the foregoing."

It doesn't explicitly state anything about changing/being eligible for a refund.

Last edited by BThumme; Aug 22, 2016 at 9:53 pm
Old Aug 22, 2016, 11:01 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by BThumme
There is a daily ORD-LAX 788; AA2225 today for example.

The only place that does list the complete rules does appear to be under the international section; the general page on aa.com pretty much says anything and everything goes. My favorite line: "AA does not have to operate according to schedule".

Regardless, I was flying ORD-LAX-DEN for the sake of being on a 788. It would have been $25 cheaper to just fly nonstop, or at least a different routing that wouldn't get me in a 1am.

Since AA isn't dishing out extra RDM's, and I'm already EXP so need to get more EQMs, I fail to see why it's such a hassle to request a change (especially one 3 months out).

This is the only remotely relevant part from AA's site:

"American may, without notice, substitute alternate carriers or aircraft and, if necessary, may alter or omit stopping places shown on the ticket. Schedules are subject to change without notice. American is not responsible for or liable for failure to make connections, or to operate any flight according to schedule, or for a change to the schedule of any flight. Under no circumstances shall American be liable for any special, incidental or consequential damages arising from the foregoing."

It doesn't explicitly state anything about changing/being eligible for a refund.
There's no ORD-LAX 787 on one day I've booked (Nov 23)
Old Aug 22, 2016, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
There's no ORD-LAX 787 on one day I've booked (Nov 23)
My 787 on Nov 23 (DFW-ORD) got moved up to 10am from 7am. I was supposed to be on ORD-LAX on Nov 28; I saw in another thread a poster had mentioned they yanked the 787 on that route in November (but it's still active in December).
Old Aug 23, 2016, 10:49 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
So as I posted above I'm now stuck on a 32B instead of 788 for an ORD-LAX leg. The itinerary is actually ORD-LAX-HKG - SWU'd A and C class respectively.

I wonder how likely it is that I can ask for a reroute ORD-LHR-HKG on the equipment downgauge basis? Surprisingly the departure and arrival times are virtually the same.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 7:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
So as I posted above I'm now stuck on a 32B instead of 788 for an ORD-LAX leg. The itinerary is actually ORD-LAX-HKG - SWU'd A and C class respectively.

I wonder how likely it is that I can ask for a reroute ORD-LHR-HKG on the equipment downgauge basis? Surprisingly the departure and arrival times are virtually the same.
I'd see no chance of them offering to let you route via LHR to HKG-- using BA in the process, no less, on your current AA ORD-LAX-HKG ticket, due to an equipment downgrade on the ORD-LAX flight. And that's being polite about it
Old Aug 24, 2016, 7:50 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I'd see no chance of them offering to let you route via LHR to HKG-- using BA in the process, no less, on your current AA ORD-LAX-HKG ticket, due to an equipment downgrade on the ORD-LAX flight. And that's being polite about it
Would that be due to the 'equipment downgauge' clause not applicable on the short haul sector?

The 'framework' was the AA 77W to LHR followed by the first CX departure out of LHR. But of course that's a stretch - I basically don't fly with AA much to begin with.

Anyway, 5 hours in the 32B is not the end of the world, but I just had the thought Thanks.

OTOH, on my return sector, I was supposed to fly HKG-LAX then connecting to a 6pm LAX-ORD that would get me back to Chicago by midnight but now with this service being cut, they put me on a red-eye instead giving me a 7 hour layover. Any chance I can fight for a reroute after my SWU clears (which is not happening yet)? I'm not really asking for anything like JL/CX but even 138 through DFW would be much more bearable than 7 hours at LAX, possibly denied to enter QF, then a 738 red eye. Or would the 'processing the SWU' part count as an 'acceptance' of the schedule change?

Thanks again...(i admit I did have this thought of unnecessary 'scamming' with the outbound, but the inbound layover is quite a pain now...)
Old Aug 25, 2016, 6:59 am

Programs: BA GGL, FB Platinum, Delta Nothing, HHonors Diamond, IAG Gold Ambassador, Ritz Silver, SPG Gold
I just had a paid F (old 777) downgraded to J (763) for a CDG-MIA sector in November. Is it reasonable to expect them to re-route me same day via London on the 77W? I have no interest in flying J. Just want to know what to expect when I call.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 7:10 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by FrenchMerican
I just had a paid F (old 777) downgraded to J (763) for a CDG-MIA sector in November. Is it reasonable to expect them to re-route me same day via London on the 77W? I have no interest in flying J. Just want to know what to expect when I call.
Yes. Have the specific flights you want in mind when you call. Another option might be CDG-DFW-MIA.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
We have AANYTIME award tickets from SNA-DFW-EGE. AA has made a schedule change which makes it impossible to get from California to EGE the same day - there is now one flight a day DFW-EGE, at 10:35 AM, until the Christmas holidays.

I was really annoyed because they haven't even notified us; my husband just discovered it when he was importing his upcoming flights into Outlook and noticed the overlap of us arriving at DFW at 11:15 AM but leaving at 10:35.

Now that I'm over my annoyance enough to consider my options before I call AA:

1. I could ask for a refund of miles & fee which I'm sure they'll grant. We'd then have to pay cash for LAX-DEN - I'm not willing to pay AAnytime rates for a $300 flight. Any chance they'd open up standard award availability for us for the inconvenience? (I'm probably dreaming here)

2. We're not willing to be put on a red-eye, but we'd be willing to be on an evening flight and spend the night in an airport hotel to fly out of DFW the next morning. Will AA book the night-before flight for us? I can't get it to route that way online (it's less than a 12 hour layover). Would they be willing to pay for the hotel or throw some miles our way to make up for it? (I know I'm dreaming on that one).

Anything else I should consider before calling?
Old Aug 25, 2016, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by ehallison
2. We're not willing to be put on a red-eye, but we'd be willing to be on an evening flight and spend the night in an airport hotel to fly out of DFW the next morning. Will AA book the night-before flight for us? I can't get it to route that way online (it's less than a 12 hour layover). Would they be willing to pay for the hotel or throw some miles our way to make up for it? (I know I'm dreaming on that one).

Anything else I should consider before calling?
For an Anytime award that has a schedule impossibility now, I think the night before is a very reasonable ask. Just have the flight number and date handy. It will require some sort of force to be done systematically, but I think it is a mandatory layover in effect. Could they force you to a red-eye? Well, yes, but if the flights are on the same date, should not be a problem asking for an earlier flight.

Rasheed
Old Aug 27, 2016, 12:48 pm

Location: AA EXP & Life Plat; AA 4MM; TWA Life Plat; HH Diamond
Here's a question of what do we think is reasonably likely to get accomplished.

I've got 2 passengers including myself flying LGA-ORD-LAX-HKG Rt - coach fare with a total of 4 SWUs for RT confirmation of upgrades on all flights in both directions. (That's why I routed over ORD). The ORD-LAX flight was/is AA225 which was a 787 and is now a 32B (as mentioned above).

The 787 is now leaving about 1.5 hours earlier from Ord. I picked this route because of the 787 (and the confirmable upgrades).

What are my likely achievable change options with the EXP desk:
1) Reroute via the co-terminal JFK-LAX NS and override for c class for the SWU?
2) Rebook to earlier LGA-ORD to connect to ORD-LAX in 787?

Would any of these have a cost (other than junk tax changes)?

I appreciate any suggestions/insights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.