Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Earning AA AAdvantage Miles /LPs on CX / Cathay (including Upgrade Issues)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 11, 2015, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Earning Elite Qualifying Miles and Dollars, and Award Miles Flying on Cathay Pacific Airways
including earning on upgraded flights, flights between YVR and JFK
link to page on aa.com.

To earn AAdvantage® miles when you fly on Cathay Pacific marketed and operated flights as well as Cathay Pacific codeshare flights operated by oneworld® carriers and affiliates:
  • Buy an eligible published fare ticket in an eligible booking code
  • Fly an eligible route

On most flights marketed by partner airlines, you earn award miles based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class of your ticket. Specific flights, routes or cities that are excluded from earning miles or award travel are listed as exceptions if applicable.KNOWN ISSUES
  • Economy fares other than Y, B or H on CX do not earn AAdvantage miles
  • B and H only earn fractional (75%) credit on AA
  • Upgrades purchased with CX miles may book into ineligible fare classes, causing challenges getting AA to credit the originally purchased fare class (see below)
  • there are a few fare classes that CX says do not earn AAdvantage miles, whereas aa.com says they will, as do members reporting their experiences here
  • JFK-YVR and YVR-JFK do accrue EQ and miles on eligible fares. JFK-YVR-HKG accrues as if nonstop JFK-HKG.
  • Premium Economy fare W on Cathay Pacific will earn an additional 10% class of service bonus with the exception of W fares between Hong Kong and Bangkok, which will not earn a class of service bonus, and Premium Economy R or E, which earn no class of service bonus.

AAdvantage Elite members members traveling on Cathay also enjoy:
Additional elite status bonus miles

If you fly CX as an AA codeshare / marketed flight, you will earn as if you were flying on AA.

Cathay Pacific marketed (“codeshare”) flights must be operated by a oneworld® or affiliate airline to earn AAdvantage miles. The ticketing or selling carrier or agent is immaterial to earnings.

It is always advised to try to assure your AA Frequent Flyer Number is on your boarding passes, and we always advise retaining your boarding passes (or take screen shots of e-boarding passes) until your instruments have all posted.

Upgrading to First on Cathay Pacific Airways and U, Z Fare Class Issues

Upgrading a paid Business fare to First on Cathay Pacific Airways puts the flight into fare class "Z", a class that is ineligible for AAdvantage miles accrual (as reflected on the accrual chart) because it is also an award classification for a First Class award.

Upgrading a paid Premium Economy fare to Business puts it into U class, another award fare class that earns no AA miles.

Members have recently reported success at having their upgrades acknowledged as accruing miles, but it may require persistence.

Originally Posted by BosTravel
I had the same issue. I upgraded from Biz to F using Asia Miles, but left my AA number in the reservation.

The outbound flight credited automatically without intervention.

The inbound flight did not credit and I submitted the Missing Mileage Request. That request got denied due to ineligible fare class. All I did was call the ExecPlat desk and ask for AAdvantage Customer Service, who had record of the denied claim. I explained I paid for Biz, upgraded to F, and provided them with my original ticket number (both ticker numbers were on CX stock). Call took about 5 minutes and miles (and EQM/EQP) posted to the account the next day.
and

Originally Posted by gohima
I just wanted to post the conclusion to my saga, that started with the brilliant idea to upgrade two CX flights in February (yes, 4 months ago).

Well, I Fedex'd a letter to the executive's office, which arrived Friday. Today, I received an email from an "executive liason" who said they agreed that "R" to "U" via an upgrade should be mileage earning and manually adjusted my account to receive credit. Account and status now reflects those flights.

So despite certain aagents and lower-level SUPs saying this is CX's problem and to go pound sand, AA actually can do something about it (albit at a higher level than a regular SUP, I assume). By the phrasing of the answer, I would say this isn't a one time exception but rather what is supposed to happen for these flights.

Godspeed to any other souls on this journey.
Possible snail mail or FedEx to:

Sean Bentel
Vice President -- Customer and Relations
4333 Amon Carter Blvd
Fort Worth, TX 76155
Thanks to nkedel.

Also see: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-partners.html

Link to archive of older posts
Print Wikipost

Earning AA AAdvantage Miles /LPs on CX / Cathay (including Upgrade Issues)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2024, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA - EXP
CX credited to AA OP-Up

Kia Ora,

Was lucky enough a week ago (2/9) to get an Op-Up from PE to J on CX - HKG - CHC.

My PE JFK - HKG connection posted quickly, however, yet to see the HKG - CHC post. I fly CX a lot and in 2022 and 2023 all my CX travels posted to my AA account within 2-3 days max.

My concern is that the Op-Up somehow messed the posting up. ROOKIE mistake but I didn't take a picture of the HKG - CHC PE boarding pass as I was given my J boarding pass and handed the PE back to the lounge agent in The Pier.

OFC, the official line is 2 weeks however, if I were to apply for missing credit would my J boarding pass suffice?

Anyone have any anecdotal wisdom to share of Op-Ups?

Thanks all!
Old Feb 15, 2024, 6:14 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Only way to tell will be if you submit your CX boarding pass to AA and see what CX says to them.

I had the opposite happen, where I was booked in intra Asia PE and downgraded to Y the day of departure due to an equipment change, and nothing credited. After submitting the docs to AA, they said CX rejected the request because as part of the downgrade they had rebooked me to an ineligible Y class!
Old Feb 15, 2024, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Keep your J boarding pass along with your purchase receipt email. The latter demonstrates what you paid, the former that you took the flight.

I’m about 50/50 getting mileage credit from CX automatically regardless of Op-Ups.

AA understands free upgrades, so if you have to submit a missing miles request, you just tell them you were upgraded and show them your receipt for the fare class you bought.
mosfet likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by dw
I had the opposite happen, where I was booked in intra Asia PE and downgraded to Y the day of departure due to an equipment change, and nothing credited. After submitting the docs to AA, they said CX rejected the request because as part of the downgrade they had rebooked me to an ineligible Y class!
Me too… downgraded SIN-HKG, though CX issued a cash refund immediately at check-in, plus some additional vouchers on top of that. (They actually blocked me from using OLCI so that I had to see an agent and get an on-the-spot cash refund plus compensation.) If a refund occurs, you probably don’t have much of a leg to stand on. I forget whether I ended up getting any credit after review, but it was denied at first. I think I tried to request Original Routing Credit, but can’t remember what they said.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 6:40 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by javabytes
Me too… downgraded SIN-HKG, though CX issued a cash refund immediately at check-in, plus some additional vouchers on top of that. (They actually blocked me from using OLCI so that I had to see an agent and get an on-the-spot cash refund plus compensation.) If a refund occurs, you probably don’t have much of a leg to stand on. I forget whether I ended up getting any credit after review, but it was denied at first. I think I tried to request Original Routing Credit, but can’t remember what they said.
In my case it was in conjunction with a transpacific PE flight, so I did not receive any cash compensation (I suppose their argument is that the fare does not change regardless of whether your intra-Asia connecting flight is in Y or PE), but I did receive an upgrade voucher for a future flight.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dw
In my case it was in conjunction with a transpacific PE flight, so I did not receive any cash compensation (I suppose their argument is that the fare does not change regardless of whether your intra-Asia connecting flight is in Y or PE), but I did receive an upgrade voucher for a future flight.
Mine was also part of a connection to a TPAC PE flight
Old Apr 11, 2024, 8:11 am

Programs: US Airways DM Silver, United Mileage Plus
Help with CX mileage credit to AA

I booked a PE ticket on CX, for travel in early Jan 2024 with the routing BOM-HKG-JFK. I wanted this to be credited to my AA account so entered my FF number in the reservation. I arrived at the airport and my misadventure began. The first leg unfortunately got delayed and was cancelled due to mechanical issues, and I pestered CX to rebook me on BA leaving BOM to JFK via LHR. They rebooked me, but the BA flight leaving BOM was delayed by an hour and so I was rebooked again on Virgin Atlantic from LHR to JFK. I sent an email to AA customer service asking for original routing credit, not sure if this is a thing with CX though. AA got back to me a month later asking for my boarding passes, and I gave them the CX ones, as I didn't want to get into explaining my reroute on BA/Virgin etc. AA dragged its feet for 2 months, and just got back to me saying that CX denied my mileage request as the "airline was unable to validate". So I'm at a loss right now, and not sure what my options are here. It makes sense that CX was unable to validate, since I didn't actually fly them. But why can't they give me original routing credit? I had my AA FF number on the BA reservation as well, but the miles for the BOM-LHR leg never posted, and needless to say, I won't get anything from Virgin for the next leg anyway. Any idea or suggestions on what I can do to get the miles owed to me?
Old Apr 11, 2024, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by mrwise
I booked a PE ticket on CX, for travel in early Jan 2024 with the routing BOM-HKG-JFK. I wanted this to be credited to my AA account so entered my FF number in the reservation. I arrived at the airport and my misadventure began. The first leg unfortunately got delayed and was cancelled due to mechanical issues, and I pestered CX to rebook me on BA leaving BOM to JFK via LHR. They rebooked me, but the BA flight leaving BOM was delayed by an hour and so I was rebooked again on Virgin Atlantic from LHR to JFK. I sent an email to AA customer service asking for original routing credit, not sure if this is a thing with CX though. AA got back to me a month later asking for my boarding passes, and I gave them the CX ones, as I didn't want to get into explaining my reroute on BA/Virgin etc. AA dragged its feet for 2 months, and just got back to me saying that CX denied my mileage request as the "airline was unable to validate". So I'm at a loss right now, and not sure what my options are here. It makes sense that CX was unable to validate, since I didn't actually fly them. But why can't they give me original routing credit? I had my AA FF number on the BA reservation as well, but the miles for the BOM-LHR leg never posted, and needless to say, I won't get anything from Virgin for the next leg anyway. Any idea or suggestions on what I can do to get the miles owed to me?
They should be able to give you ORC but you're going to have to get someone at AA that knows what they're doing to look at it. If you just sent an email to customer relations they most likely just forwarded it to the missing miles request people, who in turn just treated it like any other request and denied it once CX invalidated it.

I would call AAdvantage Customer Service (800-882-8880, not the normal reservations number) and ask specifically for original routing credit. Leave out the details of the delay BA flight etc., not really relevant, just tell them you booked the CX flights but were rebooked onto another carrier due to a cancellation and now you need AA credit for the CX flights you originally booked.
Old Apr 11, 2024, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
They should be able to give you ORC but you're going to have to get someone at AA that knows what they're doing to look at it. If you just sent an email to customer relations they most likely just forwarded it to the missing miles request people, who in turn just treated it like any other request and denied it once CX invalidated it.

I would call AAdvantage Customer Service (800-882-8880, not the normal reservations number) and ask specifically for original routing credit. Leave out the details of the delay BA flight etc., not really relevant, just tell them you booked the CX flights but were rebooked onto another carrier due to a cancellation and now you need AA credit for the CX flights you originally booked.
Makes sense, I suppose that's exactly what happened, thank you so much JJeffrey! I'll call AAdvantage today.
Old Apr 11, 2024, 11:48 am
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mrwise
Makes sense, I suppose that's exactly what happened, thank you so much JJeffrey! I'll call AAdvantage today.
You never put in your Virgin (or Delta) FF number in for that segment flown with them, right? - I've had issues when AA has rebooked me onto UA and I've put in my UA number so I still get benefits, AA has come back and said that UA gave me credit, so they can't (even for the one leg that was still flown on AA), and I haven't pressed further.
Old Apr 11, 2024, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by S80
You never put in your Virgin (or Delta) FF number in for that segment flown with them, right? - I've had issues when AA has rebooked me onto UA and I've put in my UA number so I still get benefits, AA has come back and said that UA gave me credit, so they can't (even for the one leg that was still flown on AA), and I haven't pressed further.
I don't have a Virgin or Delta FF number, and even if I did, there wasn't time for me to add it to the reservation as I was rushing to catch my connection. I think the issue here is that I probably went the wrong route with claiming my miles, should have called AA and asked for ORC.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey

JJeffrey, your advice came in clutch! I called AAdvantage CS who resolved my issue in 15 min! I waited three months to hear a no from regular AA customer service, sigh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.