Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2012, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
The current version of this thread can be found here:

FAQ: What's a Systemwide Upgrade / SWU / eVIP / VIP? (Master thread)
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2015, 11:45 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Shouldn't be a problem. I flew BA DUB-LHR last month with the continuing segments to SFO on AA that were upgraded with a systemwide. Not the first time I've started the homeward trip with a BA segment and never a problem applying the upgrade to the AA segments.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 12:00 pm

Ok - thanks. I was hoping that was the case but wasn't totally sure.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 11:16 am

Programs: AA EXP
What happens if I'm waitlisted for SWU for flights next January, but I use up all my SWUs on flights before then (say by July), knowing that I'll re-qualify for EXP around November and have a fresh set of SWUs available?

Will I be taken off the waitlist for the January flights? If not, if C inventory opens up in October, will I be passed up for the upgrade as I won't have an SWU by then? Something else?
Old Apr 8, 2015, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA - Exec Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Spire, Hertz President Circle
So is it possible to call BEFORE you book to see if SWU will clear?
Old Apr 8, 2015, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by tt120
So is it possible to call BEFORE you book to see if SWU will clear?
Yes. Of course the availability can disappear by the time you book. The best thing to do is put the flight on hold and then call to apply the SWU.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 5:09 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP Gold 100K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Hi,
My friend has offered to sponsor an upgrade using one of his SWUs. When pricing out the fare, the fare is breaking at one of the stops. As it is not a through fare, does this mean I cannot upgrade all three legs of my itinerary?

Thanks!
Old Apr 12, 2015, 10:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Barbella7
Hi,
My friend has offered to sponsor an upgrade using one of his SWUs. When pricing out the fare, the fare is breaking at one of the stops. As it is not a through fare, does this mean I cannot upgrade all three legs of my itinerary?
Fare breaks don't matter for SWUs.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
N00b EXP here, is it possible to apply a SWU to a US Flight? My choice for a flight next week is AA 757 or US A330. Thinking US is the better option. Is it possible to waitlist if not available? I assume I need to book on US.com so it isn't a codeshare? Are the fare classes to check on EF now the same as AA? C for biz upgrade?
Old Apr 14, 2015, 1:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ellinj
N00b EXP here, is it possible to apply a SWU to a US Flight? My choice for a flight next week is AA 757 or US A330. Thinking US is the better option. Is it possible to waitlist if not available? I assume I need to book on US.com so it isn't a codeshare? Are the fare classes to check on EF now the same as AA? C for biz upgrade?
1. You can apply an SWU to a US flight
2. However, you unfortunately cannot waitlist on US.
3. Yes, get it on 037 stock, no codeshares!
4. Yes, look for C inventory.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
1. You can apply an SWU to a US flight
2. However, you unfortunately cannot waitlist on US.
3. Yes, get it on 037 stock, no codeshares!
4. Yes, look for C inventory.
Just to confirm, you must book the US flight as US flight (not the AA codeshare) but you can book it through any source (not just USair.com), right? In other words, you can buy the US flights on AA.com and call AA and apply the SWU I believe.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Ross0
Just to confirm, you must book the US flight as US flight (not the AA codeshare) but you can book it through any source (not just USair.com), right? In other words, you can buy the US flights on AA.com and call AA and apply the SWU I believe.
I believe that if you buy on AA.com you will end up with an AA codeshare.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by SJC AA
I believe that if you buy on AA.com you will end up with an AA codeshare.
No, AA.com sells US prime flights as well.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 5:36 pm

Best Uses for Upgrades?

Hubby is new to AA (via US Air) but I manage travel. As a CP, he got 8 upgrades. As he continues to fly, he seems to get upgraded without using the certificates -- same as US Air. I'm doubtful we will travel internationally anytime soon. I've read on AA and searched the forums but I don't understand the value other than giving them to someone who isn't travelling with him or on his record. Example -- he and son were upgraded on Saturday from SFO to ATL without using the upgrade certificate. For what it's worth, ATL is the airport we use most.

Thanks
Old Apr 15, 2015, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by jacqbaz
Hubby is new to AA (via US Air) but I manage travel. As a CP, he got 8 upgrades. As he continues to fly, he seems to get upgraded without using the certificates -- same as US Air. I'm doubtful we will travel internationally anytime soon. I've read on AA and searched the forums but I don't understand the value other than giving them to someone who isn't travelling with him or on his record. Example -- he and son were upgraded on Saturday from SFO to ATL without using the upgrade certificate. For what it's worth, ATL is the airport we use most.

Thanks
Those 8 upgrades are SWUs, these are good for an upgrade to the next class of service for up to 3 AA/US flights in one direction. They are most valuable on long haul flights, but can be used on Domestic flights as well.

As an EXP, your husband gets unlimited free upgrades (space permitting) on Flights within North America. If he flies AA with a companion and wants to upgrade them, he needs 500 mile upgrades (stickers). For now, when flying US, Domestic upgrades are free for all elites and their companion. (This is presumably what your son experienced.)

What can you do with SWU's if you don't fly to Asia/Europe/South America?
You can use them to upgrade domestic flights that look hard to clear using the regular "sticker" upgrades, as the inventory required to clear SWUs often opens up first. SWUs can also clear in advance whilst the regular sticket upgrades only start clearing 100 hours at the earliest.

You can also use the SWUs to upgrade from 3 class J to F (this can't be done with stickers). The only 3 class domestic flights I'm aware of are JFK-LAX/SFO and MIA-LAX.

The other option is to give them away to:
Friends, relatives, Flyertalkers or even to certain charities.

Note: You are not not allowed to sell or barter them.

Hope this helps!
Old Apr 18, 2015, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond
something of value to single travelers

Looking at an upgrade list waiting for flight to Rome ... I'm at top and my wife and daughter at the bottom. Checked with TA, Admirals agent and gate... My options are to fly separate from family or give up.

Family vacations being my purpose for remaining loyal through year, this is disconcerting ... Another year with ultimately expiring SWU. Struggling to see the value any longer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.