Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2012, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
The current version of this thread can be found here:

FAQ: What's a Systemwide Upgrade / SWU / eVIP / VIP? (Master thread)
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2014, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton, Marriott Rewards,SPG
Originally Posted by Stripy
Thanks for the advice! It looks like CC is the best bet....although I'm reluctant to go down that route having seen AA step up it's auditing of accounts recently. I know this isn't the same as the activities that have brought the wrath of AA down on some people but still, trading SWUs with someone you have never met, may not be able to name and certainly wouldn't recognise seems a bit risky :-)
Coupon connection was shut down yesterday by the moderators pending a redesign.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 8:12 am

Programs: AA EXP
Just cleared an upgrade on the JFK-BCN leg for the MIA-LGA/JFK-BCN flight. Strangely the MIA-LGA leg wasn't upgraded automatically (even though there is availability). Is it possible that the agent waitlisted only JFK-BCN leg without MIA-LGA? Seems strange to me.

Also the column "Upgrade Required" for JFK-BCN is empty and "Request upgrade?" shows "N/A". For the outbound flight that cleared shortly after I booked it, it says "Systemwide Upgrade" and "Confirmed".

Sorry, first time doing this. Not sure how things happen.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 1:46 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by TokinaMaso
Just cleared an upgrade on the JFK-BCN leg for the MIA-LGA/JFK-BCN flight. Strangely the MIA-LGA leg wasn't upgraded automatically (even though there is availability). Is it possible that the agent waitlisted only JFK-BCN leg without MIA-LGA? Seems strange to me.

Also the column "Upgrade Required" for JFK-BCN is empty and "Request upgrade?" shows "N/A". For the outbound flight that cleared shortly after I booked it, it says "Systemwide Upgrade" and "Confirmed".

Sorry, first time doing this. Not sure how things happen.
Just call. Best way to verify what has been wait listed and what can be cleared.
Old May 17, 2014, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
If wait listed for SWU on intl flight and there are seats available at the gate, do they clear those willing to use SWU before pushback or does there still have to be C availability? Basically I'm asking are they willing to let seats go out empty or will they take your SWU and put you in it if available?
Old May 17, 2014, 7:33 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I was #1 on the airport list, then slipped to #3 as two golds who used swus to get JFK-mxp upgraded (a while ago) were put on the waitlist ahead of me. I was told it's just like someone using an intl J award where the domestic leg wasn't available in J.

I thought when usin SWUs (I also used one) it was a segment by segment prioritization. I guess I was wrong?
Old May 17, 2014, 9:10 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by beachfan
I was #1 on the airport list, then slipped to #3 as two golds who used swus to get JFK-mxp upgraded (a while ago) were put on the waitlist ahead of me. I was told it's just like someone using an intl J award where the domestic leg wasn't available in J.

I thought when usin SWUs (I also used one) it was a segment by segment prioritization. I guess I was wrong?
I'm confused. Were you all traveling JFK-MXP, or were you on a connector going to JFK and the golds were continuing on to MXP? Otherwise I don't see how a gold could move ahead on the U/G list over an EXP when you're both using the same upgrade currency.
Old May 17, 2014, 9:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by beachfan

Please list the actual itin and the actually flight you were " #1 on the airport list"-- without that basic info, impossible to tell what the issue is.

Last edited by JonNYC; May 17, 2014 at 10:55 am
Old May 17, 2014, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
If wait listed for SWU on intl flight and there are seats available at the gate, do they clear those willing to use SWU before pushback or does there still have to be C availability? Basically I'm asking are they willing to let seats go out empty or will they take your SWU and put you in it if available?
I think the way it works is that your SWU goes on the PALL list and thus you're on the airport upgrade list (although it's a different notation than sticker/complimentary upgrades, but that doesn't apply on most international flights anyway). If there are seats, they will utilize the list, so your upgrade will clear. It's not like an award where they'd sometimes rather let a seat go empty than open up an award.

What they won't necessarily do is roll J forward to F in order to make room for Y->J upgrades. They'll only do this in oversell situations.
Old May 17, 2014, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Please list the actual itin and the actually flight you were " #1 on the airport list"-- without that basic info, impossible to tell what the issue is.
Today, may 17th, flight 118, lax-jfk@6:50 (or6:55) AM.
That's the only outbound segment for me.
Thanks for asking!
Old May 17, 2014, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by danville 1K
I'm confused. Were you all traveling JFK-MXP, or were you on a connector going to JFK and the golds were continuing on to MXP? Otherwise I don't see how a gold could move ahead on the U/G list over an EXP when you're both using the same upgrade currency.
The latter. They were on 2 flights, a transcontinental and then TAtl, I was oy on the transcont.
Old May 28, 2014, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I feel like I just won the lottery. Haven't used any of the husband's 8 SWU's yet this year and the school district finally released the school calendar for next year. Started pounding away on expertflyer and we are going in to Amsterdam and returning from Brussels thru London both ways on 135/136. I bought all 4 tickets, a rarity for me. And even more rare I was able to apply SWU's for me and my husband to the LAX-LHR segment on the way out, and to ALL FOUR OF US on the way back. The flight back happens to be on my older daughter's 16th birthday. I just texted her this, she's at school:

Most kids wouldn't understand, but I think having been raised in this family, she will.

Thank you Expertflyer!

Also- I suppose this answers the perennial question about using SWU's after Feb 2015. I just did.
Old May 28, 2014, 10:36 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
That's quite a coup. You should consider putting the girls in the A or J seats. They would probably appreciate the window access during the daytime flight.
Old May 29, 2014, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I had waitlist an SWU for a flight tomorrow and it did not clear by check-in. I know of course the waitlist will go by when I checked in (didn't have internet until 30 min ago so unfortunately that means 3.5 hours elapsed).

All that is fine and the flight is only showing J1 and everything else 0 so this is likely a moot point.

The point I'm getting to is on AA under "upgrade required" it now lists it as "mileage upgrade" instead of "systemwide upgrade." I have no interest in using miles for this upgrade if it clears as I have more than enough SWUs to pull from (and I'm in 11C so there's no need to waste miles + copay if the SWU doesn't clear). I just want to make sure I don't need to call in and have the EXP desk look at the reservation and make sure in the event I get lucky and it clears, that it pulls an SWU and not miles.
Old May 29, 2014, 2:21 am

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Looking at Flt 963 for August 7th from DFW-GRU. 2 seats are blocked and the rest (50/52) are open. No SWU available. First is wide open. EXP agent said they are holding back many EVIPs now. Interesting.
Old May 30, 2014, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I can't decide whether or not I'm frustrated enough by my experience last night in LIM to write in to AA or not so I'm going to vent here because I need to vent it somewhere.

So brief overview - as noted in my post 2 above for some reason AA after check-in changed my listed upgrade request from "systemwide upgrade" to "mileage upgrade" - something I did not request.

Anyway I get to LIM last night and I'm showing #1 on the upgrade list all night with 1 seat open. So I go to board and before I hand them my BP, I mention that I was number one and inquire if my upgrade had cleared.

The GA told me the seat in question was broken and wouldn't recline. I told him I still wanted to use the upgrade (I fly nearly 99% domestic and had 6 SWUs remaining at the time and will struggle to use them all before next February). He then asked if I'd been informed I would need to make a co-pay. I told him I hadn't spoken to anyone (I used the check-in machine to print my ticket) but that I had no intention to use miles and wanted to use one of my SWUs of which I had 6.

He starts to protest and then calls over his supervisor. They start talking in Spanish (I speak enough to have a basic conversation but not enough to have a clue what they were saying) and eventually he tells me I have to wait 5 minutes because they have to verify my SWUs.

20 minutes later, they're making final boarding calls, both the supervisor and GA I was dealing with were still standing in front of me at the desk but helping other people and just blatantly ignoring me. Finally I pushed back in before the supervisor could help the next person in line to ask what the heck was going on and she said "they're checking on the seat to see if it works" this despite the fact I told them 25 minutes earlier I had no problem with the broken seat. After emphasizing that point the supervisor finally and reluctantly turns to another GA and instructs her to print out a BP for me.

I don't know what the heck the deal was and why it was so complicated but it was an incredibly annoying experience and pretty incredible that they left an EXP just standing at the podium for 25 minutes pretending I didn't exist even though I'd already held a conversation with them about the situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.