Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What are Executive Platinum / EP / EXP benefits? Are they worth it? (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2014, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
What are Executive Platinum / EP / EXP benefits? Are they worth it?

Link to oneworld web page “Emerald Privileges”

Executive Platinum status requirements: rack up 200,000 Loyalty Points in one calendar year

*See FT: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

(Members NO LONGER must fly at least 4 American Airlines marketed segments during the qualifying year to receive elite status.)

Status will last the current status year and the following status year - earn EP during 2019, your status ends 31 Jan 2021.

Preferred benefits:
  • Complimentary Main Cabin Extra and Preferred Seats
  • Up to three (3) free checked bags with oneworld benefit, 32 kg / 70 lbs ea. (extends to all traveling companions same PNR)
  • Minimum mileage guarantee available[/color] (for EQM only as of 1 Aug 2016)
  • 100% elite mileage bonus (changed to 11 Award miles per "fare dollar" (base fare plus carrier fees, not taxes) spent as of 1 Aug 2016)
  • Guaranteed Main Cabin seat availability [/color] (up to 24 hrs from departure)
  • Systemwide Upgrades (see below)
  • First class lounge access qualifying longhaul international and MEX** (see below)

Airport benefits
  • Check in at First Class counter)
  • Priority Lane / Fast Track through the airport at check-in, security and boarding (link) (see post #472 - link)
  • Checked bag fee waived for three (3) bags up to 70 lb / 32 kg
  • Priority baggage delivery
  • Complimentary same-day standby
  • Complimentary same-day flight change on American Airlines
  • Discounted Admirals Club® membership
  • Flagship Lounge and Admirals Club access on qualifying flights, regardless of class

Upgrade benefits (on AA)
  • 100-hour upgrade window
  • Flights* 500 miles or less: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades
  • Flights* over 500 miles: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades*
  • Upgrade one companion traveling with you on the same flight with 500-mile upgrades*
  • As of June 2017, Executive Platinum members can use their complimentary 500-mile upgrade benefits on AAdvantage® award tickets for travel on American from Main Cabin to the next class."
  • Courtesy 500 mile Upgrades confirmed before departure (as early as) 100 hours
  • *Upgrades on American are valid on American marketed and operated flights, within and between the U.S. (including Hawaii) and between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Bahamas, the Caribbean, Bermuda and Central America (based on availability). Upgrades are valid from the Main Cabin to the next class of service.
  • Executive Platinum members DO NOT earn 500-mile upgrades.

Systemwide Upgrades (SWU)
You’ll receive four (4) systemwide upgrades (8 SWU years prior to c/y 2016 ) when you qualify or re-qualify for Executive Platinum status.
You may earn two more SWU at 150,000 EQM, and again at 200,000 EQM
SWU upgrades are valid, when available, for one-way travel on any American Airlines marketed and operated flight (up to 3 segments) and you can give them to anyone, even if you're not traveling with them.

Linkto further SWU information

Other benefits
  • Exclusive Executive Platinum service desk (actual separate dedicated call center staff)
  • Waived ticketing service charge
  • Guaranteed availability in the Main Cabin*
  • Waitlist priority for purchased First or Business Class (on American)
  • Complimentary alcoholic beverage and snack in the Main Cabin / coach (no, does not extend to traveling companion)
  • Complimentary preferred seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Complimentary Main Cabin Extra seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Two EP baggage tags
  • Exclusive partner offers

Award benefits
  • Extended MileSAAver award availability (must call EXP Desk, your FFN must be used during the award search, availability is not unlimited)
  • Award processing charge waived (awards within twenty-one days of travel)
  • AAdvantage award change and reinstatement charge waived (for awards reinstated to the EP member's account)
  • Special discounts on hotel and car awards

oneworld benefits*
  • oneworld priority check-in and standby
  • oneworld priority boarding
  • oneworld priority security
  • oneworld partner lounge access** First Class and frequent flyer lounges
  • Extended 3 bags and weight (32 kg / 70 lbs ea.)

*oneworld benefits are available only to passengers on scheduled flights that are both marketed and operated by a oneworld member airline (marketed means that there must be a oneworld member airline flight number on your ticket).
**AAdvantage member access to American Airlines lounges excluded (regardless of status or class of service) if traveling within North America or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean.

Link to aa.com guide to AAdvantage Elite benefits (all levels)

Link to aa.com AAdvantage Elite Status benefit comparison charts

Link to aa.com [b]Elite Status Benefit Guide

Previous posts: Archive: Is EXP / Executive Platinum worth it? What are the benefits? (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

What are Executive Platinum / EP / EXP benefits? Are they worth it? (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2020, 9:17 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I’m burning a lot of miles this year and getting upgraded every time.....that’s the best thing that’s happened to EXP status in years.
metallo likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 5:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
RONINASPEN .....You are the first CK that I know that is chasing EXP :-)
Old Jan 20, 2020, 8:46 am

Programs: AA Plat, AS Gold 75k, Marriott Titanium, IHG Gold
Hey all,

Looking for some advice. I like to maximize the points I get for reward travel in business class, this is important to me as I'm the only one in my family that travels, earns points, CC, etc yet I have my parents and in-laws to consider. Wife doesn't travel for work. We're of Asian descent so all of our trips home (US to East Asia) are very long, especially with aging parents so I like to treat them when I can.

Typically in everyone's experience, how good is "C" class availability on AA? I believe that's the AA business class upgrade fare code for instant upgrade with SWA. I plan to do quite a bit of corporate travel this year. I can either get AA EXP or AS Gold 75k, but not both (lots of common partners, I do mostly international travel on partners). With AS, I get a lot more points per flight, typically 350% or more of the flight distance (J fares and Gold 75k 125% bonus). For AA, it seems I'll only get 11x per dollar on AA or around 250% of the flight distance (if partner airline, and factoring in 120% EXP bonus). What it comes down to is the AA SWA for me, I can get 4 SWA (probably hit 150k miles and get another 2), which to me is 2 round trip tickets for when one set of parents wants to return home. I'm trying to consider the odds of getting 2 SWAs to clear when I use them on guests with absolutely no status. With AS, I just get more points so I can just book the seats outright, but obviously I'm not getting 4-6 SWA equivalent.

So what's everyone's advice on which FF program to use when I'm trying to maximize the number of business class tickets I can potentially get? Note: I'm based out of PHX, an AA hub. Have very limited flights on AS (Only SEA, SFO, PDX)

Is there a better thread for this question?

Last edited by edkwan88; Jan 20, 2020 at 12:57 pm
Old Jan 20, 2020, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
Originally Posted by edkwan88
Hey all,

Looking for some advice. I like to maximize the points I get for reward travel in business class, this is important to me as I'm the only one in my family that travels, earns points, CC, etc yet I have my parents and in-laws to consider. Wife doesn't travel for work. We're of Asian descent so all of our trips home (US to East Asia) are very long, especially with aging parents so I like to treat them when I can.

Typically in everyone's experience, how good is "C" class availability on AA? I believe that's the AA business class upgrade fare code for instant upgrade with SWA. I plan to do quite a bit of corporate travel this year. I can either get AA EXP or AS Gold 75k, but not both (lots of common partners, I do mostly international travel on partners). With AS, I get a lot more points per flight, typically 350% or more of the flight distance (J fares and Gold 75k 125% bonus). For AA, it seems I'll only get 11x per dollar on AA or around 250% of the flight distance (if partner airline, and factoring in 120% EXP bonus). What it comes down to is the AA SWA for me, I can get 4 SWA (probably hit 150k miles and get another 2), which to me is 2 round trip tickets for when one set of parents wants to return home. I'm trying to consider the odds of getting 2 SWAs to clear when I use them on guests with absolutely no status. With AS, I just get more points so I can just book the seats outright, but obviously I'm not getting 4-6 SWA equivalent.

So what's everyone's advice on which FF program to use when I'm trying to maximize the number of business class tickets I can potentially get? Note: I'm based out of PHX, an AA hub. Have very limited flights on AS (Only SEA, SFO, PDX)

Is there a better thread for this question?

This is a tough one to answer . As a data point I attempted to use SWU on a round trip from DFW to Tokyo direct in March of 2019. For the outbound the flight was fairly full in business early on and no upgrade was given. On the return the flight looked fairly open in business up until about the last week and it started filling up. Again no upgrade. I am an entry level EXP so basically barely make the minimum EQD/EQM so I would be on the bottom of the SWU list for EXP. From what I have heard Asia is a bit more difficult for SWU in general. However, Premium Economy for longer flights is a great product so I buy seats in that cabin and cross my fingers.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
In my experience, early C availability is not great, especially if you want to travel only on certain dates. If you are retired and don't care when you will travel, then it gets better. If you are willing to book economy and take a chance on clearing a waitlisted C, it gets better.

I think that AS award availability to Asia is probably better than AA C availability to Asia.

I would probably peruse AS award threads on the carrier you want to book. I'm going to guess it will be JL and not CX but I could be wrong.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 2:40 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by edkwan88
Typically in everyone's experience, how good is "C" class availability on AA?
Since you have specific routes in mind, my suggestion is to subscribe to ExpertFlyer (you can even use a free trial if you want) and do an "Upgrade and Award Search" for C inventory on AA for each specific flight you are interested in. Set the "Connection Preferences" control to "Direct/Non-Stop Only" and click the "Exclude Codeshares" box. For the date, start with a date four days later than the current date, and set the control to "+/- 3 days" which searches one week (the date you enter, the three days before it, and the three days after it). You can also set the return date the same way (or leave it blank to search one way at a time). After seeing the search results, click "Refine Search" and change the date to be exactly one week later (easy to do by clicking the calendar icon). Repeat this for the full bookable window of 331 days. Then, repeat the entire process with a different flight. It can take a bit of time, but it's the best way to see what C availability is like for flights you are interested in. Of course, AA can remove or add C inventory at any time, so doing this is just a snapshot of the current availability, but it should give you an idea if space is likely to be there when you need it.

You indicated that your alternative would be to credit your flying to AS and use its miles to book award flights in business class. You can use Expert Flyer to search for award inventory in business class on some AS partners (you can, e.g., search for award inventory on AA but not on JL).
fotographer likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Platinum, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by stephem

Never on AA, but on both JL and CX I have been moved from J to F on award tickets for no other reason than there were seats empty in F and i was an EXP. CX moved my travel companionto F too!
​​​​​​​I've also (four times) been upgraded on CX from paid PE to J because of my OWE status. It definitely left a positive impression, and there are others on FT who report similar experience. And CX is so, so, so much better than AA international J
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Jay in STAUG
I've also (four times) been upgraded on CX from paid PE to J because of my OWE status. It definitely left a positive impression, and there are others on FT who report similar experience. And CX is so, so, so much better than AA international J
Are you sure this wasn't a situation where CX needed to do a cabin roll (operational upgrade) because coach or PE was oversold?
Old Sep 20, 2020, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Platinum, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by anabolism
Are you sure this wasn't a situation where CX needed to do a cabin roll (operational upgrade) because coach or PE was oversold?
Quite sure not an op-up--they were December flights, and it was a ghost town in economy (and there were empty seats left in PE, too). This isn't an actual benefit for OWE, but it seems like this happens fairly frequently, if the discussion boards are to be believed!
Old Sep 20, 2020, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Jay in STAUG
Quite sure not an op-up--they were December flights, and it was a ghost town in economy (and there were empty seats left in PE, too). This isn't an actual benefit for OWE, but it seems like this happens fairly frequently, if the discussion boards are to be believed!
It's not an explicit benefit for OWEs, but status does play a part when they choose to do upgrades.

I've been op-up'd on CX & QF (both Y to PE, & PE to J), but both have been oversell situations.

And an empty PE seat could be a non-operational seat that they couldn't sell. I've encountered this on CX flights. It's nice sitting next to one.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 7:12 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
I've gotten an op-up on CX from W to J as an AA Plat (OWS).

The folks on the CX forum have the believed op-up priority order over on their forum, but it is definitely not a benefit you should expect to receive, just enjoy when it happens.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 9:51 am

Programs: DL DM 2mm, AA EXP mm, UA SL, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold
CX has upgraded me for operational reasons several times. Once the cabin crew upgraded me after takeoff from PE to J because I had a close connection and they wanted to make sure I got off the plane quickly at HKG.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 1:27 pm
Original Member

Programs: 1k UA, UA MM, AA EXPlat
Worth The EQD run?

I am about $600 shy of requalifying for EXP this year. I am trying to figure the benefits of making a run before year is out. With extensions, I am EXP next year already. If I understand things, I would qualify for SWAs nothing else? Any thoughts?
Old Dec 26, 2020, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by jpsj
I am about $600 shy of requalifying for EXP this year. I am trying to figure the benefits of making a run before year is out. With extensions, I am EXP next year already. If I understand things, I would qualify for SWAs nothing else? Any thoughts?
There was a similar thread a couple weeks ago, except the threshold was $2100. I thought that sounded like a good idea. To me $600 for 4 SWUs is a no-brainer.
Zacnlinc and apeortdz like this.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 2:52 pm

I personally answered that question (it is worth it to requalify) as "yes" when my threshold was $800 or so.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.