Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Airport Upgrade and Standby Priority List (“PALL”) Order (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 21, 2013, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VFR
Airport Upgrade and Standby Order, Priority “PALL” List
Questions, Upgrade Anomalies, Issues, etc.
NOTE: Complimentary upgrades are now ordered based on (1) Status, (2) 12 month rolling Loyalty Points, (3) Time and date of upgrade request.

NOTE: As of 1 Jan 2017, your travel companion will "borrow" your PALL listing. Link.

Main PALL list codes. Passengers are ordered by code, then elite status, then other factors. Additional codes may be entered to designate other information, such as companions traveling together.
  • OS# = Confirmed Economy passenger awaiting seat assignment.
  • RF = Confirmed First Class passenger awaiting seat assignment.
  • DSR# = Standby First Class passenger, confirmed in Economy. Usually used for involuntary downgrades of paid First passengers.
  • VIP# = Passenger awaiting a SWU upgrade.
  • MLG# = Passenger awaiting a mileage and copay upgrade. This may be the same priority as VIP, i.e. VIP1 = MLG1, VIP2 = MLG2, etc.
  • UPG# = Confirmed Economy passenger awaiting a complimentary, or elite sticker upgrade. Within a status group, passengers are ordered by 12 month rolling loyalty points followed by time and date of upgrade request.
  • RI# = Revenue involuntary standby passenger (bumped from another flight due to oversold condition or travel disruptions). Within a status group, passengers are ordered by check-in time.
  • RV# = Revenue voluntary standby passenger. Within a status group, passengers are ordered by check-in time.
  • RV = Non-status revenue passengers on voluntary standby, and certain staff travel.
  • D% = Non-revenue standby passenger (AA employees, family, and friends), where % is an additional number code pertaining to the type of pass and not related to elite status. See the Staff Travel / Buddy Pass Thread.
  • VOL = Volunteer for bump to a later flight. Passengers are ordered by time of volunteering (first come-first served).
  • DG = Passenger with involuntary (or voluntary) downgrade in class-of-service.
  • RL = "Flat Tire Rule" passenger missing a flight through no fault of their own or AA (L=Late, in this case). Note that in some circumstances, AA may offer a confirmed seat on a later flight instead.
  • -T = Through passenger - Addition of this suffix gives priority over other passengers in the same status group, overriding normal time-based ranking. This suffix is supposed to be used for passengers connecting from another flight.
Status indicator numbers UPG/VIP (#) = 1 = Concierge Key; 2 = Executive Platinum; 3 = Platinum Pro; 4 = Platinum, 5 = Gold; no number = no status (e.g. UPG2/VIP2 for EP).

C/o sensei:

The following UPG priority levels are now in effect:
  • UPG1/VIP1 Concierge Key
  • UPG2/VIP2 Executive Platinum
  • UPG3/VIP3 Platinum Pro
  • UPG4/VIP4 Platinum
  • UPG5/VIP5 Gold
  • UPG/VIP No status
UPGC is used for operational upgrades

Revenue Standbys are cleared in the following order:
  • RIT (involuntary, transit)
  • RI (involuntary)
  • RV (voluntary)
  • RL (late)
*Numbers corresponding to elite status will determine the order of the passengers within each category.

All revenue standbys are cleared before any non-revenue standbys

Older posts have been archived to this thread.
Print Wikipost

Airport Upgrade and Standby Priority List (“PALL”) Order (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2020, 5:26 am

Would I be RV2T?

I am flying on a D fare PVR-DFW-DCA.

My PVR-DFW flight is 7:28AM-10:05AM
My DFW-DCA flight is 2:10PM-5:55PM

The DFW-DCA I would like 12:39PM-4:29PM. It is sold out in first/business in all cabins.

When I arrive a the airport, I would like to go stand by on the earlier connection and never had an issue with the gate agent or Admirals Club agent putting me on the list. The issue is getting the right PALL code.

What I don't want is to be told I have to be confirmed in coach and then try and upgrade as I know that is not correct. The correct procedure I've been told before when purchasing business is that you are revenue business and go ahead of economy customers on the desired flight just trying to upgrade. Though it has been a year or so I'm guessing that it still the case.

In this case is RV2T correct as I am Executive Platinum connecting in DFW (thus the T)?

Would the PVR agent be able to do this or am I best to wait until DFW to do this? Even if PVR could, would DFW have more knowledge of this kind of thing? I'm not even sure if PVR staff are true AA or contracted.

Thanks!
Old Feb 24, 2020, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter
Is the standby list at the airport monitor different then what’s on the app? Showing #1 on the app but #7 on the airport screen. I’ve closed out the app refreshed and still showing the mismatch.

Maybe they are putting unassigned seats on the standby list now?
Also saw this on JFK-LAX today. I was #3 on the app and #5 on the airport display. #1 and #3 on the airport display cleared (and that #3 on the display clearing was shown on the app as #1, no sign of the display #1 in the app), suggesting that the J to F and Y to J lists are showed separately in the app but together on the display; thus one person must have cleared J to F and then one Y to J.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by lizthegrey
Also saw this on JFK-LAX today. I was #3 on the app and #5 on the airport display. #1 and #3 on the airport display cleared (and that #3 on the display clearing was shown on the app as #1 , no sign of the display #1 in the app), suggesting that the J to F and Y to J lists are showed separately in the app but together on the display; thus one person must have cleared J to F and then one Y to J.
Mine was the standby list and actually happened two weeks in a row on the same route. 5 people were listed on the airport monitor who were not on the app. All 5 cleared and number #6 and #7 (1 & 2 on the mobile app). I was #8 on the airport monitor which is odd seeing that I'm EXP (usually 1-3 on standby lists unless irrops). Of course no one from AA can explain.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
This definitely looks like a three class issue. I believe some non-rev on standby can clear into F or J directly or it could be someone who was on a different flight in confirmed F or J who are trying to change flights. The app seems able to only show the list for those who are actually on the same list and not merge them together like the monitor.
lizthegrey likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 2:59 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by chuck1
Would I be RV2T?

I am flying on a D fare PVR-DFW-DCA.

My PVR-DFW flight is 7:28AM-10:05AM
My DFW-DCA flight is 2:10PM-5:55PM

The DFW-DCA I would like 12:39PM-4:29PM. It is sold out in first/business in all cabins.

When I arrive a the airport, I would like to go stand by on the earlier connection and never had an issue with the gate agent or Admirals Club agent putting me on the list. The issue is getting the right PALL code.

What I don't want is to be told I have to be confirmed in coach and then try and upgrade as I know that is not correct. The correct procedure I've been told before when purchasing business is that you are revenue business and go ahead of economy customers on the desired flight just trying to upgrade. Though it has been a year or so I'm guessing that it still the case.

In this case is RV2T correct as I am Executive Platinum connecting in DFW (thus the T)?

Would the PVR agent be able to do this or am I best to wait until DFW to do this? Even if PVR could, would DFW have more knowledge of this kind of thing? I'm not even sure if PVR staff are true AA or contracted.
RV2T sounds right to me. Not sure about PVR vs DFW request, but consider that cancellations may occur and, hence, upgrades may clear while you are on the PVR-DFW flight. But, best guess, I think they probably will not clear upgrades til the gate for DFW-DCA, so you may be ok waiting.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
You don’t want RV2T. That puts you behind any RI in Y and likely also behind upgrades.

You probably want RF. Or you get confirmed in Y and get seat priority over upgrades as DSR (even though you said you don’t want that).

Originally Posted by dstan
RV2T sounds right to me. Not sure about PVR vs DFW request, but consider that cancellations may occur and, hence, upgrades may clear while you are on the PVR-DFW flight. But, best guess, I think they probably will not clear upgrades til the gate for DFW-DCA, so you may be ok waiting.
JonNYC likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 7:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
What is UPGA2?

Been noticing that, haven’t seen the “A” previously.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 9:49 am

How do you most productively approach Customer Relations if you think the waitlist has been managed incorrectly? Is there any way to get proof? Is it even worth it?

———

I had a paid full fare J ticket with two segments. I got hit with IRROPs due to lack of crew, and the first segment was downgraded to economy, waitlisted for J. My understanding is this should have left me at DG status above all VIP/UPG waitlist members. At the gate, I checked with the agent to make sure that I had the right priority on the waitlist. He did not seem to understand what I was asking, and just indicated that I had to wait for an “upgrade”. This did not sound right, but boarding was soon, so I didn’t push further.

Sure enough, two seats in J opened up, but I did not receive either because I was too low on the waitlist.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by RememberTheConcord
How do you most productively approach Customer Relations if you think the waitlist has been managed incorrectly? Is there any way to get proof? Is it even worth it?

———

I had a paid full fare J ticket with two segments. I got hit with IRROPs due to lack of crew, and the first segment was downgraded to economy, waitlisted for J. My understanding is this should have left me at DG status above all VIP/UPG waitlist members. At the gate, I checked with the agent to make sure that I had the right priority on the waitlist. He did not seem to understand what I was asking, and just indicated that I had to wait for an “upgrade”. This did not sound right, but boarding was soon, so I didn’t push further.

Sure enough, two seats in J opened up, but I did not receive either because I was too low on the waitlist.
Use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the AA web site and select "Customer Relations." Provide the details, including PNR (ticket number if you have it), flight and gate. Explain that the gate agent didn't seem to understand the difference between an upgrade and a revenue ticket that was downgraded due to irrops.

I hope you don't find yourself in a similar situation again, but if you do, explain to the gate agent that you're on a revenue J ticket and want to be restored to first, not an upgrade. (I think the code for that is "RF" as in "Revenue First [Class]" but I could be wrong.)
Old Feb 15, 2022, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism
Use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the AA web site and select "Customer Relations." Provide the details, including PNR (ticket number if you have it), flight and gate. Explain that the gate agent didn't seem to understand the difference between an upgrade and a revenue ticket that was downgraded due to irrops.

I hope you don't find yourself in a similar situation again, but if you do, explain to the gate agent that you're on a revenue J ticket and want to be restored to first, not an upgrade. (I think the code for that is "RF" as in "Revenue First [Class]" but I could be wrong.)
This is roughly what I ended up doing. I actually checked with another agent at my connecting airport to ensure that I was indeed mis-classified on the waitlist, and then I submitted a complaint to Customer Relations. They got back to me with an apology and some compensation.

Re: the gate agent. That’s exactly what I told him, and he just did not understand it. It was a really frustrating experience.
_kurt and FlyingEgghead like this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by RememberTheConcord
This is roughly what I ended up doing. I actually checked with another agent at my connecting airport to ensure that I was indeed mis-classified on the waitlist, and then I submitted a complaint to Customer Relations. They got back to me with an apology and some compensation.

Re: the gate agent. That’s exactly what I told him, and he just did not understand it. It was a really frustrating experience.
Glad you got an apology and some compensation. Hopefully the gate agent will get some refresher training.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 11:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
Rolling 12 month LP count? Or YTD?

I have a theory that AA is assessing upgrade priority based on LPs earned since January 1st rather than a rolling 12 month window as they claim.

I am (LT) Gold and rarely get upgrades. I didn't do much flying last year and my EQD total was very, very low. I have, however, been racking up a decent amount of LPs on the shopping portal this month and just crossed 30k so far in 2022.

I flew DCA-BOS and then BOS-DCA in the past week. To my astonishment, my upgrade on the outbound cleared at the 24 hour mark. Ok, I'm thinking, probably just got lucky.

On the return, I arrive at the airport and open the app to see I was #1 on the upgrade list out of 9 people. There is simply no way my spend over the past 12 months is higher than 8 other Golds or non-elites on full fare (if that's still a thing).

I'm guessing AA never bothered to merge 2021 EQD activity with LPs earned so far in 2022 so they are just basically upgrade priority on 1) status 2) LPs in 2022 YTD.

​​​​​​​
ceebee100 likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 10:36 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
30k is enough to re-qual for gold, I believe you would be top of the pack even if you count EQDs. I'm not sure exactly what multiplier they are giving EQDs to match LPs, but if its about 5x as the base earning rate might suggest that would be equivalent to $6k spend which is a lot for a gold.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 8:12 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
I had less than $1k in EQD in 2021. 30k LPs so far in 2022. I really doubt I would be the top of the list among a large number of golds if they were counting 12 months of activity.

We all saw how long/difficult the process was to convert Jan/Feb 2022 activity to LPs. I am willing to bet they just never bothered with a multiplier for 2021 EQD. Much easier to just count LPs YTD and assume nobody will notice/care.

Maybe I should just put on my tin foil hat...

Originally Posted by MathMusic
30k is enough to re-qual for gold, I believe you would be top of the pack even if you count EQDs. I'm not sure exactly what multiplier they are giving EQDs to match LPs, but if its about 5x as the base earning rate might suggest that would be equivalent to $6k spend which is a lot for a gold.
BERGBRLY and ryanbriar like this.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 8:47 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
As a long time gold, this year I got bumped to Plat because the qualifying window was effectively 17 months last year with all the promos (4Q 2020 counted as a double dip + 2021 + Jan & Feb of this year). I'm sitting mid-table of Plats this year, I don't know if I will keep it without excessive LP shenanigans like Rocketmiles hotels or whatnot. Think I ended up at 5K EQDs last year because I had heavy travel this year so far, but I only have 20k LPs ytd.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.