Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Airport Upgrade and Standby Priority List (“PALL”) Order (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 21, 2013, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VFR
Airport Upgrade and Standby Order, Priority “PALL” List
Questions, Upgrade Anomalies, Issues, etc.
NOTE: Complimentary upgrades are now ordered based on (1) Status, (2) 12 month rolling Loyalty Points, (3) Time and date of upgrade request.

NOTE: As of 1 Jan 2017, your travel companion will "borrow" your PALL listing. Link.

Main PALL list codes. Passengers are ordered by code, then elite status, then other factors. Additional codes may be entered to designate other information, such as companions traveling together.
  • OS# = Confirmed Economy passenger awaiting seat assignment.
  • RF = Confirmed First Class passenger awaiting seat assignment.
  • DSR# = Standby First Class passenger, confirmed in Economy. Usually used for involuntary downgrades of paid First passengers.
  • VIP# = Passenger awaiting a SWU upgrade.
  • MLG# = Passenger awaiting a mileage and copay upgrade. This may be the same priority as VIP, i.e. VIP1 = MLG1, VIP2 = MLG2, etc.
  • UPG# = Confirmed Economy passenger awaiting a complimentary, or elite sticker upgrade. Within a status group, passengers are ordered by 12 month rolling loyalty points followed by time and date of upgrade request.
  • RI# = Revenue involuntary standby passenger (bumped from another flight due to oversold condition or travel disruptions). Within a status group, passengers are ordered by check-in time.
  • RV# = Revenue voluntary standby passenger. Within a status group, passengers are ordered by check-in time.
  • RV = Non-status revenue passengers on voluntary standby, and certain staff travel.
  • D% = Non-revenue standby passenger (AA employees, family, and friends), where % is an additional number code pertaining to the type of pass and not related to elite status. See the Staff Travel / Buddy Pass Thread.
  • VOL = Volunteer for bump to a later flight. Passengers are ordered by time of volunteering (first come-first served).
  • DG = Passenger with involuntary (or voluntary) downgrade in class-of-service.
  • RL = "Flat Tire Rule" passenger missing a flight through no fault of their own or AA (L=Late, in this case). Note that in some circumstances, AA may offer a confirmed seat on a later flight instead.
  • -T = Through passenger - Addition of this suffix gives priority over other passengers in the same status group, overriding normal time-based ranking. This suffix is supposed to be used for passengers connecting from another flight.
Status indicator numbers UPG/VIP (#) = 1 = Concierge Key; 2 = Executive Platinum; 3 = Platinum Pro; 4 = Platinum, 5 = Gold; no number = no status (e.g. UPG2/VIP2 for EP).

C/o sensei:

The following UPG priority levels are now in effect:
  • UPG1/VIP1 Concierge Key
  • UPG2/VIP2 Executive Platinum
  • UPG3/VIP3 Platinum Pro
  • UPG4/VIP4 Platinum
  • UPG5/VIP5 Gold
  • UPG/VIP No status
UPGC is used for operational upgrades

Revenue Standbys are cleared in the following order:
  • RIT (involuntary, transit)
  • RI (involuntary)
  • RV (voluntary)
  • RL (late)
*Numbers corresponding to elite status will determine the order of the passengers within each category.

All revenue standbys are cleared before any non-revenue standbys

Older posts have been archived to this thread.
Print Wikipost

Airport Upgrade and Standby Priority List (“PALL”) Order (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2023, 4:20 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
For the issue with having lower status passengers not inherit the higher status passenger's status, it's a real thorn in my side since at least half the agents don't know how to fix it (and can end up screwing up seat assignments in the process).

For those that don't include the lower status passenger's Aadvantage number when making the reservation, does that mean after every trip that you then need to call in to AA to get the miles/LPs retroactively credited? Is there an easy way to do this without calling that works 100% of the time?
Old Jan 17, 2023, 5:26 pm
formerly DreAAmliner

Programs: AA EXP
UG/PALL List Question

My business partner was traveling this past weekend. Its a bit of a convoluted story, but the moral is they have a screenshot of them as #1 on the UG list with 1 seat available.
They did not get upgraded and was told by the GA there was "someone else on the list visible" to the GA and that person got the UG. The available seats then went to 0, but no names were checked off (unfortunately no screenshot of this).

Is this possible? is there such a thing as a VIP CK that can have their name visibly withheld from the UG list, but still be on it?
Old Jan 17, 2023, 5:43 pm

Have no idea where you were flying to/from or when, without that context it's hard to say.

However, it is possible for a paid first class passenger who has missed their flight to be listed on other flights as a "DSR" passenger. They will be accommodated in first/business ahead of upgrades and may not appear on the upgrade list as they are not seeking an upgrade, but seeking to be accommodated in the class paid for.

Or could be gate agent shenanigans, won't know without more details.
tfjim and onanisland like this.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Some folks here have visibility into past waitlist details, if you post the flight and date you might be able to get some more help.
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 6:21 pm
formerly DreAAmliner

Originally Posted by MIAFlyer
Have no idea where you were flying to/from or when, without that context it's hard to say.

However, it is possible for a paid first class passenger who has missed their flight to be listed on other flights as a "DSR" passenger. They will be accommodated in first/business ahead of upgrades and may not appear on the upgrade list as they are not seeking an upgrade, but seeking to be accommodated in the class paid for.

Or could be gate agent shenanigans, won't know without more details.
Thanks! This certainly sounds like what it may have been.

AA2373 yesterday (1/16)
Old Jan 17, 2023, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA
If available seats went to 0, then most likely a revenue passenger was rebooked.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 11:45 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Sounds like what used to be called the FFCC list, paid F/J always trumps upgrades, thankfully.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 3:04 pm
formerly DreAAmliner

Reviving this for another question regarding DOMESTIC upgrades.

Is it theoretically possible for the following to occur:
Request to be placed on the miles/copay upgrade list at the time of booking (outside the t-100 window).
Then, at t-12, see yourself on the PALL list at the top but sometime after that see an elite get a comp upgrade while skipping your miles/copay.

As i understand it, miles/copay comes from award "C", and comp comes from invisible "R". Can AA clear "R" inventory before first checking to see if anyone is on the waitlist for "C"?
Old Jan 26, 2023, 3:25 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by DreAAmliner

Request to be placed on the miles/copay upgrade list at the time of booking (outside the t-100 window).
Then, at t-12, see yourself on the PALL list at the top but sometime after that see an elite get a comp upgrade while skipping your miles/copay.

As i understand it, miles/copay comes from award "C", and comp comes from invisible "R". Can AA clear "R" inventory before first checking to see if anyone is on the waitlist for "C"?
I *think* the automated system for comp upgrades continues to run until T-4 hours, so this could happen if what I said is true even though you're at the top of the list for a miles/copay upgrade at the gate.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum

Yes, this happens. C is often held at zero even after early R cycles (EXP) happen. Further, the gate list isn't the primary list until the flight opens. Before that, anyone can jump the queue into an open C seat. I've done it myself over people waitlisted for e500 sticker upgrades (the mentioned R inventory). Furthermore, the automated sweeps into C are periodic. Any compliant agent can put someone into open C inventory regardless of their location on any waitlist, often before or between computer "sweeps."

When inventory is J2 C0 and after some early cycles of R upgrades have completed, AA often releases one seat into C (so J2 C1), in which case it's first come first served. But you have to burn an upgrade valid for C of course to snag that seat.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 6:45 pm
formerly DreAAmliner

Originally Posted by fastflyer
Yes, this happens. C is often held at zero even after early R cycles (EXP) happen. Further, the gate list isn't the primary list until the flight opens. Before that, anyone can jump the queue into an open C seat. I've done it myself over people waitlisted for e500 sticker upgrades (the mentioned R inventory). Furthermore, the automated sweeps into C are periodic. Any compliant agent can put someone into open C inventory regardless of their location on any waitlist, often before or between computer "sweeps."

When inventory is J2 C0 and after some early cycles of R upgrades have completed, AA often releases one seat into C (so J2 C1), in which case it's first come first served. But you have to burn an upgrade valid for C of course to snag that seat.
fascinating and thank you. Can one be waitlisted for instrument upgrade AND be on the comp upgrade list and take whichever clears first?
Old Jan 27, 2023, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Originally Posted by fastflyer
fascinating and thank you. Can one be waitlisted for instrument upgrade AND be on the comp upgrade list and take whichever clears first?
I think so, based on an experience we had this past December. Two reservations:

1) me (GLD) with daughter (no status) waitlisted with SWUs
2) wife (PPRO) with son (no status) waitlisted with SWUs

At T-72 or so, wife and son clear into J (this was 3 class SFO-JFK flight). Email specifically stated it was 'complimentary' upgrade, so not SWU-based. At T-48 or so, my daughter and I clear into J, using the SWUs.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 8:32 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Well, this happened to me last week:

JFK-LAX, waitlisted with Business Extra BXP1. Was #1 on the upgrade list, with 1 space available.

2 hours prior to the flight, I noticed on the app that I am no longer checked in and no longer have a seat assignment. Went through the check-in process again on the app, and I am now in a J seat; I am no longer on the upgrade waitlist, and space available is now 0. The paper BP confirms that I am in C bucket.

Yes for sure. I had another flight where it was waitlisted with BXP1 (the same one mentioned above). Upgrade was cleared into R, and BXP1 was untouched.

As a bonus, I was Op-up'd into F an hour prior to the flight.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
It's not possible to upgrade one of you and not the other without splitting the PNR. That's true on every airline.
So, the only way to give a business traveling companion your luggage and MCE benefits, but also try to get a single upgrade seat if one is available is to do the following? Be on the same PNR or connected PNRs up until the time of check in. One bags have been checked, if both people have NOT already been upgraded, then ask AA to split the PNR (or disconnect linked PNRs). Then the elite member might still get upgraded is there is one seat left, and the companion will get free bags and MCE. Would this be the only way to extend benefits to companion but also try to get an upgrade if only one seat is available?

Does the process work any differently if we are talking linked PNRs or a single PNR?

I read above that many airport personnel at non-lounge airports do not know how to link separate PNRs? Do they also have trouble linking PNRs? Has anyone had success doing either of these things in short order by using the chat function on the app?

So, in reference to the process above of trying to get the only first class seat available when you and companion are 1-2 on the upgrade list and there is only one seat.......do you think the following would work? If you are in the gate area and you see one seat available, if you went to the gate agent and said, "Hey, we are 1-2 on the list, but if only 1 seat is available, we still want it." I wonder if the gate agent would manually make this happen, or could go ahead and do the splitting/disconnecting on the spot so it did happen.

Lastly, to solve this, all AA would have to do is create a check box that you want the last first class seat available even if there is one seat and two travelers.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by EQDsSUCK
So, the only way to give a business traveling companion your luggage and MCE benefits, but also try to get a single upgrade seat if one is available is to do the following? Be on the same PNR or connected PNRs up until the time of check in. One bags have been checked, if both people have NOT already been upgraded, then ask AA to split the PNR (or disconnect linked PNRs). Then the elite member might still get upgraded is there is one seat left, and the companion will get free bags and MCE. Would this be the only way to extend benefits to companion but also try to get an upgrade if only one seat is available?

Does the process work any differently if we are talking linked PNRs or a single PNR?

I read above that many airport personnel at non-lounge airports do not know how to link separate PNRs? Do they also have trouble linking PNRs? Has anyone had success doing either of these things in short order by using the chat function on the app?

So, in reference to the process above of trying to get the only first class seat available when you and companion are 1-2 on the upgrade list and there is only one seat.......do you think the following would work? If you are in the gate area and you see one seat available, if you went to the gate agent and said, "Hey, we are 1-2 on the list, but if only 1 seat is available, we still want it." I wonder if the gate agent would manually make this happen, or could go ahead and do the splitting/disconnecting on the spot so it did happen.
Companions on separate PNR's do not receive the elite baggage benefit, doesn't matter if the PNR's are "linked" or not. If you want to make sure your companions have the elite baggage benefit then they 100% need to be on the same PNR, no other way around it.

If you're on one PNR, then yes, it's never a problem to go to the GA and say that you're ok splitting up if only 1 upgrade is available. In these situations a good GA will often page you up and ask if you want to be split or not, had that happen several times.

If you're on separate PNR's, then whenever you call AA to get your companion seated next to you and on the upgrade list, just tell them then whether you're ok being split or not if there's only 1 upgrade available. Similar to above most good agents will ask when you make the request.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.