Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Just made EXP / Executive Platinum! Resources, ask questions, brag (pre-2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 29, 2012, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: akcae
Just made EXP / Executive Platinum! Resources, ask questions, brag (master thread)

First, a hearty welcome to Executive Platinum status!

New Executive Platinum members, whether "self-made", via your Concierge Key nomination or made by AA offers, including challenges, to similar status holders from competing airlines, often have questions about how the program works.

Feel free to post your questions here, but also be aware many of your questions about American Airlines, AAdvantage and Executive Platinum status can be answered in these resources:
Link to What are Executive Platinum / EP / EXP benefits? Are they worth it? (consolidated) thread on FT

Link to AAdvantage Elite Status guide and charts on aa.com

Link to "FAQ: American Airlines and AAdvantage - Please check here first!" thread.

Link to the FlyerGuide American Airlines Wiki
For older posts, please see ARCHIVE: Just made EXP / Executive Platinum! Resources, ask etc. brag (master thread)

Print Wikipost

Just made EXP / Executive Platinum! Resources, ask questions, brag (pre-2017)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2014, 11:45 am

I was 1K on United, and my upgrade request was automatic.

Now as EXP, it looks like I have to go onto the web site and manually request the upgrade.

Am I missing something?

TIA.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by maxmnx
I was 1K on United, and my upgrade request was automatic.

Now as EXP, it looks like I have to go onto the web site and manually request the upgrade.

Am I missing something?

TIA.
You're not missing anything. If you want to request a complimentary upgrade, you will have to click the check box when making the res...

Despite having to manually request the u/g, you should enjoy much higher chances of sitting in F/J. I've been 100% since 2011 on AA, while I maybe hit 50% on UA...
Old Feb 14, 2014, 12:32 pm

Thanks FriendlySkies! I booked one last flight on UA, and looks like I won't get the upgrade.

Flying out of SFO, it's hard to get an upgrade on UA. Curious to see how I make out on AA.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
I flew a lot of JFK-SFO-LAX where even as a Gold, I was upgraded nearly 65% of the time as many more EXP's fly to LA then SFO. You'll be fine.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 3:37 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by maxmnx
Flying out of SFO, it's hard to get an upgrade on UA. Curious to see how I make out on AA.
I've cleared 19 of 20 upgrade requests since January 1 (95%). Actually doing better than the last two years where I was at 91% and 90% for the entire year. Keep in mind your odds increase the farther out you can book.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 9:06 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I know its early, but how are members here doing this year so far in terms of miles,
So far I am at 62,501 so far this year and its only Feb... got another long haul in March,
hoping to clear 100k by June.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by fotographer
I know its early, but how are members here doing this year so far in terms of miles,
So far I am at 62,501 so far this year and its only Feb... got another long haul in March,
hoping to clear 100k by June.
Only a small chance of requalifying here.

0 flown, one longhaul at around 21,500 booked for March.

Should be back to PLT easily with just other commitments for later in the year, but even with that and 10k EQM from the Executive card, would involve quite a bit of mileage running to get requalify. Not ruling it out, though!
Old Mar 4, 2014, 9:55 am

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Weather-Related Accommodation?

Does AA offer EXPs a free hotel stay in the event of misconnects requiring an overnight stay due to weather or airport flow control restrictions?

UA historically offered that to 1Ks at the discretion of CS/gate staff at the arriving airport - maybe less so now.

If AA does (sometimes) offer this benefit, is it handled by airport staff or the EXP line?

Thanks......
Old Mar 4, 2014, 11:40 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Explore
Does AA offer EXPs a free hotel stay in the event of misconnects requiring an overnight stay due to weather or airport flow control restrictions?

UA historically offered that to 1Ks at the discretion of CS/gate staff at the arriving airport - maybe less so now.

If AA does (sometimes) offer this benefit, is it handled by airport staff or the EXP line?

Thanks......
It's entirely discretionary, and I suspect may have some relation to helix / Eagles. The AC or EP line when one is arranging new flights might be the best time to explore the issue.

If it's not forthcoming, ask for a distressed traveler chit, or call your predilect hotel or chain and request a distressed traveler rate. (The latter at least gets me a reduced rate at a property I want to stay rather than the Roachmada they might want to send me to.)
Old Mar 4, 2014, 7:21 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP
Originally Posted by JDiver
... distressed traveler rate....
Interesting ... didn't think of that ... OT but wonder if it would apply status night/stay in that case.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Explore

Thanks......
Oh that's right you guys expected (and received) that for many years from United. I fail to see how the airline can control the weather and why they should cover hotel rooms for elites during IRROPs. Help me understand.
Old May 20, 2014, 5:41 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Just made EXP (105,000 miles) yesterday with a return flight LHR to ATL.
All my flights this year have been international.. happy to say that all the AA flights, my SWU have cleared.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Marriott Platinum
Smile 17 SWU's - Really

Stuck with the unusual situation of having 17 SWU's in my account - as a result of requalifying for EXP and hitting the next million

This will probably never happen again.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/29597260@N03

Last edited by lutzboy; Jun 4, 2014 at 4:01 pm Reason: trying to embed image properly.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 1 MM/ LTG, CX GO, US CP, SPG Platinum Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by lutzboy
Stuck with the unusual situation of having 17 SWU's in my account - as a result of requalifying for EXP and hitting the next million

This will probably never happen again.
Ha, I hear ya. I was sitting on 25 SWUs in January.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 11:07 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT, 2MM
lutzboy, GullwingSL,
I too will end the year with some SWU left, as I have been purchasing J and F this year. Given that, any chance they will extend the expiration date?
If not how do you plan on using the 17/25?
Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.