Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what is going on with DFW

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2024, 6:05 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Sounds to me like classic O/D pricing. If this is new then I'm surprised AA is that late into the game.

To confirm simply checking the fare code vailability on EF. If the fare is available on individual segments, but not the connecting segment, then that is an indication O/D pricing is alive and well on that route.
Old May 2, 2024, 6:16 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
The AA engines really seem to love pushing as much Florida/Southeast traffic as possible (to any destination) through CLT, which is unfortunate for those of us who want to avoid CLT.
Spiff, Hot Pocket, ysolde and 1 others like this.
Old May 2, 2024, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Same here. AA wants me to go through CLT, JFK or PHL instead of Dallas.
Old May 2, 2024, 10:39 am

Programs: AA EXP; SQ Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
Same here. AA wants me to go through CLT, JFK or PHL instead of Dallas.
Fly F thru JFK and hit up the Chelsea lounge.
Old May 2, 2024, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by ty97
which is unfortunate for those of us who want to avoid CLT.
Isn't that everyone!
Old May 2, 2024, 11:59 am

Similar to Stripe's suggestion to use ITA Matrix...you could use Google Flights and limit your search to connections through DFW. Then click through to the AA website from there.
Old May 2, 2024, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
ITA matrix didnt want to work for me. it kept hanging on the search results.
how do you limit a particular connection in google flights, i didnt notice an option for that. never mind - found it!

in other news, this isnt just a DFW thing. The AA website is friggin broken.
I was looking for a TPA - SCE flight in the next few days. on monday i can fly TPA to MDT as an example, OR MCO or SRQ to SCE. Mind you both of those airports are and extra 50-75 mile drive for me, each way.

BUT

I can find TPA to PHL and then PHL to SCE flights that would get me to where I want to go, but the search wont offer those flight pairs to me.

when did the system start forcing nearby airports into the search? I thought it was always an option to do so, not a requirement... edit: ok i see where it's an option now. that must be new. but that doesnt explain why the system is offering to add 200 miles of extra driving onto my trip instead of giving me the one result i actually asked for...

Last edited by stant; May 2, 2024 at 1:09 pm
Old May 2, 2024, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stant
ITA matrix didnt want to work for me. it kept hanging on the search results.
how do you limit a particular connection in google flights, i didnt notice an option for that. never mind - found it!

in other news, this isnt just a DFW thing. The AA website is friggin broken.
I was looking for a TPA - SCE flight in the next few days. on monday i can fly TPA to MDT as an example, OR MCO or SRQ to SCE. Mind you both of those airports are and extra 50-75 mile drive for me, each way.

BUT

I can find TPA to PHL and then PHL to SCE flights that would get me to where I want to go, but the search wont offer those flight pairs to me.

when did the system start forcing nearby airports into the search? I thought it was always an option to do so, not a requirement... edit: ok i see where it's an option now. that must be new. but that doesnt explain why the system is offering to add 200 miles of extra driving onto my trip instead of giving me the one result i actually asked for...

If you are checking for tomorrow, all PHL-SCE flights are completely zeroed out --

I'm seeing availability for Saturday and beyond via PHL

Old May 2, 2024, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
I've found AA doesn't want to show me fares from the Northeast through DFW-LHR, but they did sell me a paid F award (for 62.5K!) on JFK-DFW-LHR.
Spiff likes this.
Old May 2, 2024, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by xliioper
If you are checking for tomorrow, all PHL-SCE flights are completely zeroed out --

I'm seeing availability for Saturday and beyond via PHL
I managed to get a flight that works for me next week. the problem is that the website is defaulting to the 'show other nearby airports' option and i didnt notice that till now. so the search was returning a bunch of flights that werent really applicable.
Old May 2, 2024, 3:11 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA EXP, Hyatt Top Tier (definitely NOT a Globalist), National Exec Elite
Would love to but JFK shows up in zero of my searches originating in FL. I go to UK/Europe a lot and don't think I have ever seen JFK as an option, even crazy 2 stop itineraries. CLT with the occasional PHL for a perception of options

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.