Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flights with no service at all in (domestic) First

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flights with no service at all in (domestic) First

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2024, 8:04 pm

Programs: My opinions are not those of AA or any affiliates of AMR Corp.
Originally Posted by enviroian
Did she get the BS "the pilot said the flight may experience turbulence so therefore we will take our seats and continue reading facebook and you'll get nothing".
Ever since the pilots received their electronic flight books, technology reporting has advanced so much since the days of yesteryear. During briefings, pilots will use their tablets to show the crew the route of flight, weather, and real-time reported turbulence areas. Yes, they still rely on ATC reports too from the other aircraft, however they have the info at their fingertips at all times.

With the turbulence areas, it's interesting to see in real time the pockets of turbulence across the flight path.

Small jolts...possibly tapping the iPad, or it being moved, will result in a white circle
light turbulence will be yellow,
Moderate will be orange
Severe will be red.

It definitely gives a better perspective than it did 5+ years ago where the pilots would just say "we have 2s and 3s along our path today" which basically didn't mean much to the cabin crews. With this app, they can show our altitude and the areas of real-time reported turbulence from other aircraft of all airlines.

Turbulence showing along a ORD-LAX route
SK, Prospero, enviroian and 5 others like this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Red Raider LV
. . . what exactly are you paying for if you get nothing at all?
Air transport from origin to destination?
Old Apr 1, 2024, 11:06 pm
Formally known as reinmedia

Programs: AA EXP | EX UA 1K | Marriot Titanium
I was on LAS-LAX in F tonight and I switched seats with a mother so she could sit with her daughter which the cabin crew was aware of. The FA went around after take-off by status to take drink orders and completely forgot that I had switched (she had no status) and he completely skipped my row. First-world problems for a 37-minute flight, but I was pretty annoyed. So yes, no service for some on a short flight.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 11:20 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
It has been a couple of years, but when I see these examples I always think of the FA who did a drink service plus provided a fig bar (no idea where she found those, there was no snack basket) in F on PHL-LGA. That is under 100 miles.
It's totally up to the FA and those that don't care bring down the entire group.
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 12:07 am

Don't get me started with AA's horribly poor F&B service. Since the pandemic it's literally any excuse not to offer F&B, even paid. Any short hop I expect nothing, even in F, so if I get even a drink I'm pleasantly surprised. Nevermind, as someone else mentioned, you can get a full hot meal on a 1 hour BA flight.

I frequent LAX/SNA-DFW-Anywhere and it irks me to no end that a 3-3.5 hour flight (LAX/SNA-DFW) has no food for purchase in Y, and DFW to almost anywhere East only has a snack tray in F. But that's a whole other topic.
ConstellationClass likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 3:08 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by mxracer95
Don't get me started with AA's horribly poor F&B service. Since the pandemic it's literally any excuse not to offer F&B, even paid. Any short hop I expect nothing, even in F, so if I get even a drink I'm pleasantly surprised. Nevermind, as someone else mentioned, you can get a full hot meal on a 1 hour BA flight.

I frequent LAX/SNA-DFW-Anywhere and it irks me to no end that a 3-3.5 hour flight (LAX/SNA-DFW) has no food for purchase in Y, and DFW to almost anywhere East only has a snack tray in F. But that's a whole other topic.
I was about to say the same - but that does not help the fact that there is no service. It is also worth pointing out that with the Eurobusiness cabin that Americans so dislike - there could be up to 36 people to serve.LHR-MAN (under 200 miles) I can truthfully say that I have never heard this turbulence nonsense being trotted out as an excuse to do nothing. We sometimes had to stop serving but it was not that often.
Spiff, SK, CJ99 and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 6:16 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, BA Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by spanishflea
I flew PHX-TUS-PHX last week, which has to be on the shorter flights on the network. Both flights had a full PDB offered on the ground, with nuts. On PHX-TUS a full bar service was offered in the air but on TUS-PHX the pilots told us that there would be no service due to turbulence. Good service all round and how it should be done on these really short flights. No service at all is not acceptable and I would write in with a complaint.
most likely this is the difference between PM-US and PM-AA crews. While its starting to go away, its still noticeable in many areas.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 6:47 am
HGH

I rarely get service either direction CLT-BHM. Since I always carry a water bottle, and just want to read in peace, it's not a big deal. And, since I'm in first 100% on upgrades, I'm happy enough for the extra space. The one time there was service was very memorable. The woman behind me got fairly hammered and had a lovely temper tantrum in the middle of the aisle when we were stuck on the tarmac and she really needed to use the bathroom.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 8:08 am

Programs: AA
It has been a couple of years, but when I see these examples I always think of the FA who did a drink service plus provided a fig bar (no idea where she found those, there was no snack basket) in F on PHL-LGA. That is under 100 miles.
​​​​​​​
Interesting, I've also had snack/drink service on PHL-LGA. Very attentive FAs both times for such a short flight. (not a route I'm proud of flying, it was for a connection obviously!)
Old Apr 2, 2024, 8:33 am

Programs: AA Plat. Pro
I fly NYC-BOS a good bit and usually don't expect much on that short route but I am constantly surprised. A couple days ago I was on JFK-BOS and we got a full drink/nits service and the FA actaully did a second round of drinks (plus a PBD)!
Old Apr 2, 2024, 1:33 pm

I was served 4 rum and diet sodas ORD-DSM (Envoy). 1 pre-departure and after 2 more in flight she asked me if I wanted another even though I could tell we were already descending. Her response was, "I'll bring it in plastic so I don't have to take it from you before we land" This flight is normally less than an hour in the air. My experience is that I get better drink service on the regionals.
rayfes likes this.

Last edited by F16wannabe; Apr 2, 2024 at 6:48 pm
Old Apr 2, 2024, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
In the old days, when EQMs mattered, I flew DFW-AUS-DFW a lot, and as I recall I always got a drink and maybe even a snack. But those days are behind us.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Air transport from origin to destination?
Then perhaps AA should charge the same as Avelo or Breeze? I dunno. Hawaiian can serve drinks and snacks (albeit a very limited selection) on 20-minute flights between the islands. It's not that hard to do the basics.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 2:44 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by card1953
In the old days, when EQMs mattered, I flew DFW-AUS-DFW a lot, and as I recall I always got a drink and maybe even a snack. But those days are behind us.
You mean the work culture just got lazier.

If low cost Whizz Air can serve food and drinks for a one hour flight, pretty sure its a US carrier cultural issue.
Spiff likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/2MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Rossodio
I have routinely gotten great service to include PDB and in-flight beverage (often will have nuts/biscoff or a snack basket as well, though I have been told by an FA some time ago that the basket usually only happens when a prior leg for that airplane was some longer flight and there were residual snacks) flying from my home airport GSP<->CLT which is maybe an 80-100 mile trip. I am almost certain it is operated by American Eagle. WeekendTraveler you are a GSP guy too, right? Similar experience?
I fly GSO-CLT multiple times a month. Eagle flights have no problem doing PDB and beverage service with snack in the air. It's a rush, but it's doable, especially since flight time is said to be 20 mins, but is usually 30-35 given runway clearance timing. Mainline on the same GSO-CLT (sometimes with fewer FC seats) won't do PDB or inflight service, even without turbulence.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.