Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flights with no service at all in (domestic) First

Old Apr 1, 2024, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA *S, BA Fanboy

My S.O. who is also an EXP flew DFW-AUS the other night and received no service at all. No PDB, no drink or pack of nut mix in the air. No water. No nothing.

Usually I would consider that a one-off, but as I think about some flights I've been on this year, it's happened to me a few times as well. Routes that come to mind are DFW-XNA, DFW-AUS, MIA-MCO. I get that these are short flights, but what exactly are you paying for if you get nothing at all?

I've been an EXP since 2017, and I don't think I ever encountered this until sometime maybe in the last 6 months. Am I just having bad luck, or is there a trend where FAs are just electing to not perform any sort of service at all on these short flights.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 2:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Red Raider LV
My S.O. who is also an EXP flew DFW-AUS the other night and received no service at all. No PDB, no drink or pack of nut mix in the air. No water. No nothing.

Usually I would consider that a one-off, but as I think about some flights I've been on this year, it's happened to me a few times as well. Routes that come to mind are DFW-XNA, DFW-AUS, MIA-MCO. I get that these are short flights, but what exactly are you paying for if you get nothing at all?

I've been an EXP since 2017, and I don't think I ever encountered this until sometime maybe in the last 6 months. Am I just having bad luck, or is there a trend where FAs are just electing to not perform any sort of service at all on these short flights.
Did she get the BS "the pilot said the flight may experience turbulence so therefore we will take our seats and continue reading facebook and you'll get nothing".

Keep in mind on a BA flight of this duration you'd get a full hot breakfast. Flight attendants hop right up after climb out. Not AA-lAAzy.
Spiff, SK, SEA-Flyer and 8 others like this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA *S, BA Fanboy
Originally Posted by enviroian
Did she get the BS "the pilot said the flight may experience turbulence so therefore we will take our seats and continue reading facebook and you'll get nothing".

Keep in mind on a BA flight of this duration you'd get a full hot breakfast. Flight attendants hop right up after climb out. Not AA-lAAzy.
She did not, and I can recall on two of the flights I was on (DFW-AUS and DFW-XNA) the seatbelt sign was even switched off.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 2:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
I had a similar situation in MCE from San-PHX. The FAs decided to do a water only service for economy but since I am supposed to get a free drink both as EXP and in MCE- another passenger and I on row eight both asked for a beer. The FA looked exasperated and said they werent sure if there were any but went and looked in F and brought one back for each.
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 2:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bbriscoe34
I had a similar situation in MCE from San-PHX. The FAs decided to do a water only service for economy but since I am supposed to get a free drink both as EXP and in MCE- another passenger and I on row eight both asked for a beer. The FA looked exasperated and said they werent sure if there were any but went and looked in F and brought one back for each.

"due to the short duration of this flight......"

Old Apr 1, 2024, 2:51 pm

I flew PHX-TUS-PHX last week, which has to be on the shorter flights on the network. Both flights had a full PDB offered on the ground, with nuts. On PHX-TUS a full bar service was offered in the air but on TUS-PHX the pilots told us that there would be no service due to turbulence. Good service all round and how it should be done on these really short flights. No service at all is not acceptable and I would write in with a complaint.
Spiff, SK, skylady and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I have routinely gotten great service to include PDB and in-flight beverage (often will have nuts/biscoff or a snack basket as well, though I have been told by an FA some time ago that the basket usually only happens when a prior leg for that airplane was some longer flight and there were residual snacks) flying from my home airport GSP<->CLT which is maybe an 80-100 mile trip. I am almost certain it is operated by American Eagle. WeekendTraveler you are a GSP guy too, right? Similar experience?
Old Apr 1, 2024, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
The list of routes is <whatever the professional FAs choose not to do service>
Old Apr 1, 2024, 5:54 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by Red Raider LV

Have you written in to AA after each flight like this? If you don't, you're basically saying this service is acceptable. Things won't change until enough people contact AA. Posting on FT isn't going to help anything.
Spiff likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, AA Nobody, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I have flown CHS to CLT on AA in F recently a couple times and at least got a beverage and a snack basket. And that's like a 45 minute flight.

Sadly, some (not all) FA's want to play on their phones in the galley and their union makes it impossible for them to have anything happen to them.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by Antarius
The list of routes is <whatever the professional FAs choose not to do service>
In fairness, some of their similarly unprofessional colleagues at WN also sometimes avoid beverage service on DAL-AUS despite WN policy explicitly calling for a full beverage service on flights > 175 miles. DAL-AUS checks in at 189 miles.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 6:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GNRMatt
Have you written in to AA after each flight like this?
Hell yeah I do. In fact I do so often after I write a PM on X the reply is always "nice to hear from you Ian". I know damn well I'm probably a target of jokes where ever that center is that they read PM's on X for AA.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 6:42 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Easiest way is to just undo millions of dollars of marketing of whatever AA has spent on social media marketing.

Make a short video about AAs lack of service and compare it to a low cost (international) airline that still serves food on a short flight..post it on TikTok or YouTube shorts, and pretty sure it will gain traction.

Online viral shaming is the way to go, and pretty much the only leverage people have now days to make quick changes.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP
DFW-AUS is notorious for not getting service, even in first.

About a year ago I flew the route and ended up I seat 8C. The flight attended asked me to hold the props for the safety demo. Because of that I ended up getting brought a drink by the lead FA. I was the only person on the whole plane who got anything!
Old Apr 1, 2024, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FlyingLaw
DFW-AUS is notorious for not getting service, even in first.

About a year ago I flew the route and ended up I seat 8C. The flight attended asked me to hold the props for the safety demo. Because of that I ended up getting brought a drink by the lead FA. I was the only person on the whole plane who got anything!
This is why God invented the FA call button. It's always fun to piss off a lazy FA by hitting the button in first, and watching everyone else do it too. 😂
MIAFlyer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.