Wiki Posts
Search

JAL JFK-HND business class 1:30AM flight

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2024, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Question JAL JFK-HND business class 1:30AM flight

Hi all,

Looks like there is a business class flight JFN-HND which takes off at 1:30AM and lands around 4:30AM in Tokyo. This flight is like 60k points so seem to be great redemption value. However, I'm not sure how do I work around 4:30AM landing?

Would you recommend 1:30PM AA Premium economy flight which is around 50 000 miles, or a 1:30AM JAL Business class flight which is around 60 000 miles? I'm interested in overall comfort which includes comfort on the flight itself as well as comfort around jetlag as one flight lands 4:30AM and another one 4:30PM.

Thanks!
Old Mar 29, 2024, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I think you answered your own question.

Old Mar 29, 2024, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
J > PE especially for almost the same miles.

I like morning landings. Force yourself to stay up all day and crash. You're instantly adjusted.
OWF_NYC_SIN and JoeWoodstock like this.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 1:04 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, AmEx Membership Rewards
JAL all the way. Spending 14 hours on a plane and changing all those time zones is going to turn you around regardless of whether you land at 4:30pm or 4:30am, so might as well spend 10k more to (massively) upgrade your experience and enable at least some sleep on that flight.
Spiff, JJeffrey, AJNEDC and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enviroian
I think you answered your own question.

I understand what you are saying. However, perhaps JAL Business class is so much better than AA Premium Economy that I will land well rested and will be able to make it through the day just fine. If that flight landed later than 8AM I wouldn't be asking this question as it would be a no brainer, but 4:30AM is a different story.

But they have that flight for some reason, right? Or is this aimed at Japanese salarymen who land 4:30AM and go straight to the office?
Old Mar 29, 2024, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antarius
J > PE especially for almost the same miles.

I like morning landings. Force yourself to stay up all day and crash. You're instantly adjusted.
I can usually adjust instantly if I land around noon and make it till 11pm. When I land 8AM it makes adjustment a bit more complicated. With 4:30AM landing I'm not sure I'll be able to make it through the day.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyFreakquently
JAL all the way. Spending 14 hours on a plane and changing all those time zones is going to turn you around regardless of whether you land at 4:30pm or 4:30am, so might as well spend 10k more to (massively) upgrade your experience and enable at least some sleep on that flight.
Would you be able to clarify what is so massive about the upgrade? That's what I'm trying to understand and that's what might lean me towards taking this flight as this seem to be a great redemption value.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by kinet3k
I understand what you are saying. However, perhaps JAL Business class is so much better than AA Premium Economy that I will land well rested and will be able to make it through the day just fine. If that flight landed later than 8AM I wouldn't be asking this question as it would be a no brainer, but 4:30AM is a different story.

But they have that flight for some reason, right? Or is this aimed at Japanese salarymen who land 4:30AM and go straight to the office?
Dude you need to get off Flyertalk right away and hurry and snag that JL J seat.

Old Mar 29, 2024, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enviroian
Dude you need to get off Flyertalk right away and hurry and snag that JL J seat.

Old Mar 29, 2024, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Would you be able to clarify what is so massive about the upgrade? That's what I'm trying to understand and that's what might lean me towards taking this flight as this seem to be a great redemption value.
A lie-flat seat vs. a recliner. That’s what is so massive about the upgrade. The ability to lie flat and sleep for as much of the 14 hours as you can, as opposed to reclining 6” - 8”.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 1:14 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, AmEx Membership Rewards
JAL has a fantastic premium product coupled with consistently excellent service. AA Premium Economy is sitting upright for 14 hours receiving what is effectively economy service.

JAL business/first is objectively one of the best redemptions on AAdvantage. Book it and don't think twice.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all! I guess I'll have to figure it out how to make it through 4:30AM landing. I guess redemption value is too sweet to pass on it.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Thanks all! I guess I'll have to figure it out how to make it through 4:30AM landing. I guess redemption value is too sweet to pass on it.
The long flight + huge time zone change is disorienting enough that I don't think 4:30AM landing is such a big deal.
You could be in Tokyo by ~7am with any luck. Booking an extra day at the hotel or a day rate in front of your normal stay to take a quick nap and then try to get onto the local timezone. It's not a morning city anyways.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by Pinned
The long flight + huge time zone change is disorienting enough that I don't think 4:30AM landing is such a big deal.
You could be in Tokyo by ~7am with any luck. Booking an extra day at the hotel or a day rate in front of your normal stay to take a quick nap and then try to get onto the local timezone. It's not a morning city anyways.
OP should be in Tokyo before 6am without luck, if so is desired. This is HND, it's practically in the centre of Tokyo.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA-LT Plat; BA-CCR & LT Gold; SQ-Solitaire; DL-Plat; SPG-LT Plat; HHonors-Diamond; Hyatt-Globalist
I take this flight quite often and that too on a revenue ticket. However, these are work trips so different to-do’s than if it were vacation.

For me, the key is to eat before boarding and then get on and stay awake for the first 2-3 hours. Then I sleep right up to landing. Close to 10 hours of sleep allows me to schlep my way through the entire day before an early’ish night.

FWIW, I would choose a lie flat product over an upright one every single time for a flight time of approx. 14 hours.
Spiff, AJNEDC, Antarius and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.