JAL JFK-HND business class 1:30AM flight

Old Mar 30, 2024, 9:00 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Just to be clear, I (and many others) actively seek out this timing as the other one is extremely painful both from a flight duration (all throughout the day) and jetlag perspective. So this is an incredibly obvious decision.
Spiff, notquiteaff, bse118 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 9:11 am

I'm taking the same flight in a few days. When would you recommend booking the Shinkansen for out of Shinagawa? I was thinking of reserving ahead of time so that I can get a seat with reserved baggage
Old Mar 30, 2024, 9:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by stevenshev
Just to be clear, I (and many others) actively seek out this timing as the other one is extremely painful both from a flight duration (all throughout the day) and jetlag perspective. So this is an incredibly obvious decision.
Exactly. Especially if in J these flights from the US that arrive Japan early morning are vastly superior to the afternoon arrivals from a jetlag perspective. Get on board late at night, sleep a solid 8-9 hours (or more), land in the morning. Take a shower at the airport. Go about the day, and go to bed at a reasonable hour. Presto, you are on the local time zone with a fairly easy adjustment.
ESpen36, sadiqhassan and Antarius like this.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 10:04 am

Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,
Sleep on the AA flight in J and have breakfast before landing. I would take a bus or train as soon as I landed for a 1/2 day trip somewhere outside Tokyo. Then youll crash once you finally get to your hotel late afternoon , wake up in the middle of the night , and deal with jetlag the next day. You did the right thing by seeking advice from Flyertalk.
AJNEDC likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by D3Kingg
Sleep on the AA flight in J and have breakfast before landing. I would take a bus or train as soon as I landed for a 1/2 day trip somewhere outside Tokyo. Then youll crash once you finally get to your hotel late afternoon , wake up in the middle of the night , and deal with jetlag the next day. You did the right thing by seeking advice from Flyertalk.
The OPs question was whether to take a JL biz seat vs. an AA PE economy when then JL flight lands at 4:30 am. There was no option to book the AA flight in J.
Antarius likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 4:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Book the business class flight arriving at 04:30 ; If you are staying at a hotel in Japan, just book hotel for that night so that you can check in and rest a few hours once you arrive
CMTinPHL and view-with-a-room like this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium,
Talking

Originally Posted by kinet3k
I understand what you are saying. However, perhaps JAL Business class is so much better than AA Premium Economy that I will land well rested and will be able to make it through the day just fine. If that flight landed later than 8AM I wouldn't be asking this question as it would be a no brainer, but 4:30AM is a different story.

But they have that flight for some reason, right? Or is this aimed at Japanese salarymen who land 4:30AM and go straight to the office?
Not sure if you are in TYO for business or tourism, either way if I land at 4:30 am and no connecting flights, I will head to the fish market and sushi dai , many sushi and food stall near the fish market open early for breakfast 😝, definitely helps with the jet lag too.
Spiff likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
take the JL J.
when arrival, enjoy the Onsen before heading to the city.
https://www.hvf.jp/eng/hanedaairport-grand/spa/
Old Apr 3, 2024, 7:20 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
I would totally fly J over PE. However, I will caution that when I flew the redeye (in F) on JL JFK-HND, I found that compared to a daytime flight, my tastebuds were deadened, my appetite was suppressed, and I found that I was unable to really enjoy the food, beverage, and service. Nor was I able to get a full sleep, particularly because JL insists on turning on the lights and serving the full meal to both F and J 8h into the 13-14h flight, right during prime sleeping time.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pigx5
take the JL J.
when arrival, enjoy the Onsen before heading to the city.
https://www.hvf.jp/eng/hanedaairport-grand/spa/
That would be nice to visit Konyoku but my significant other wouldn't even let me see it on TV.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 3:20 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
I would totally fly J over PE. However, I will caution that when I flew the redeye (in F) on JL JFK-HND, I found that compared to a daytime flight, my tastebuds were deadened, my appetite was suppressed, and I found that I was unable to really enjoy the food, beverage, and service. Nor was I able to get a full sleep, particularly because JL insists on turning on the lights and serving the full meal to both F and J 8h into the 13-14h flight, right during prime sleeping time.
life flat and clean bathroom = business class

For JAL First, I eat whenever I am hungry; not based on the airline schedule. I assume business class is the same. The difference in price between business class and first class is 60K vs 80K so the flights are generally first class on JAL.

I generally ask for the blanket and pillow immediately and go change into something more comfortable to sleep. Doesn't matter when the flight departs, I am exhausted when I board the plane and normally watch a movie and then go to sleep. A sleeping mask works well enough. I don't like the JAL sleeping masks but have one from another airline that is more comfortable.

The flight is so long the best option is to sleep as much as possible. Little chance of sleeping the entire flight...

As to the 1:30AM flight, the timing is problematic. Hotel check out is noon and hotel check in is 3PM. I live in flyover country so one connection or another is required but often stage myself the day prior for some level of flexibility in the even of irrops. Arriving at 4:30AM is challenging as hotels don't like early check in and don't like check in after midnight. Contacting the hotel in advance could be of value to avoid a no show situation.
Buster CT1K likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 5:15 pm

This is apples to old, moldy apples

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.