Search

Split Record Locator after take off.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2024, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPro
Split Record Locator after take off.

I'm EXP and my wife has no status.

Flying last week, at 5:20am. First class checked in full so I took my seat next to my wife. Just before doors closing a mouthy person in first got booted from the plane. they asked me if I wanted the seat and I took it, thinking it was a nominal upgrade.

They didn't say they would split our record so I took it. Had I known the record was split, I wouldn't have done it because of later flight ugprades.

but upon arrival they did split the record and now upon our return I have been upgraded 100hrs out and both of would have likely got upgraded.

any way to get her back on my status?

Thanks
Old Mar 6, 2024, 10:12 am

Record always has to be split when one passenger is upgraded separately from others. Talk to the gate agent when you arrive at the airport for your return.
BWISkyGuy, tfizzle and DiamondMile like this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
But if you're already within 100 hrs I would call AA ASAP to make sure her upgrade is requested now based on OP's status.
tfizzle and KBMIFlyer like this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP
She can still inherit your status for upgrade purposes without being in the same PNR, just have to fond a competent agent to do this.
tfizzle likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA-EP, A3*G, UA*S
Twitter team has always been very consistent for me in successfully linking separate PNRs for the purpose of companion upgrades. They should get it taken care of with one message.
tfizzle likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 6:55 am
Original Poster

THank you all. I called AA and got twitter to help. Also she is now indeed on the upgrade list, but likley not with my status because I have cleared already 3 days out.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 7:01 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tfizzle
THank you all. I called AA and got twitter to help. Also she is now indeed on the upgrade list, but likley not with my status because I have cleared already 3 days out.
She's there with your status, but the upgrade inventory is likely gone at the moment.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

She made it all the way to 3rd on the list. but no upgrade. we traded seats which was okay with the FA.

Next time, I'll think twice about an upgrade at 5am flight knowing that if it splits the record it will be problematic.

Flew through DFW today. What a nightmare-spring break.
TF
Old Mar 10, 2024, 9:26 am

I had a similar issue with a recent upgrade on PHX-LIH, except that mine happened at the gate upon boarding the flight. When asked if I wanted the upgrade, I immediately said "yes." I asked if the record would be split, and I was surprised that the answer from the gate agent was "no." She manually entered my boarding pass, so I went through the gate without having to scan it. We took off, and I checked my reservation, and sure enough the record had not been split. I took the time to check a few other reservations on my AA app and look for award space for another trip, when I noticed that my entire booking had disappeared. That was just before we lost internet heading out towards the Pacific and away from the coast. My assumption was that my boarding pass had not been scanned or otherwise entered, and my booking had been cancelled. My thought immediately turned to the hassle I would face in getting my return ticket reinstated.

Long story short, that upon arrival, I checked my app again, and it turns out my record had been split. The split reservation reappeared on my app. So even if the gate agent or anyone else tells you a split will not happen, don't count on it. BTW even if they had said yes, I would have taken the upgrade anyway. I just wanted to be prepared to re-link the reservation later for the return trip.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by dc10forlife
She manually entered my boarding pass
D0. She was desperate to get the flight out on time so she boarded you and then processed the upgrade after the door closed. Just a guess.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 11:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by tfizzle
She made it all the way to 3rd on the list. but no upgrade. we traded seats which was okay with the FA.

Next time, I'll think twice about an upgrade at 5am flight knowing that if it splits the record it will be problematic.

Flew through DFW today. What a nightmare-spring break.
TF
It won't necessarily be problematic though. The record split is mandatory but just send a DM to AA from your upgraded seat having them add your now-split +1 as your companion for your future flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.