Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do people dislike CLT so much?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2024, 3:34 am
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Crowded with narrow hallways and nowhere to sit. No flagship lounge for int'l. No showers. Packed lounges. Heavily banked with no ramp space - been stuck for an hour multiple times waiting for a gate, and the ramp is single aisle (not double like ORD). The new parts are nice, but they're at the extremities, and the expansion makes the longest walks even longer. Limited/no windows at some gates. Badly needs the extra runway.
Spiff, enviroian, halls120 and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 4:33 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
I just connected there for the first time and loved it. You can get between the areas without taking a train or subway. It was easy to get around. I got in the AMEX lounge, which I haven't been able to do in Dallas or Miami. Both of those places I barely made my flight and here there was no issue. Miami is absolutely dreadful. I don't care about AA lounge access as I have none. They have horrific policies that even if you fly domestic first, you get no lounge access, which is just short sighted. I will remember to look at Charlotte in the future for connections. I don't like AA, but I don't have much choice from my home airport.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by halls120
If CLT was my home airport, I probably wouldn't dislike it as much as I do. But if you are arriving at CLT from overseas with checked baggage and connecting domestically, it's right up there with EWR as one of the most miserable airports in the US.

I avoid CLT as aggressively as I avoid EWR and MIA when travelling internationally.
Very true.

I will go out of my way to avoid checking bags to CLT.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 5:39 am

Programs: AA, Marriott
It's been years but I'm still slightly annoyed at CLT that they used to hire bathroom attendants who would expect a tip.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 6:05 am

Programs: AA EP
Im based in Miami so Im used to a third world airport, but even by my standards Charlotte is way overcrowded and connecting through there is not a pleasant experience.

My last time through, I was at least excited to get a good barbecue meal. Even that was mediocre, however.

I tend to avoid it when possible.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 6:14 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
They really should expand the food court to make more room for the Chic-fil-a line. 🙂
LovePrunes and Hoi polloi like this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 6:15 am

Programs: AA,SPG, Delta, Amtrak, JB
Originally Posted by Blumie
I think you and I agree that the airport we like to complain about is the new LGA. At the old LGA, you could get from a taxi to your gate in three minutes and all you had to do was dodge the unidentifiable sludge dripping from the ceiling. Now you have to ride up and down escalators and cut through a shopping mall reminiscent of the M&M store in Times Square.
Yeah. You are right about this new version of LGA. WTH!!!!
fender5787 likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 6:17 am

Programs: AA,SPG, Delta, Amtrak, JB
CLT just has low hanging ceilings and corridors that are too narrow for the crush of people.
enviroian, FAA1996 and joeyE like this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 6:20 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta SkyMiles
Flying out of TYS, CLT is usually my main connecting hub followed by DCA and DFW.
Im not a huge fan, but its not awful either. The layout is not bad, but the lack of mobility options between the concourses does stink.
The moving sidewalks between E/D to A/B and kind of C are rarely working. Every time I go through, if they were working it would make them so much better.
It does have a lot of dining options though I always go to the Admirals Club. I cant wait for the C/D Admirals Club to be finished because it stinks that early in the morning, before 7ish am there is not breakfast served and the food options are mostly grab and go. Other than that, its a good lounge, better than the small one in B.
Concourse E is the one that I dont like. Once you get to the gates area, thats like a Greyhound bus station.
I get why its smaller and tight to accommodate the regional jets and it is kind of a haul to go to/from there to the rest of the airport, but its not as bad as people make it sound. Going from D or E to T in Atlanta takes just as long, only less walking but time wise, thats about the same.
Im glad that AA is starting to fly E175 and A319 to TYS now.
sushanna1 likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 6:23 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by OrangeRange
Honestly, I'd take CLT over ORD any day. Then again, my layovers in ORD have all been on dreadful days after working 8 hours and running on 4-5 hours of sleep. So maybe it's not too bad for O&D passengers.
As a native Chicagoan, I have to say I've always found ORD to be a very easy airport to deal with, especially T3. Of course I've almost only used it for O&D. I hear all these complaints about connecting there, but I've never really understood them. For AA, it's far less hassle to connect in T3 than taking the train at DFW, isn't it?
WanderingGent likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 6:31 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
The last time I went through there in the summer, the sheer amount of body heat from the overcrowding was something that the HVAC system couldnt keep up with and it was miserable hot.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 6:38 am

Programs: AA, Hertz, Hyatt, Hilton
Originally Posted by Blumie
I think you and I agree that the airport we like to complain about is the new LGA. At the old LGA, you could get from a taxi to your gate in three minutes and all you had to do was dodge the unidentifiable sludge dripping from the ceiling. Now you have to ride up and down escalators and cut through a shopping mall reminiscent of the M&M store in Times Square.
Originally Posted by vasantn
Yep. I still hate the new LGA. But resistance is futile.
What?! Aside from the long-ish hikes that can sometimes be involved, what is there to hate? Granted, I only travelled through the old LGA a few times, but I absolutely love the new LGA (heading there today, as a matter of fact). And, in my opinion, the Admiral's Club there is one of the best in the system.

As for CLT, I kind of agree. I've insulted its integrity from time to time, but as I think about it, I've encountered nothing at CLT that I haven't encountered at many other airports. So perhaps my ire was misdirected.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by A321T
It's been years but I'm still slightly annoyed at CLT that they used to hire bathroom attendants who would expect a tip.
This! It's the number one reason I avoid CLT. Hate trying to make polite small talk and fumbling for dollars for a tip when I am exhausted and just want to use the toilet. (On the other hand, the restrooms in PHL, especially the Ladies Room nearest the exit in the International Baggage Claim, are an embarrassment.)

Last edited by sushanna1; Feb 23, 2024 at 6:42 am Reason: clarity
Old Feb 23, 2024, 6:49 am

Programs: AA, DL, TK
Originally Posted by WannaTheater
They really should expand the food court to make more room for the Chic-fil-a line. 🙂
Better yet, replace that abomination with another proper food option.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 6:54 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Gerbs
Better yet, replace that abomination with another proper food option.
Based on the size of the line every time I am there, people can't get enough of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.