Why do people dislike CLT so much?

Old Feb 23, 2024, 4:23 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by halls120

I avoid CLT as aggressively as I avoid EWR and MIA when travelling internationally.
I get to connect in BOS on the way back from Europe in a little over a month. Yippee.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Narrow, cramped concourses that are always packed. Insufficient seating in gate areas. Overcrowded Admirals Club. Long and unpleasant walks from the far east end of concourse E if connecting from Eagle.
Uzzar likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by HWGeeks
it's not CLT they hate, its the Panthers.
For me it's the Hurricanes, not the players so much as the fans.

Any warm weather city, or expansion team fans are hilarious to listen to.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by Blumie
At the old LGA, you could get from a taxi to your gate in three minutes and all you had to do was dodge the unidentifiable sludge dripping from the ceiling. Now you have to ride up and down escalators and cut through a shopping mall reminiscent of the M&M store in Times Square.
I sincerely miss seeing the rats scurrying in the old United concourse at LGA. Curb to gate or v/v was minutes and that is gold.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by dc10forlife
I have not been to CLT for some time. Last time, there was no jet bridge to my plane. Is there any other hub that does not use jet bridges at all gates?
LAX (Regional Terminal)
Old Feb 23, 2024, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM HHonors Diamond
CLT has low ceilings. Not as low as JAX 15 years ago, but low enough to be annoying.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by alangore
My least favorite transfer point is DEN. When I arrive on an international flight to connect with domestic, why do I get dumped outside of security after going through CBP and rechecking my bags? Setting up an airside connection would be a real crowd reliever, for both connecting pax and Denver locals going through security.
That happens at most US airports. Definitely also the case at DFW and MIA.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA 1MM/Gold, Marriott Gold
AA already has some gates in the new A terminal and will be getting more as they expands and they move the current DL gates. Much nicer terminal, but a hike to get there.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Former US hubs are, to be charitable, embarrassing for the airline. PHX is run down, so is PHL, but CLT is on another level. CLT is continuously overcapacity - it's not a pleasant place.
Spiff and TheDudeAbides like this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Pinned
Former US hubs are, to be charitable, embarrassing for the airline. PHX is run down, so is PHL, but CLT is on another level. CLT is continuously overcapacity - it's not a pleasant place.
I would personally take CLT over PHL any day of the week.
ysolde, jmrp, ItsAnAdam and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 10:48 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by Pinned
To be fair, DCA is a pmUS hub, and it's really neat and tidy, especially with the recently renovated terminal.

DFW is a bit run down and meh/very old (shades of 1995) in most of its terminals, except for D. LAX and ORD both are somewhat meh as well; haven't connected through MIA yet. JFK is, IMHO, AA's nicest hub in terms of atmosphere, and is quite spacious and very modern.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by dc10forlife
+1

I have not been to CLT for some time. Last time, there was no jet bridge to my plane. Is there any other hub that does not use jet bridges at all gates?
MEEE-ammi
LAX birdsnest
wrp96 and jmrp like this.
Old Feb 24, 2024, 7:21 am

Programs: AA, WN
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
That happens at most US airports. Definitely also the case at DFW and MIA.
All US airports (with international commeercial service), CLT included.

Last edited by JMan40; Feb 24, 2024 at 8:15 am Reason: International
Old Feb 24, 2024, 8:14 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL Silver, UA
Originally Posted by ysolde
I think it depends on number of factors, and, AFAICT, a lot of them are random. My personal least favorite airport is MIA. Too big, too difficult to navigate, too many delays. But that's just based on random personal experiences. That's all any of us have, in the end: random personal experiences.
Ill second that, MIA is the worst. Id rather connect to Delta in Atlanta for my travels to South America.
Old Feb 24, 2024, 10:36 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by JMan40
All US airports (with international commeercial service), CLT included.
Fair enough. I thought that was the case but didn't want to be so declarative just in case there was an exception out there I'm not familiar with.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.