Wiki Posts
Search

Safe separate tickets gap through LAX?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2024, 2:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Safe separate tickets gap through LAX?

Annoyingly, it would seem that AA has put a crazy price rise on one of my oft-flown TP-harvesting routes (I'm taking that personally), and I'm looking for an alternative. The best I can come up with though, so far, involves two separate AA tickets, ...-LON-...-LAX and LAX-...-BOG with all the exposure to irrops that that entails.

I read here that "If the substitute transportation is scheduled to get you to your destination more than two hours later (four hours internationally), or if the airline does not make any substitute travel arrangements for you, the minimum compensation doubles (400% of your one-way fare, or $1,550, whichever amount is lower).", which suggests that AA would very much want to keep delays under 2/4 hours. Yet BTS shows delays into LAX in 2023 of up to 33 hours.

If you guys were booking separate tickets through LAX, how many hours would you want between flights to make sure everything doesn't go pear-shared? Given AA's recent announcement that only AAdvantage members will get favorable irrops rerouting would you want a full 2 days between flights?
Old Feb 20, 2024, 2:35 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by IanWorthington
Given AA's recent announcement that only AAdvantage members will get favorable irrops rerouting would you want a full 2 days between flights?
A full 2 days seems extreme. Make it a long day and spend it at the beach.
JJeffrey likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 4:13 am
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Annoyingly, it would seem that AA has put a crazy price rise on one of my oft-flown TP-harvesting routes (I'm taking that personally), and I'm looking for an alternative. The best I can come up with though, so far, involves two separate AA tickets, ...-LON-...-LAX and LAX-...-BOG with all the exposure to irrops that that entails.

I read here that "If the substitute transportation is scheduled to get you to your destination more than two hours later (four hours internationally), or if the airline does not make any substitute travel arrangements for you, the minimum compensation doubles (400% of your one-way fare, or $1,550, whichever amount is lower).", which suggests that AA would very much want to keep delays under 2/4 hours. Yet BTS shows delays into LAX in 2023 of up to 33 hours.

If you guys were booking separate tickets through LAX, how many hours would you want between flights to make sure everything doesn't go pear-shared? Given AA's recent announcement that only AAdvantage members will get favorable irrops rerouting would you want a full 2 days between flights?
The ...s seem to indicate you'll be connecting somewhere (apt with TP runs). It depends on your tolerance for risk, and your overall budget. I'd say at least 5 hours between flights, which allows for the 4 hour comp to kick in to soften the cost of rebooking on one's own. With the exception of the past month, LAX has fair weather, so that's not an issue, just not sure what your additional hidden airports are (the more likely of bad weather, the more I'd pad).

Are you able to book a multi-city ticket, or use something like matrix to force the routes you want? I've been able to easily get 4 different fare components on one AA ticket before.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Two days is just complete overkill unless you just want to spend a weekend in LA before continuing on to BOG. Reminds me of this guy.

A 4-5 hour connection will give you tons of cushion for all but the most extreme irrops.

AA pads its schedules so much that even if you take a 1-2 hr delay leaving LHR you'll still probably arrive close to on-time or only slightly delayed.

And I wouldn't let AA's rebooking policy "announcement" sway you one bit, there's zero evidence so far of how this will play out in reality or if there will be any negative side effects for members of other partner programs (highly highly doubtful).
ZenFlyer likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob

The DOT language you cite to only applies to involuntary bumps.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
AA still protects on separate tickets, as long as the separate tickets are contained in a single PNR.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
AA still protects on separate tickets, as long as the separate tickets are contained in a single PNR.
There's no way to do that unless you book through a knowledgable travel agent though, right?
Not even through calling AA?
Old Feb 20, 2024, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by hur88
There's no way to do that unless you book through a knowledgable travel agent though, right?
It might work by using the multi-city booking engine to hold the flights, and then calling AA to book, asking the agent to ensure that everything goes on one PNR. But if that does not work, then you're right: the OP would need to go through a travel agent.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plt , Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by hur88
About 8-10 years ago I had a combined revenue ticket and an award ticket in one PNR, the revenue ticket was on AA into LHR and the award ticket was on Etihad from LHR-AUH-MLE. I was shocked when this happened, the agent automatically did it. I got separate schedule change announcements for each ticket and got some confused agents every time I called to adjust the AA revenue ticket (I've never seen this before, I can't believe this was allowed, etc.). It should come as no surprise that on the few occasions I have asked for this since, all agents have been clueless.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 3:26 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
5-6 hours is sufficient buffer IME. 8-10 hours would afford enough time for an excursion outside the compound of LAX for lunch or dinner if that tickles your fancy.

I did a 7hr layover there one time to save a significant # of miles on an award routing.... even with the decent lounge scene (this was pre-covid mind you), I was bored by hour #4.

Any more than that, you might as well just make enough buffer to get a hotel room and have a decent night of sleep in a real bed.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Big thanks to all who replied! I shall carefully consider your advice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.