Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Status Match - Loyalty Point posting timeframe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2024, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Think I am going to be in trouble- but I status matched to Executive Platinum on AA, I need to reach 67,000 loyalty points in the first 3 months and then do this an additional two times to complete the status match challenge and be given the status without further restrictions or requirements. My first 3 month period ends on March 3rd. I realize this is close to March 1st which is the start of the year for LP if you are not doing a challenge, this is just a coincidence it is close to that date.

I still have ~2 weeks before the challenge is over and I have 47,000 LPs and am 20,000 points short. I waited to see what my travel would bring before spending on my credit card to complete the 67,000 LP. I have both a CITI and a Barclays AA card. I have as of today completed the $20,000 in spend (This was all spent within the last week), but both credit cards do not require a payment until March 15th...

It looks to me as if the Barclays will post the LP on the closing date. If I pay this off early will the LPs post early?
Also, not sure of when the CITI AA Charges will post the LP. Again, I have a balance of $15,000 if that is paid today will the LP points post prior to the statement closing date of March 15th.

Like I said, I think I am in trouble, but if my statement closing dates would have lined up with my status Match deadline (March 3) I would have completed the challenge without issue.
I looked in Barclays full T/C and didn't see anything about a date that the LP would post vs the purchase date or paid off date
and in Citi it says this:
Loyalty Points may be earned on miles on purchases made by primary credit cardmembers and Authorized Users. Loyalty Points earned will be posted to the primary credit cardmember’s AAdvantage® account in 8-10 weeks.

Aany help would be appreciated

Last edited by flynhigh; Feb 18, 2024 at 9:00 pm
Old Feb 18, 2024, 10:05 pm

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Originally Posted by flynhigh
Think I am going to be in trouble- but I status matched to Executive Platinum on AA, I need to reach 67,000 loyalty points in the first 3 months and then do this an additional two times to complete the status match challenge and be given the status without further restrictions or requirements. My first 3 month period ends on March 3rd. I realize this is close to March 1st which is the start of the year for LP if you are not doing a challenge, this is just a coincidence it is close to that date.

I still have ~2 weeks before the challenge is over and I have 47,000 LPs and am 20,000 points short. I waited to see what my travel would bring before spending on my credit card to complete the 67,000 LP. I have both a CITI and a Barclays AA card. I have as of today completed the $20,000 in spend (This was all spent within the last week), but both credit cards do not require a payment until March 15th...

It looks to me as if the Barclays will post the LP on the closing date. If I pay this off early will the LPs post early?
Also, not sure of when the CITI AA Charges will post the LP. Again, I have a balance of $15,000 if that is paid today will the LP points post prior to the statement closing date of March 15th.

Like I said, I think I am in trouble, but if my statement closing dates would have lined up with my status Match deadline (March 3) I would have completed the challenge without issue.
I looked in Barclays full T/C and didn't see anything about a date that the LP would post vs the purchase date or paid off date
Loyalty Points may be earned on miles on purchases made by primary credit cardmembers and Authorized Users. Loyalty Points earned will be posted to the primary credit cardmember’s AAdvantage® account in 8-10 weeks.

Look through the following thread for suggestions and answers to many of your questions: HELP! I need xx Loyalty Points (LPs) by date / EOY - 2023-2024 master thread. Regarding AA credit card spending, the rule for this year -- different than last year -- is that LPs will count based on the transaction date rather than the statement date.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 2:45 am

LPs post with your statement closing and miles —about a day or 2 afterwards. Paying the balance early won’t speed up the posting.

Old Feb 19, 2024, 4:57 am

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Originally Posted by 777lover
LPs post with your statement closing and miles —about a day or 2 afterwards. Paying the balance early won’t speed up the posting.
No, the bolded part of your statenent is no longer true for spend in February. As reflected in my post above, on December 6 AA advised cardholders that LPs for February 2024 credit card spend will count based on transaction date rather than statement date. See email attached here. The second sentence of your post remains correct, ie, it is immaterial when the bill is paid.

Last edited by ZenFlyer; Feb 19, 2024 at 6:38 am
Old Feb 19, 2024, 6:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond

Are you sure that you need 67,000 in 3 months? I think that they divide the year into 3rds, so four months each.
notquiteaff and poupre like this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 6:40 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status
Originally Posted by 777lover
Originally Posted by ZenFlyer
No, the bolded part of your statenent is no longer true for spend in February. As reflected in my post above, on December 6 AA advised cardholders that LPs for February 2024 credit card spend will count based on transaction date rather than statement date. See email attached here. The second sentence of your post remains correct, ie, it is immaterial when the bill is paid.
I think LP's will still POST a few days after the statement is issued, but after 2023 they will COUNT as of the transaction date. In other words, you won't see them in your account until the statement date, but they will be applied retroactively to the transaction date.
poupre likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by stanj
I think LP's will still POST a few days after the statement is issued, but after 2023 they will COUNT as of the transaction date. In other words, you won't see them in your account until the statement date, but they will be applied retroactively to the transaction date.
That’s an interesting thought, and those of us on an Instant Status Pass challenge have additional cut-off dates to consider, not just 2/29/2024. Then again, maybe it doesn’t actually matter as this would just post LP with an earlier date than previously, and if they were extra LP not needed for a given challenge period, they would just roll over.

But also worth keeping in mind for timing 20% and 30% bonus milestones.

But the more I think about it the less I think this is actually how it will work. If you have a hundred credit card transactions in a given month, do you expect to see 100 LP transactions scattered across the month with different dates? I think for the Feb transactions they are just going to do one posting dated 2/29 for all the transactions between the closing date in Feb and 2/29.

Last edited by notquiteaff; Feb 19, 2024 at 7:07 pm
Old Feb 20, 2024, 1:33 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
That’s an interesting thought, and those of us on an Instant Status Pass challenge have additional cut-off dates to consider, not just 2/29/2024. Then again, maybe it doesn’t actually matter as this would just post LP with an earlier date than previously, and if they were extra LP not needed for a given challenge period, they would just roll over.

But also worth keeping in mind for timing 20% and 30% bonus milestones.

But the more I think about it the less I think this is actually how it will work. If you have a hundred credit card transactions in a given month, do you expect to see 100 LP transactions scattered across the month with different dates? I think for the Feb transactions they are just going to do one posting dated 2/29 for all the transactions between the closing date in Feb and 2/29.
I think that's right. It should work fine for the annual LP's, but could be iffy for Instant Status Pass challenges depending on when the cut-off date is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.