Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA from PHL to Lisbon or united from EWR?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA from PHL to Lisbon or united from EWR?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2024, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by saxpower
It also depends where in the Philly Area OP lives. The Amtrak Station is Dowtown- OP needs to consider cost/convenience of driving there or taking an Uber or a regional train into Philly.

If OP is unfamiliar with Amtrak, there are other Amtrak stations which may be closer and less crazy than 30th Street. Amtrak stops in Wilmington, DE (I think every NEC train stops there-if not the great majority do. It's my home station- busy for its size, but very manageable) and in Trenton NJ. Again, you'll have to make sure the train also stops at Newark)

One other issue is the age of the kids, which determines how much assistance they need with transfers, etc
Sounds like the OP lives in the Philly area and routinely makes this choice for domestic flights, so I assume they know all that. And New Jersey Transit via Trenton (perhaps with a SEPTA connection) could also make sense depending on where they're coming from.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Regardless of method (Uber X, Amtrak, SEPTA, NJTA, next door neighbor, covered wagon and mules)....$2200 in savings. Take it. Unless $2200 doesn't mean that much to you. But since you asked the question, my bet is that it does....
ashill, moondog, Antarius and 1 others like this.

Last edited by IADCAflyer; Jan 2, 2024 at 2:45 pm
Old Jan 2, 2024, 6:13 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
I don't travel with children, but that's a significant amount of money difference and I'd definitely take the UA flight.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aacharya
UA also flies out of PHL....
Not gonna help.

ETA, well, what do you know, they have one flight from PHL to EWR, which is the only UA gateway that serves Portugal. But I think OP wants to fly nonstop.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Actually, from DE and can use the wilmington Amtrak station, just haven't looked at pricing as I have always thought, driving will be less stressful with kids.

To update, I am also considering TAP airline and going from EWR to Porto (non stop) as from an itinerary perspective it makes most sense and then go to lisbon.
I will be asking about TAP airline in the TAP airline thread, if anyone has experience, please feel free to reply here.

Edit: just checked the Amtrak prices and its $350 one way for 4 persons ( too expensive)

Last edited by tin369; Jan 7, 2024 at 7:21 am
Old Jan 10, 2024, 1:45 am
Original Poster

Purchasing tickets in temp platinum status?

So I signed up for a status challenge and my platinum status ends on the 14th.

When I go to purchase a ticket now. The MCE seats shown $0 cost to upgrade. But the dates when I flying, I will be out of status. Will they charge me at the airport? Or the card on the file? Or do they honor then status when booked?

anyone know a definitive answer to this?
Old Jan 10, 2024, 2:47 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by tin369
So I signed up for a status challenge and my platinum status ends on the 14th.

When I go to purchase a ticket now. The MCE seats shown $0 cost to upgrade. But the dates when I flying, I will be out of status. Will they charge me at the airport? Or the card on the file? Or do they honor then status when booked?

anyone know a definitive answer to this?
I believe the MCE seat assignments should ‘stick’ based on your Plat status when you booked. But any changes to equipment, schedule change to a new flight, etc. means you probably will lose the assignments. Cross your fingers and hope for the best.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 3:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CMTinPHL
I believe the MCE seat assignments should ‘stick’ based on your Plat status when you booked. But any changes to equipment, schedule change to a new flight, etc. means you probably will lose the assignments. Cross your fingers and hope for the best.
In addition to this, to answer the first part of your question, if your MCE seat assignments stick after your status expires, AA will not retroactively charge you for them.
CMTinPHL, tin369 and ZenFlyer like this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 5:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CMTinPHL
I did call them after making this post and the rep said they will charge me at the airport if I am out of status. Also to note this is for an international flight and will be traveling with kids and when I go through the check out steps tickets me select seats for all 4 of us under my account with $0 fees for the seats for all four of us.

should I just book it?

Originally Posted by dkc192
In addition to this, to answer the first part of your question, if your MCE seat assignments stick after your status expires, AA will not retroactively charge you for them.
have you experienced this? Or anyone who has been in this situation?

Last edited by Microwave; Jan 11, 2024 at 2:24 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts for readability
Old Jan 10, 2024, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
I did call them after making this post and the rep said they will charge me at the airport if I am out of status. Also to note this is for an international flight and will be traveling with kids and when I go through the check out steps tickets me select seats for all 4 of us under my account with $0 fees for the seats for all four of us.

should I just book it?
have you experienced this? Or anyone who has been in this situation?
An AA reservations rep isn't going to have a clue about the real world application of this and was just giving you the company line about having to pay for MCE if you don't have status.

There have been tons of data points posted here over the years. As everyone has noted above, assuming no schedule/equipment changes that cause seats to get shuffled around, you and your whole party will keep your MCE seats and will not be charged at check-in.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 5:46 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt

should I just book it?
If you make a change, the res system will likely try to make you pay. Plenty of people have status on February 28 for tickets that are flown on or after March 1. They don't make them pay.....Res agent is not correct.
tin369, CMTinPHL and Beltway2A like this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 6:10 am

Programs: AA EXP
should I just book it?
Yes. See JJeffrey’s post above… As long as there are no changes, etc., your MCE seat selection should remain after your status has expired, and the gate agents, etc. will not try to collect for it.
tin369 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 6:20 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Had this scenario a few times over the last few years, either myself or my wife. We were fine on a couple of trips with no changes but one last minute equipment change put our family all over the cabin towards the rear.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Thank you, your username suggest you are PHL or surrounding area, I replied to JJeffrey, if you could look at that and have any input would appreciate it.

BTW - why is AA so expensive out of Philly?
​​​​
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
An AA reservations rep isn't going to have a clue about the real world application of this and was just giving you the company line about having to pay for MCE if you don't have status.

There have been tons of data points posted here over the years. As everyone has noted above, assuming no schedule/equipment changes that cause seats to get shuffled around, you and your whole party will keep your MCE seats and will not be charged at check-in.
Thank you for confirming and sharing that there are plenty of data points to back this up. Here is the background. PHL - LIS for spring break but as always prices out of Philly is very expensive, so I looked at EWR and united is decently priced at $850 pp plus if I add their version of the seat upgrade to have more leg room ( economy plus seating, I believe) I will have to pay $180 per ticket which brings the ticket prices to $1030, vs AA from Philly is $1400 but I can get the MCE seats for free.

I am asking into consideration the convince of PHL, parking, toll etc to get to EWR and trying to weight against the AA prices and flying out of PHL. Everything said, flying out of PHL would cost me $1000 more fro 4 tickets. I don't know if prices will drop, since its for end of March, but if does that's another opportunity to reduce the price a bit.

Has anyone experienced flying out of PHL to Lisbon and how was the MCE seats and overall experience.

Side note: does AA allow those inflatable foot rest for kids?

Last edited by Microwave; Jan 11, 2024 at 2:25 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts for readability
Old Jan 10, 2024, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Thank you for confirming and sharing that there are plenty of data points to back this up. Here is the background. PHL - LIS for spring break but as always prices out of Philly is very expensive, so I looked at EWR and united is decently priced at $850 pp plus if I add their version of the seat upgrade to have more leg room ( economy plus seating, I believe) I will have to pay $180 per ticket which brings the ticket prices to $1030, vs AA from Philly is $1400 but I can get the MCE seats for free.

I am asking into consideration the convince of PHL, parking, toll etc to get to EWR and trying to weight against the AA prices and flying out of PHL. Everything said, flying out of PHL would cost me $1000 more fro 4 tickets. I don't know if prices will drop, since its for end of March, but if does that's another opportunity to reduce the price a bit.

Has anyone experienced flying out of PHL to Lisbon and how was the MCE seats and overall experience.

Side note: does AA allow those inflatable foot rest for kids?
It's really a personal decision on how much you value your time, money, and the convenience of a nonstop versus saving money going from EWR.

And PHL-LIS in MCE will be no different than any other AA transatlantic flight in economy class. Same economy seat and service, just with slightly more legroom. You will receive a hot meal and 2-3 drink services shortly after takeoff, nap for 3 hours, then a small breakfast shortly before landing.
tin369 likes this.

Last edited by Microwave; Jan 11, 2024 at 2:23 pm Reason: _Please_ use the RBP link instead of creating circular links, please

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.