Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA from PHL to Lisbon or united from EWR?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2024, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Hi all, hope this is the right place to ask this question.

my hoem airport is Philly and AA is the main airline but it’s very experience compared to EWR or BWI. But it’s an inconvenience to add 2 more hours specially with kids to go to these airport. If the cost is within $100 then I pay more as I take into account time/parking/inconvenience etc.

I am trying to book spring break for our family of 4 and phl to Lisbon is $1200+ in basic economy ridiculous and from EWR united or TAP is $650. I have not friend on these airline and not done long haul international with kids. Comfort and convenience is super important for my own sanity. So is united a good option and should I pay more for extra leg room seats? Any pointers to make it more comfortable?

I have Priority pass through chase and wondering which lounge in ewr or Lisbon can we use?

also, can I fly into Lisbon and fly out of Porto?

Thoughts?
Old Jan 1, 2024, 5:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I agree that the PHL to EWR/BWI transfer is a hassle, but not a $550 per person (or more like $300 per person if you factor in extra legroom seat purchases both ways) hassle.

The PP website states that there are two PP lounges in LIS, though I haven't been to either so cannot comment on their quality. There are currently no PP lounges in EWR.

You should be able to book an open-jaw UA fare into LIS and out of OPO (though UA's OPO-EWR is summer seasonal). You might be able to do the same with TAP, though I'm less familiar with their pricing.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 6:21 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Only you can answer if the price difference is worth it to you flying out of the further away airports. As far as experience on the airlines, they'll all be about equal with economy class.

One thing to keep in mind for doing LIS one way and OPO the other way is, if you're renting a car, doing a one-way rental may be much more expensive if you're trying to keep costs down. Pay close attention to those fine details including possibly paying a per-mile fee.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 8:31 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
For traveling long haul international with kids, extra legroom seats probably don’t matter much. In my family, I’m the only one taller than 5’ 2” (I’m 6’ 2”), so I’m the only one for whom extra legroom seats make much difference at all. (Exception there is we normally have the younger one in a car seat on the flight if we’re driving at our destination; extra legroom seats mean he can’t kick the seat in front of him, making policing that easier. But we can also just be good about policing his kicking!) Paying for four extra legroom seats just for me is hard to justify for us. And even premium economy or business class (ie a different seat rather than just extra legroom in a regular coach seat) makes far less difference for the kids than the adults, I think; they sleep in anything anyway (or if they’re not sleeping, I don’t think a flat bed helps that much). We’ve always flown coach long haul with the kids; it’s just fine.

Originally Posted by dkc192
I agree that the PHL to EWR/BWI transfer is a hassle, but not a $550 per person (or more like $300 per person if you factor in extra legroom seat purchases both ways) hassle.
Presumably the cost of extra legroom seats is similar on AA and UA, so it probably doesn’t affect the difference in fare much.

A simpler itinerary is worth something with kids, but I agree that it’s not worth more than $2000 for the family for us.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 10:31 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by dkc192

The PP website states that there are two PP lounges in LIS, though I haven't been to either so cannot comment on their quality. There are currently no PP lounges in EWR.

You should be able to book an open-jaw UA fare into LIS and out of OPO (though UA's OPO-EWR is summer seasonal). You might be able to do the same with TAP, though I'm less familiar with their pricing.
$550 per person savings is a -big- savings. Family of four means $2,200. If this was me....unless you have a major loyalty issue (AA v UA (1W v *), book Amtrak and enjoy the train from PHL to EWR airport.

If you are wedded to 1W/AA, you'll probably find viable routings out of BWI or EWR/JFK on British or Royal Air Maroc or Iberia.
wrp96 and Antarius like this.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 11:58 am
prh

Programs: AA Platinum Plus; One World Emerald
FWIW, I just checked UBER. An XL from Philly City Hall to EWR is under $200.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by prh
FWIW, I just checked UBER. An XL from Philly City Hall to EWR is under $200.
Depending on exactly where the OP lives, and what discounted rates he is entitled to, a one-way car rental in each direction might make sense too.

Amtrak might be cheap on some days -- especially if the kids are under 12 -- but might also be expensive during Spring Break days. And maybe not so easy if there will be any checked luggage on the trip.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
UA also flies out of PHL....
Old Jan 2, 2024, 8:36 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
$550 per person savings is a -big- savings. Family of four means $2,200. If this was me....unless you have a major loyalty issue (AA v UA (1W v *), book Amtrak and enjoy the train from PHL to EWR airport.

If you are wedded to 1W/AA, you'll probably find viable routings out of BWI or EWR/JFK on British or Royal Air Maroc or Iberia.
Indeed. 2200 is a lot of money.
I'm not sure the train is that convenient with kids and multiple luggage items.
There is no nonstop train from PHL to EWR that I know of? So train requires at least two transfers, one transfer to another train and then get on the Air train to the airport? And not a lot of people live across the train station, so that's another transfer (home to train).

I would find a cheap airport parking lot around EWR and just drive in my own car with the family. I can't imagine it will cost more than $25 per day?
Old Jan 2, 2024, 8:45 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by carlosdca
Indeed. 2200 is a lot of money.
I'm not sure the train is that convenient with kids and multiple luggage items.
There is no nonstop train from PHL to EWR that I know of? So train requires at least two transfers, one transfer to another train and then get on the Air train to the airport?
You can take Amtrak directly from 30th St. to Newark Liberty without the need to change trains. Most NE Regionals stop at Liberty - not all, but many do. Only one transfer to the air train. Driving may still be easier if the OP has that option.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 8:52 am

Programs: AA: Exec Plat; AC: 75K; JX: Explorer; HH: Dia; Bonvoy: Gold; Wyndham: Dia
Originally Posted by tin369
I am trying to book spring break for our family of 4
Always good to know the break schedules of your and nearby schools when planning travel. In upstate NY, we have both a Winter Break (Presidents Day week) and a Spring Break usually later than others. As you are finding out, your local airport knows the timing of these and prices accordingly. I typically look to BDL or elsewhere when I know/see my ALB flight fares will be inflated.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 10:47 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by CMTinPHL
You can take Amtrak directly from 30th St. to Newark Liberty without the need to change trains. Most NE Regionals stop at Liberty - not all, but many do. Only one transfer to the air train. Driving may still be easier if the OP has that option.
Well.what are the odds. I recently took Amtrak on that segment and it definitely did not stop at Newark Liberty. Only at Newark Penn train station.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 10:55 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by carlosdca
Well.what are the odds. I recently took Amtrak on that segment and it definitely did not stop at Newark Liberty. Only at Newark Penn train station.
The Acela do not stop at Liberty. I don’t think any of the Keystone services do either. Looking at Amtrak’s schedule it appears ~50% of the NE Regionals stop at Liberty. I agree that driving may still be the easiest if the OP has that option. Would hate to be waiting on the platform for an hour for the next train that does stop after arriving late afternoon from Europe.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 11:18 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by CMTinPHL
The Acela do not stop at Liberty. I don’t think any of the Keystone services do either. Looking at Amtrak’s schedule it appears ~50% of the NE Regionals stop at Liberty. I agree that driving may still be the easiest if the OP has that option. Would hate to be waiting on the platform for an hour for the next train that does stop after arriving late afternoon from Europe.
Between Philadelphia and EWR, looks like about 10 of the trains that go between Philadelphia and New York City stop at EWR.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Between Philadelphia and EWR, looks like about 10 of the trains that go between Philadelphia and New York City stop at EWR.
It also depends where in the Philly Area OP lives. The Amtrak Station is Dowtown- OP needs to consider cost/convenience of driving there or taking an Uber or a regional train into Philly.

If OP is unfamiliar with Amtrak, there are other Amtrak stations which may be closer and less crazy than 30th Street. Amtrak stops in Wilmington, DE (I think every NEC train stops there-if not the great majority do. It's my home station- busy for its size, but very manageable) and in Trenton NJ. Again, you'll have to make sure the train also stops at Newark)

One other issue is the age of the kids, which determines how much assistance they need with transfers, etc
CMTinPHL likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.