Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changing EY FF to AA FF

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2023, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Changing EY FF to AA FF

I booked an AA flight using etihad miles. I have the AA record locator but cannot change the FF # from my etihad to AA (it's grayed out). I've tried FInnair but neither record locator works to find the reservation. Anyone run into the problem before?
Old Nov 21, 2023, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the agent can do it when you check in. Or call EY.

When you book awards and want a different FF number; it's better to book them for "someone else" and enter your info manually, so it does not autofill the FF.
Old Nov 21, 2023, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I think the agent can do it when you check in. Or call EY.

When you book awards and want a different FF number; it's better to book them for "someone else" and enter your info manually, so it does not autofill the FF.
I just did an online chat with etihad and they were able to change it. Next time I'll add it at booking. You're advice is right about booking and leaving it blank. I'm so used to doing it with skyteam and delta lets you easily change it.
Old Nov 21, 2023, 5:26 pm

Why do you want to put in the AA number? The rules do not allow you to benefit from doing so.
you cannot redeem partner airline miles with your partner frequent flyer number and obtain AAdvantage program benefits such as Priority boarding (Group 4) and access to preferred seats.
This has been covered extensively for years on blogs and FT:
News To Me: American Restricts Elite Benefits On Partner Award Tickets
American Airlines Is Preventing Elites From Using Their Benefits on Partner Award Flights
Assign AAdvantage Number to BA Award Booking on AA?​​​​​​​​​​
Adding AA # to flight book with AS miles
Old Nov 21, 2023, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
Why do you want to put in the AA number? The rules do not allow you to benefit from doing so.
Does the system prevent you from getting elite benefits? For example, if EY enters your AA number and then you switch to an MCE seat (which, by the way, anyone can do -- some people just have to pay for it) will the system charge you for the seat?
Old Nov 21, 2023, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
Old link/language. Go to aa.com and click the Join button, then the T&C link from there. That takes you to the current T&C here: https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...conditions.jsp
...and there is no such language anymore.
FlyingEgghead likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2023, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

I’ve got all my EP benefits using avios and EY miles in the past, including upgrades. For this one I just wanted it to show in app. I made mistake of not adding it during booking.
Old Nov 21, 2023, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes
Old link/language. Go to aa.com and click the Join button, then the T&C link from there. That takes you to the current T&C here: https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...conditions.jsp
...and there is no such language anymore.
Interesting, thanks! I haven't seen this change discussed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.