Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

BA limiting the number of awards available to AAdvantage (and other partners)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA limiting the number of awards available to AAdvantage (and other partners)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2023, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I heard that BA awards now base surcharge based on address, not origin.

if so, makes the surcharges higher for US fliers.

on US-LHR, is there a price differential booking through AA vs BA?
Old Nov 8, 2023, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by beachfan

There's a price differential using CX.
Old Nov 8, 2023, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
There's a price differential using CX.
Yes ex-US is a nice difference. Seems a lot less in my experience ex-UK/EU.
Old Nov 8, 2023, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan

You are correct BAEC now prices surcharges by your BAEC address on file and not origin. While it is always worth checking all permutations for a specific booking, in general ex-US one way or round trip should have similar surcharges on BA whether booked BAEC or AA. It is when you are booking one ways from some other place to US that BAEC may have higher surcharges than AA. Not sure about entirely outside of US as I haven't done that with Avios since the changes.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like BA is wide open again from Nov 20 onwards. I guess they missed all that money from people willing to pay $700+ for the privilege of using their miles?
Old Nov 9, 2023, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Looks like BA is wide open again from Nov 20 onwards. I guess they missed all that money from people willing to pay $700+ for the privilege of using their miles?
If Gary from VFTW is right it sounds like this was a surprise to AA. I suspect AA got them to back off of this at least for moment.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Yea. I was surprised that they would cut AA off - its very lucrative for them due to YQ.

Given AA's award ticketing window is 330 days vs 355 for BA, I'm not sure this change would have really made that significant of a difference though.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 36902BRF
If Gary from VFTW is right it sounds like this was a surprise to AA. I suspect AA got them to back off of this at least for moment.
Could be. Let's not forget that AA is the gorilla in the room here. They are a huge airline and a significant amount of BA's business comes from AAdvantage members.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 3:35 am

Programs: AA
VG - awesome heads up!!
You might recall I had raised this issue a few weeks ago that around pre 10/25, there seemed to be plenty of inventory for June from Greece to US then it all disappeared overnight. I had procrastinated to much...
Thanks to you, I just went in and while not back to the same level, there were a bunch of options and I did not hesitate this time...even miler saver B class awards were back vs AA at 400K ea!

On the point of awards ticketing surcharges, I booked 5 award tix Athens to Boston (via LHR) with a surcharge of $395/ea. That wiped out the inventory but I needed 1 more so I paid cash for the ATH/LHR leg on BA and then miles for the LHR/BOS leg.
That portion was avail in Biz at same award level cost as the 5 complete bookings yet the surcharge was $695!!
Go figure but who cares.....I got 6 Biz class tickets for around 250K miles and $2700 total on the exact dates/place I wanted....
Old Nov 10, 2023, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In possibly related news, AA made a bunch of TATL U space available. There is a lot bookable on AS for 57.5k. This is generally higher through AA due to dynamic pricing. I see a lot of 93.5k.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by ctdubl07
VG - awesome heads up!!
That portion was avail in Biz at same award level cost as the 5 complete bookings yet the surcharge was $695!!
Go figure but who cares......
Your booking from LHR originated in the UK so you were hit with UK APD tax which is why that booking had a higher surcharge/taxes payment. I have seen mention that you can request a refund after traveling if you can prove you weren't in the UK for 24 hours. So you might want to research that (I have heard mixed things on success doing this). Also I assume since you are on FT you understand the risks and complications of separate tickets?
Old Nov 10, 2023, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, LH FTL, FB Gold, LATAM Black Signature
In possibly related news, AA made a bunch of TATL U space available. There is a lot bookable on AS for 57.5k. This is generally higher through AA due to dynamic pricing. I see a lot of 93.5k.
They should be able to work something out, otherwise you can pretty much count OW as dead.

QF was always stingy, now lately QR, IB and BA joined the club.

The downside is worse for AA as they are the only one with strictly dynamic pricing. GRU-MIA for 300k R/T? I will pass….
Old Nov 10, 2023, 1:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ctdubl07
On the point of awards ticketing surcharges, I booked 5 award tix Athens to Boston (via LHR) with a surcharge of $395/ea. That wiped out the inventory but I needed 1 more so I paid cash for the ATH/LHR leg on BA and then miles for the LHR/BOS leg.
Go figure but who cares.....I got 6 Biz class tickets for around 250K miles and $2700 total on the exact dates/place I wanted....
The difference in surcharges makes sense. BA's fare disguised as taxes for ATH-BOS is €250 (~$266) whilst for LHR-BOS it is £450 (~$549)
Old Nov 12, 2023, 11:21 am
prh

Programs: AA Platinum Plus; One World Emerald
In response to a question earlier in the thread, last month I booked a September 2024 flight from LHR to SAN. On BA, I would have needed 200K for a club ticket; via AA, it was 117.5.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by prh
In response to a question earlier in the thread, last month I booked a September 2024 flight from LHR to SAN. On BA, I would have needed 200K for a club ticket; via AA, it was 117.5.
BA Business Class award tickets between the U.S. and Europe booked with AAdvantage miles cost exactly 57.5K AAdvantage miles each way. Perhaps you paid 115K for the roundtrip?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.