Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

BA limiting the number of awards available to AAdvantage (and other partners)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA limiting the number of awards available to AAdvantage (and other partners)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2023, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by enviroian
No love loss there. Any "award" ticket that has $1500 in fees isn't an award ticket it's a highly discounted ticket that you can get for 80K miles and not earn miles credit.
I’d give the OP the benefit of the doubt that they are capable of doing basic 4th grade math, and that they are mature enough to make their own financial decisions.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craigthemif
In any event, I have learned that the "surcharges are outrageous, I'm never flying BA/VS/LH/etc." crowd can't be convinced. Let them moan and look for unicorns (international premium cabins on AA, DL, etc.), keeping BA's inventory open for the rest of us.
I've never had any problems finding international partner awards without high surcharges. But then, the UK is never my final destination and LHR is dead last on my list of airports that I would like to transit on my way to Europe. Flying through HEL instead of LHR is an added bonus over top of saving several hundred dollars on my trip to FCO next year (for example).

Even if I want to go somewhere in Europe that BA flies to and AY doesn't, it's still cheaper for me to get an award on AY to wherever and then just buy a ticket on to my final destination.
A CT Yankee likes this.

Last edited by VegasGambler; Oct 30, 2023 at 11:38 am
Old Oct 30, 2023, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Award flights with high surcharges - what an ironic statement. Award flights, and yet you still have to pay an arm and a leg.

There are some BA city pairs where the cash outlay of an award is almost as much as an equivalent cash ticket.
Spiff likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 12:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by craigthemif
In any event, I have learned that the "surcharges are outrageous, I'm never flying BA/VS/LH/etc." crowd can't be convinced. Let them moan and look for unicorns (international premium cabins on AA, DL, etc.), keeping BA's inventory open for the rest of us.
I don't need to look for unicorns -For routes that I want to take, there are plenty of options for flights on better airlines that don't require surcharges - happy to leave the BA options to those that think that paying hundreds of dollars extra to fly on a mediocre airline is a great option. I will settle for Etihad from Sydney - London r/t rather than pay an extra AUD1100 to travel on BA.
Spiff likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 12:24 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Moderator note:

The topic of the BA Surcharge has been addressed enough in this thread--drop it.

Any other posts relating to that will be considered, "piling on," or disruptive and will be deleted:

12.3 Disruptive or repetitive posting

Posts that are inflammatory, inciting or unnecessarily provocative are not allowed.

Disrupting a forum by repetitively posting comments of the same general theme or 'piling-on' by posting merely to reinforce or bump a prior post of a disruptive nature are both examples of disruptive posting and not permitted.
LETTERBOY, GNRMatt and nancypants like this.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 1:37 pm

Programs: Lots
What is the reason that AA (and other US carriers) only open up bookings ~11 months in advance whereas many foreign carriers, including BA as mentioned in this thread, open them up a year in advance? I see it mentioned as an excuse as to why it’s tough to find availability using AA miles every time this topic comes up but I don’t think I’ve ever heard the rationale. Is it some type of system limitation? Or just the way it’s always been with no reason to change?
Old Oct 30, 2023, 3:09 pm
prh

Programs: AA Platinum Plus; One World Emerald
To get back to the original point, about two weeks ago I booked LHR-SAN in J for 57.5K per ticket at 355 days.
Antarius likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by IggySD
What is the reason that AA (and other US carriers) only open up bookings ~11 months in advance whereas many foreign carriers, including BA as mentioned in this thread, open them up a year in advance? I see it mentioned as an excuse as to why it’s tough to find availability using AA miles every time this topic comes up but I don’t think I’ve ever heard the rationale. Is it some type of system limitation? Or just the way it’s always been with no reason to change?
I am not sure if it is a system limitation with Sabre or just AA policy - airlines such as BA, QF, CX use Amaeus ( as does AA in some countries ) ; whether paid or award, AA's booking is limited to 330 days. AA's restriction does mean that those in schemes which allow advance booking to 355 days have neary 4 weeks to make bookings on those airlines before AA members can
Antarius likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by prh
To get back to the original point, about two weeks ago I booked LHR-SAN in J for 57.5K per ticket at 355 days.
You booked an AAdvantage award 355 days before departure?
notquiteaff and Antarius like this.
Old Oct 31, 2023, 1:38 pm
prh

Programs: AA Platinum Plus; One World Emerald
Originally Posted by guv1976
You booked an AAdvantage award 355 days before departure?
Whoops. You’re right. I booked it at 1 am on the first day booking was possible. I was thinking of an Avios reservation I made at about the same time.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 3:52 am
Original Poster

This is hopeful, is 1am in X tine zone the first time they become available at the max window? which time zone are you referring to? I have had no luck finding J availability on these flights, maybe they just get snapped up at the first availability.

Originally Posted by prh
What time of day are you booking? This is the price where they were until recently readily available, and worth it. As there are precious few TATL flights ex-SAN, maybe they just get snapped up immediately upon first availability..

Last edited by Microwave; Nov 7, 2023 at 10:41 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts for readability
Old Nov 6, 2023, 10:33 am

It looks BA is now restricting access to the guaranteed seats to only programs that use Avios as their currency: https://www.headforpoints.com/2023/1...-more-for-you/ .

That may explain why OP is seeing less than they did. Since I never use AA points for BA (I either use Avios or CX) I haven't bothered to explore.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 11:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by 36902BRF
It looks BA is now restricting access to the guaranteed seats to only programs that use Avios as their currency: https://www.headforpoints.com/2023/1...-more-for-you/ .

That may explain why OP is seeing less than they did. Since I never use AA points for BA (I either use Avios or CX) I haven't bothered to explore.
Interesting. I wonder if this affects SWU availability too.
Old Nov 7, 2023, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by no2chem
Interesting. I wonder if this affects SWU availability too.
SWUs use the same inventory, so yes it would
Old Nov 7, 2023, 10:43 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
I've updated the thread's title to more accurately reflect its contents.

~Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.