Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

New and revived long haul routes announcements (not speculation)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New and revived long haul routes announcements (not speculation)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2023, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by scubadu
Agreed, and frankly if the requirement/desire is just to fly to "Oneworld Hubs" in Europe, well, that would pretty much just be LHR, MAD, or HEL.

Regards
I also think expecting AA to fly a lot to OW hubs misunderstands how airlines in an alliance (or a JV) "share" network. Typically, each airline will open routes from its own hubs to numerous other destinations, and partner airlines will add their code to that. So BA will open routes from LHR to various US destinations (be they AA hubs or not) and AA will open routes from PHL or DFW to European destinations be they partner OW hubs or not. There is of course a place for hub to hub routes, but many of them are already in place and quite frankly, it makes a lot more sense for AA to add more desirable new destinations in Europe it can now offer as one stop from much of the US, than open, say, routes to HEL which is not necessarily hugely demanded from the US so that it could serve more routes as two stops through its own hubs plus the relatively limited AY hub.

The competitive situation is fairly simple here. Let's say that there is a lot of demand form the US to NCE. At the moment, DL and UA can offer NCE as one stop from much of its domestic network, but AA only as two stops, except from its hubs (or as codeshares from other BA gateways). Adding a link to HEL would not change that situation and DL and UA would continue to have a competitive advantage over AA on that particular market. By contrast, the new route they are opening evens the field by enabling AA to offer NCE as one stop from any domestic airport AA flies to from PHL. When it comes to passengers' appetite, there is a very big difference between one stop and two stops.
ashill and cmtlatitudes like this.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 4:41 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Of course there is nothing for us on the West Coast of benefit.

UA has a lot more nonstop Europe (and more!) out of SFO. AA has totally given up on everything here, except 15 nonstops a day LAX-LHR. (Sarcasm, I know).
rvolkcpa likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 4:44 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Personally, DFW-BCN is good win for me. BCN is a very popular destination for our study abroad programs and the dozen or so university towns (like mine) that connect just (or primarily) to DFW will swing a lot of scummy back of the plane traffic around spring break and May-June. I t think last year we had three programs go to BCN (20-30 students per group), and a couple more that tried but didn't' get enough enrollment to make.

And the other adds are nice. Connecting to PHL domestically from around here is still tough (though, easier than JFK by some measure). If I have to do two connections, much rather do them on this side of the pond. Still wish there was something to BER -- its such a nice place to land, rest, and then take advantage of the rail network from there (as a leisure traveler). Ah well, maybe in the future.

As for the JFK argument, I don't blame AA for skipping it over. It's such a heavily served market to Europe, fares are cheap, and O/D competition is stiff. I've nested roundtrip flights before through NYC to take advantage of $400 ex-JFK TATL fares in June before, because it was half the price as flying on a single itinerary though DFW. (i gave a day or two in between on both ends of the trip in case of IRROPs). And whenever I take a gander at JFK-LHR flights I always find it so shocking how many seats are left in the back of the plane at T-24 hours -- because I never get on anything but a near full TATL flight from DFW or CLT. It's possible to be the biggest and most premium heavy market in the country and still be overserved.
Edit to add: Scummy is a joke, and coach tickets from here to Europe though DFW are always about $1600+.
travelingdrsuz likes this.

Last edited by MarkOK; Aug 17, 2023 at 4:50 pm
Old Aug 17, 2023, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by ConstellationClass
I keep hoping for the resumption (suspended since September 2001, I believe) of ORD-MXP. Fun fact: currently, Milan-Malpensa is AA's only European destination to be served exclusively from JFK.
Makes sense. NYC-MIL has actual local business demand.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 5:17 pm

I think it is interesting and telling that AA.chooses to fly to destinations like Athens and Venice from ORD and PHL rather than the big hubs where there are 2 to 3 times the number of connecting passengers. There must be real value to the O&D passengers and perhaps AA isn’t abandoning the cities.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by trvlr70
I think it is interesting and telling that AA.chooses to fly to destinations like Athens and Venice from ORD and PHL rather than the big hubs where there are 2 to 3 times the number of connecting passengers. There must be real value to the O&D passengers and perhaps AA isn’t abandoning the cities.
Huh? PHL is AA’s big hub to Europe due to its obvious geographic advantage over other AA hubs without strong slot or gate constraints. If DFW were AA’s main hub to Europe, 1/3 of the country by area and well over half the country by population would have to backtrack a long way.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
As noted by poster above, what other viable hubs would AA have to do TATL? DFW and MIA would be too much backtracking and JFK doesn't have enough feeder flights. AA is left with ORD and PHL and perhaps CLT. Even DL is looking beyond JFK and have several TATL routes out of BOS.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by ashill
Huh? PHL is AA’s big hub to Europe due to its obvious geographic advantage over other AA hubs without strong slot or gate constraints. If DFW were AA’s main hub to Europe, 1/3 of the country by area and well over half the country by population would have to backtrack a long way.
I guess I’m just surprised CLT isn’t getting these flights.

Originally Posted by hirohito888
As noted by poster above, what other viable hubs would AA have to do TATL? DFW and MIA would be too much backtracking and JFK doesn't have enough feeder flights. AA is left with ORD and PHL and perhaps CLT. Even DL is looking beyond JFK and have several TATL routes out of BOS.
CLT
LovePrunes likes this.

Last edited by Microwave; Aug 18, 2023 at 8:32 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts for readability
Old Aug 17, 2023, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA, but I play the field
CLT
But everyone hates connecting in CLT , , ,
Spiff, wrp96, JoeWoodstock and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
CLT has no space. Pretty sure they're tapped out of widebody gates right now.

That doesn't get into the broader yield issue and lack of O&D traffic.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
CLT, even more than PHL, exists as a hub not because of its O&D traffic but because US/AA have set up a large connecting hub. I think CLT has much lower enplanement costs than PHL (I think PHL is on the low side among major international gateways, but CLT is just about the cheapest major airport in the business, which is probably the single reason for an airline that styled itself LCC to have one of the largest hubs in the US in such a small market), but that matters a lot more for routing passengers from the northeast and Midwest to Florida than it does for much higher fare Europe traffic. And for Europe you only need one or two domestic banks to provide the feed. So for all of these reasons PHL’s geography wins over CLT for transatlantic traffic.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=CMH-PHL-CPH;CMH-CLT-CPH
Old Aug 17, 2023, 9:51 pm

CLT is a hot mess. I'd take connecting through PHL any day.

My only problem with PHL is often I need to fly to/from BUF instead of DCA/IAD/BWI. AA only runs the cattle class ERJ-145s on BUF-PHL non-stop, so I tend to avoid PHL, even being a short flight.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 2:06 am

Programs: KLM and AA
Guess PRG isn't going to happen again.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 8:24 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by hirohito888
AC also serves CPH from YYZ and YUL, so *A is pretty well covered. Tho I wonder why AA doesn't outsource this route to AY, they could operate CPH-PHL, similar to how they did ARN-JFK/LAX/MIA a year or so ago. They already do CPH-DOH.
I was in CPH a few weeks ago and was very surprised that from what I saw, no US carrier operated to it. I guess UA is codesharing on the SK flights, but if AC can fill 11 flights a week (summer) I found its odd that the other alliances transited their traffic though LHR/AMS/CDG hubs.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by PLeblond
I was in CPH a few weeks ago and was very surprised that from what I saw, no US carrier operated to it. I guess UA is codesharing on the SK flights
DL fly JFK-CPH (though summer season only). And indeed, SK is taking care of the *A flights to the US with UA code-sharing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.