FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA Qatar Award buyer beware (ensure baggage allowance) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2125676-aa-qatar-award-buyer-beware-ensure-baggage-allowance.html)

Delta141 Jun 20, 2023 3:32 am

Originally Posted by Reno1979 (Post 35346700)
Quick question to Delta141... Do you hold any Oneworld status?

Ruby

erik123 Jun 20, 2023 3:45 am

If this is a known issue QR should be able to provide agent instructions to disregard and allow the standard F allowance.

csycsycsy Jun 20, 2023 5:00 am

Would QR have taken the same payment from AA despite AA's no-baggage ticketing error, or is there really a "no baggage intl F" intra-airline rate?
If former that's a bit disingenuous.

What if AA's ticketing system mistakenly put in "no meals"?
QR FA's will also go by the book?

Why didn't (or should have) the QR station manager (so not the powerless outsourced agents) engaged OP?

Delta141 Jun 20, 2023 5:35 am

Here is what I assess so far from your responses, and I am truly grateful to all of you:

1. It is a glitch.
2. It is hard to know what the source is (could be anywhere, AA, QR, a third party, an API system or a software bug, etc.)
3. QR front line staff, when in departure control mode (DCS), whatever software flavor they use, has little or no ability to overwrite system values. Ditto for AA phone support lines.
4. Incorrectly booked tickets are possible and under such conditions the baggage allowance by the servicing airline (QR in this case) should be questioned and verified by the passenger, way in advance of the date of travel. (New info for me)
5. One should never assume that first or business class fares have baggage allowance attached to them (that's why I wanted to see the fare rules and the contract of carriage but so far I have not found it as it applies to my specific fare).

I usually don't post much on FT and the reason for chiming in this time was to alert others to such blind spots.

I am sure QR is a fine airline and that my experience is a very specific, limited case that fuses multiple glitches, including some on my side. I have interacted with many fellow travelers and colleagues who have praised their QR experiences. I am fairly certain that had I been on a QR revenue booking, my experience would have been much different.

At the end, I am happy that I quickly realized that QR staff at BKK and the AA staff on the phone, with two long holds several hours before departure, would not manage to effectively solve the problem. Canceling and rebooking on another airline was the best outcome for my set of conditions.

Thank you to all of you and wishing you safe travels!
Delta141

Agent69 Jun 20, 2023 6:29 am

Originally Posted by csycsycsy (Post 35346951)
Would QR have taken the same payment from AA despite AA's no-baggage ticketing error, or is there really a "no baggage intl F" intra-airline rate?
If former that's a bit disingenuous.

What if AA's ticketing system mistakenly put in "no meals"?
QR FA's will also go by the book?

Why didn't (or should have) the QR station manager (so not the powerless outsourced agents) engaged OP?

Not a very good analogy, given there is no such option in the booking process (it's a bit like suggesting AA could put in a 'cannot use the toilets' option).

mdg4spurs Jun 20, 2023 7:48 am

Has anyone been successful in getting AA to correct this known issue? If so, can you please share how you were able to do it. I assume its just a matter of continually calling AA until you get an agent that is willing and able to fix it. I have BKK-DOH booked in F on an AA award ticket in January. Before I checked out it specifically showed 2 free checked bags but I don't see any baggage allowance when I manage my booking on Qatar web site.

S.R Jun 20, 2023 8:04 am

Originally Posted by mdg4spurs (Post 35347304)
Has anyone been successful in getting AA to correct this known issue? If so, can you please share how you were able to do it. I assume its just a matter of continually calling AA until you get an agent that is willing and able to fix it. I have BKK-DOH booked in F on an AA award ticket in January. Before I checked out it specifically showed 2 free checked bags but I don't see any baggage allowance when I manage my booking on Qatar web site.

Yup any guidance is appreciated. I've spoke to 3 AA agents so far who still have no clue how to fix it. I even called the Australia number.

flying_geek Jun 20, 2023 8:09 am

Odd (though less dramatic) weird luggage behavior happens on AA too. This morning I am flying with family (me - EXP, wife - PLT and son - GLD) but with a broken up PNR. We had 5 bags to check. Didn’t really pay attention to the order of bags. 3 were over 23kg. - but less than 32kg. Check in agent processed 3 bags and then insisted we have to take something out or pay overweight since my bags are already gone and she can’t change the light bag under me for the overweight one. We repacked but thought it was petty and silly

Delta141 Jun 20, 2023 8:43 am

If I have to speculate, this issue 'feels' like a misconfigured API, probably on the AA side (receiving side) but it is not impossible to be on the sending side (the metal airline producing its PNR). I doubt this issue can be solved by any reservation agent or gate/check-in agent on either side. It should probably be addressed by AA's IT department supporting ticketing or perhaps AA's GDS.

It is also possible that QR uses a different GDS, like Amadeus and the error may be generated when the two (or more) GDSs swap out data, especially when the receiving (GDS) API is misconfigured. It is possible that some 3P software package creates errors in the process. Only IT support backing up ticketing on AA's side can investigate and locate the issue.

Most AA agents would have likely never heard of this issue.

Delta141 Jun 20, 2023 8:49 am

Looks like QR is using Amadeus, if this slide is up-to-date.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...d246a3e482.png

CodeAdam10 Jun 20, 2023 9:29 am

Here's an old thread on the EY/AA baggage endorsement issues from a few years back: I quickly glanced at the latest posts and apparently this is still happening. Wow.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-etihad-3.html

hmsflyer Jun 20, 2023 10:37 am

OP, thanks for the heads-up. I am scheduled to fly LHR-DOH-SGN and then SIN-DOH-MAD on QR in J in a few months on award tickets. As this is a significant potential problem, I called the EXP desk and the agent advised her computer showed a 40kg free baggage allowance. My ticket confirmation did not contain anything specific nor could the agent send to me anything in writing confirming the baggage allowance. She then called her help desk which confirmed the 40kg limit but, once again, they came up empty on providing an on-line source to confirm. Nor could they confirm my baggage entitlement on QR as a One-World Emerald. So, when I have free time to burn, I will call QR and, perhaps, they can confirm and send an email or point to an on-line resource. BTW, I found the award tickets on QR to be plentiful and a real "bargain" given the absurd mileage requirements for international premium cabins on AA. I am therefore taking a very circuitous route to SE Asia but for miles which don't break the bank.

flying_geek Jun 20, 2023 10:56 am

I looked up my QR reservation (actually my wife’s) on the QR website and it displays an allowance - feel good enough about it

S.R Jun 20, 2023 11:04 am

Originally Posted by flying_geek (Post 35347878)
I looked up my QR reservation (actually my wife’s) on the QR website and it displays an allowance - feel good enough about it

Can you share a screenshot as to where on the QR manage booking page you see this?

Thanks

hmsflyer Jun 20, 2023 11:09 am

S.R, the website does show a baggage allowance, but it is not clear if this applies to an award ticket via AA. So, for example, the J baggage allowance is listed at 40kg but for ticketing categories they list as "Business Lite," "Business Classic," "Business Comfort," and "Business Elite." If I had to guess, an award ticket (U Class) does not fall into one of these categories and, if not, the uncertainty remains. My confirmation on QR's website does not show a baggage allowance.