FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA Qatar Award buyer beware (ensure baggage allowance) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2125676-aa-qatar-award-buyer-beware-ensure-baggage-allowance.html)

flying_geek Jun 20, 2023 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by S.R (Post 35347899)
Can you share a screenshot as to where on the QR manage booking page you see this?

Thanks

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...997bf60fcb.jpg
Here you go - Had to scroll down a bit on that page

bocastephen Jun 20, 2023 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by steveholt (Post 35346480)
Of course, agents do charge for bags in international F on every single airline if you go beyond the baggage allowance. In most cases, the baggage allowance for international F is in the 2-3 bag range. Because AA didn't issue this ticket properly, the baggage allowance here was zero and the airline charged accordingly. To say that there aren't any baggage fees in F is naive.

I do sympathize with OP here, though. AA didn't issue this ticket properly and didn't provide the resources to solve the issue quickly. I've had issues with AA ticketing on awards before and found them to be either extremely frustrating or straight-up incompetent when I've been able to get in touch with an agent, let alone enduring long waits at the check-in counter in the hours before my flight.

This defies common sense on the part of QR and specifically their agents. There is a vast difference between excess or overweight bags, and a customer presenting bags that fall well within the allowance published by the operating carrier for each cabin. Only a robot would even look at what's on the ticket and refuse to use their own judgement to figure out the correct solution is to allow bags per the carrier's normal policy for first class. A ticket with 0 baggage allowance makes no sense in the real world. Sure, there is significant blame on AA for creating the opportunity for this mess in the first place, but most of the blame should fall on the airport staff who were just going out of their way to be idiots.

flying_geek Jun 20, 2023 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 35348141)
This defies common sense on the part of QR and specifically their agents. There is a vast difference between excess or overweight bags, and a customer presenting bags that fall well within the allowance published by the operating carrier for each cabin. Only a robot would even look at what's on the ticket and refuse to use their own judgement to figure out the correct solution is to allow bags per the carrier's normal policy for first class. A ticket with 0 baggage allowance makes no sense in the real world. Sure, there is significant blame on AA for creating the opportunity for this mess in the first place, but most of the blame should fall on the airport staff who were just going out of their way to be idiots.

It is quite possible that a "robot" (computer) is just refusing to accept any allowance - it appears that their allowance is KG rather than piece based. So if that number is set to zero - the computer wants to charge for any extra kgs. And if you then have drones at the counter that are not empowered to override anything - you might have what happened here. Obviously they could have done something to try to help OP and I would agree they should be able to realize that something is wrong. But if you read my AA experience from earlier today - common sense or doing what is right for the customer is not always available. In my AA example from today they were perfectly OK with the weight - they just insisted on redistribution for no good reason at all. AA saved nothing

Agent69 Jun 20, 2023 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Delta141 (Post 35347011)
I am sure QR is a fine airline and that my experience is a very specific, limited case that fuses multiple glitches, including some on my side.

Rated No 2 in the latest Skytrak awards (as opposed to AA, who are listed at No 82)

https://www.worldairlineawards.com/w...airlines-2023/

flying_geek Jun 20, 2023 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Agent69 (Post 35348239)
Rated No 2 in the latest Skytrak awards (as opposed to AA, who are listed at No 82)

https://www.worldairlineawards.com/w...airlines-2023/

Yeah, but Iberia made 14...

1kprem Jun 20, 2023 1:05 pm

This posting caught my eye as it seems AA puts all the burden on the traveler to determine baggage information for themselves. I checked an AA booking I have to see if AA posts bag information on the ticket. I checked several ways one could pull up allowed bags based on what a ticket stated but the only bag information listed was on the original trip confirmation receipt I received at time of ticketing. When I go to the ticket online at AA.com, nothing specific to that ticket is there about bags. If I resend the itinerary ticket, no bags are mentioned. So if I accidentally delete that one email I got at time of ticketing, I have no proof in writing of bags allowed on that ticket. All I have is what AA refers me to on its site regarding allowed bags in general which is not ticket specific. Am I missing another way of getting bag information from an AA ticket other than the initial trip confirmation email?

Happy Jun 20, 2023 1:55 pm

@1kprem

You can get the full ticket information by using the download or print function, NOT the email function. Email function would only send you an itinerary without ticket number, let alone bag allowance. It is pretty much useless.

These functions are shown as little symbols on the right hand top corner - actually when you pull up the trip, if it is on a PC or laptop, i.e. non mobile device, the old format that had a tab of Print Receipt would flash for a second, then the screen changes to a Mobile device centric display with the 3 little symbols shown on the right hand top corner, an envelop (email), a printer (print), a download symbol.

I just did that with revenue tickets done at ticketing office, hence the system does NOT even send an email confirmation, despite the agent said she sent it. I have done ticketing office or airport counter ticketing in the past, NEVER once I receive a email confirmation. What I received were those voucher stye receipt. In order to get the full details including the ticket number, is to go thru Manage Trip to pull up the trip and get a printable file. I then print it as PDF file.

The receipt has all the details just like what is listed in your initial confirmation email.

Antarius Jun 20, 2023 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 35348141)

Agree with you completely. Unfortunately, QR front line staff are literally robots, incapable or not allowed to use one iota of common sense.

This thread has been very helpful. I have QR flights coming up in the next few months and will check the QR side. My AA ticket has the printed allowance, but I will check my QR PNR to be sure. Thanks Delta141 and everyone for the useful insight.

Happy Jun 20, 2023 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by erik123 (Post 35346828)
If this is a known issue QR should be able to provide agent instructions to disregard and allow the standard F allowance.

In an ideal world, yes.

In a more practical world, QR treats partner awards at the bottom of its totem pole. There are no small amount of complaints on how when QR needs to bump passengers, those on partner awards got bumped first, just sayin.

In other words, QR is not keen to let partner programs to enjoy its superior products so it only does the minimum required, strictly by the agreements between partners.

For those who dont like such behavior, the choices are yours, stop redeeming your AA miles to fly QR. Issue solved. Else, you just have to learn the quirks of this particular partner to ensure a smooth experience.

There are other partners, IB and BA come to mind, also have their quirks that can cause serious mess should you are unaware of such. I remember in the past IB would cancel award without reason, after already ticketed. Something to do with IB to IB connection or whatever, I forgot.

Flyertalk and other online bloggers are good places to learn about such quirks / how to avoid it / fix it. Ranting while is good for emotion, does not give you any help because these airlines / partner agreements would not change just because you are greatly inconvenienced by partner award ticketing issue... And that too, is part of the "common sense" mentioned a lot in this thread, just sayin.

Happy Jun 20, 2023 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by hmsflyer (Post 35347823)
OP, thanks for the heads-up. I am scheduled to fly LHR-DOH-SGN and then SIN-DOH-MAD on QR in J in a few months on award tickets. As this is a significant potential problem, I called the EXP desk and the agent advised her computer showed a 40kg free baggage allowance. My ticket confirmation did not contain anything specific nor could the agent send to me anything in writing confirming the baggage allowance. She then called her help desk which confirmed the 40kg limit but, once again, they came up empty on providing an on-line source to confirm. Nor could they confirm my baggage entitlement on QR as a One-World Emerald. So, when I have free time to burn, I will call QR and, perhaps, they can confirm and send an email or point to an on-line resource. BTW, I found the award tickets on QR to be plentiful and a real "bargain" given the absurd mileage requirements for international premium cabins on AA. I am therefore taking a very circuitous route to SE Asia but for miles which don't break the bank.

You can download your receipt from AA site, the baggage allowance would be on it IF the ticket was issued properly.

Also you can pull up your reservation on QR site, their site displays all the details of the trip, from the ticket number to the baggage allowance to the ordering meal, as well as seat selection.

Honestly I dont understand WHY people do not go to the Operating airlines own website to check the trip? If there is any schedule changes, funny looking of the itinerary, whatever unusual thing, you will see it right away on the Operating airlines.

The first thing I do after booking a partner award, from ANY FFP, I would go to the partner sites to check on the status of each segment operated by a partner. Often the partner site also let you get a ticket emailed to you, or printed from the site - what you get is EXACTLY what the partner sees in its system. To me, this is the only way to ensure the award ticket is properly issued by the issuing airline, be it AA, UA, DL, AS, BA or Aeroplan - the programs we use very often, 70% of the time involved partner flights.

236Dakota Jun 20, 2023 2:18 pm

We had a different problem last week. Booked business/award IAD-DOH-CPT. At Check-in Qatar said, "You have a reservation, but no ticket"(reservation showed in the Qatar AP). They said we'd need to contact AA. They were at the next counter. Talked to the AA agent and they said there was a schedule change (minutes) which caused AA to re-ticket/new number. They said this happens all the time and Qatar doesn't know how to deal with this. Agent walked down to the Qatar agent and instructed him how to deal with it. We have a return ticket (different ticket) in another week and hope this doesn't happen again (there are no AA agents in CPT). We brought this up with Qatar when we changed planes in DOH and they said it looked OK, but if there is a problem, we'd need to contact AA.

Happy Jun 20, 2023 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by 236Dakota (Post 35348491)
We had a different problem last week. Booked business/award IAD-DOH-CPT. At Check-in Qatar said, "You have a reservation, but no ticket"(reservation showed in the Qatar AP). They said we'd need to contact AA. They were at the next counter. Talked to the AA agent and they said there was a schedule change (minutes) which caused AA to re-ticket/new number. They said this happens all the time and Qatar doesn't know how to deal with this. Agent walked down to the Qatar agent and instructed him how to deal with it. We have a return ticket (different ticket) in another week and hope this doesn't happen again (there are no AA agents in CPT). We brought this up with Qatar when we changed planes in DOH and they said it looked OK, but if there is a problem, we'd need to contact AA.

What happened is, when AA reissue a new ticket, the ticket replaced the old ticket, but somehow did not attach to the reservation. This happens often, not just with QR.

What you should do, is whenever AA reissued a ticket, go to the operating airline's website, pull up your reservation - then CHECK the ticket number on the reservation - whether it is the old one or the new one AA reissued. It should be the new one, if the ticket is properly attached. If it remains the old one, then you need to call QR and inform QR that there is a new ticket, give the agent the new ticket number. The agent could hunt it down and then properly attach it. What the AA agent said QR did not know what to do, is not exactly correct, because QR system may not even know AA has reissued the ticket.

So for your return from CPT, just monitor if there is any schedule change / AA reissue ticket - if there is such thing, then make sure QR shows the new ticket on your CPT return reservation.

Antarius Jun 20, 2023 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 35348490)
Honestly I dont understand WHY people do not go to the Operating airlines own website to check the trip? If there is any schedule changes, funny looking of the itinerary, whatever unusual thing, you will see it right away on the Operating airlines.

The first thing I do after booking a partner award, from ANY FFP, I would go to the partner sites to check on the status of each segment operated by a partner. Often the partner site also let you get a ticket emailed to you, or printed from the site - what you get is EXACTLY what the partner sees in its system. To me, this is the only way to ensure the award ticket is properly issued by the issuing airline, be it AA, UA, DL, AS, BA or Aeroplan - the programs we use very often, 70% of the time involved partner flights.

I always do this, however I have never checked baggage. If I see my ticket ticketed and my seats, I've considered it good.

Lesson learned given this thread. Never been burned, but good to know.

Happy Jun 20, 2023 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 35348527)
I always do this, however I have never checked baggage. If I see my ticket ticketed and my seats, I've considered it good.

Lesson learned given this thread. Never been burned, but good to know.

We never check bags either, except when the airlines weight restriction on carry on is a 7kg for business class like CX and if the agent enforces such. (had that happened once by KLM agent on behalf of Alitalia several years ago).

I checked the partner sites is to make sure the reservation is properly ticketed - that is the first and utmost thing. Then periodically checking to make sure no flight schedule change or whatever that does not look right - always much easier to address the issues when there are still ample time before departure then address the issues at check in counter!

Antarius Jun 20, 2023 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 35348560)
We never check bags either, except when the airlines weight restriction on carry on is a 7kg for business class like CX and if the agent enforces such. (had that happened once by KLM agent on behalf of Alitalia several years ago).

I checked the partner sites is to make sure the reservation is properly ticketed - that is the first and utmost thing. Then periodically checking to make sure no flight schedule change or whatever that does not look right - always much easier to address the issues when there are still ample time before departure then address the issues at check in counter!

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I always check bags, however have never checked a partner PNR for my baggage allowance. I check that it's ticketed correctly and has my seats, but that's it.

Going forward, I'll also keep an eye out on the baggage allowance on the partner PNR.