FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA Qatar Award buyer beware (ensure baggage allowance) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2125676-aa-qatar-award-buyer-beware-ensure-baggage-allowance.html)

Fly2Connect Jun 19, 2023 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by rrgg (Post 35345069)
Is it really considered normal to be charged $1500+ for checked bags? I don’t understand that. Is this a cargo rate or something?

This is somewhat common when airlines use a weight based luggage limit instead of a piece based limit. I've seen similar estimates on TK for their weight based routes in the past. It's insanity.

Centurion Jun 19, 2023 7:57 pm

Someone wrote on airport agents working miracles. Unfortunately that is no longer possible. All of the airlines computers have been locked down on what individuals can do almost anywhere and the override capability is limited and trackable and audited.

SUPERTRAVEL Jun 19, 2023 8:23 pm

For what it's worth, I recently flew on an AAdvantage award MCO-CLT-JFK-DOH-JED. There were no baggage issues on the outbound since the originating flight was on AA.
The return was all QR, JED-DOH-MIA. No baggage issue there either. I no longer have my paperwork but I recall it did say 1 free check-in baggage. Ditto on QR's website.
And I do print all that stuff and bring it with me, even on domestic flights, because you just never know when someone is going to challenge you on anything.

Antarius Jun 19, 2023 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by felicidad76 (Post 35345794)
actually I don't agree. I took then from bkk to doh to lax in first and business and FA are so anemic that I was quite underwhelmed. FA have nothing in common, they are from different countries and work like untuned orchestra. On the other hand Singapore airlines in business was a plus. Luckily i credot singapore airlines to Alaska account.

Interesting. My experiences have been much more positive, almost to the point of too proactive. My only complaint about QR is the Qsuite; it's nice and fancy, but real tight for tall people.

FAs having nothing in common - never experienced any issues with this, ever, on QR or other airlines.

355F1 Jun 19, 2023 10:11 pm

I’m sorry but there exists an International First Class ticket that does NOT include checked baggage???? What the serious hell….

Antarius Jun 19, 2023 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by 355F1 (Post 35346360)
I’m sorry but there exists an International First Class ticket that does NOT include checked baggage???? What the serious hell….

It doesn't. It's just that there's a bug that shows no baggage and the QR drones are unwilling, incapable or not allowed to question this absurdity.

their behavior and the structure they operate in is in the same level of competence as a pilot taking off after being giving clearance despite seeing a plane stopped on the runway. Common sense, why bother.

bocastephen Jun 19, 2023 10:28 pm

While the fault my lay with AA, what kind of dimwitted airline or check-in agent thinks it's remotely OK to charge for checked or carry-on bags in international first class?? It shouldn't matter what's printed on the ticket, no one in their right mind would think that there should be any kind of baggage fee in the F cabin regardless of which airline you're flying.

3544quebec Jun 19, 2023 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 35346383)
While the fault my lay with AA, what kind of dimwitted airline or check-in agent thinks it's remotely OK to charge for checked or carry-on bags in international first class??

A check-in agent on secondment from Frontier Airlines ?

steveholt Jun 19, 2023 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 35346383)
While the fault my lay with AA, what kind of dimwitted airline or check-in agent thinks it's remotely OK to charge for checked or carry-on bags in international first class?? It shouldn't matter what's printed on the ticket, no one in their right mind would think that there should be any kind of baggage fee in the F cabin regardless of which airline you're flying.

Of course, agents do charge for bags in international F on every single airline if you go beyond the baggage allowance. In most cases, the baggage allowance for international F is in the 2-3 bag range. Because AA didn't issue this ticket properly, the baggage allowance here was zero and the airline charged accordingly. To say that there aren't any baggage fees in F is naive.

I do sympathize with OP here, though. AA didn't issue this ticket properly and didn't provide the resources to solve the issue quickly. I've had issues with AA ticketing on awards before and found them to be either extremely frustrating or straight-up incompetent when I've been able to get in touch with an agent, let alone enduring long waits at the check-in counter in the hours before my flight.

largeeyes Jun 20, 2023 1:50 am

I can only had the data point that I had no issues with my AA booked QR Biz Class fare last October. Something squirrelly happened here.

Originally Posted by El_Duderito (Post 35345990)
I just looked up various AA, BA and QR tickets I have on BER-DOH-BKK vv. as well as BER-DOH-MLE vv.
Cash tickets show proper baggage allowance. My BA award tickets show a mix of 'two pieces' (for a C+F mix) and '40kg'. Those awards typically also include additional carriers.
My AA awards show no luggage allowance on the QR app and the AA confirmation shows free carry-on only.
I guess I should reach out to AA as well, but we should be fine with the OneWorld luggage benefits alone on our trips. Thank you for the heads-up!

In the past I never had issues checking in numerous pieces of luggage at BKK (with BKK-DOH in F connecting to BER in C), even though the AA award did not show a luggage allowance.
Earlier this year EVA was doing the math, but since we came in a few kg beneath the generous limit we didn't have to pay - it took the better part of 15 minutes, though.

I had no issue with my BER-DOH-ZNZ booking on QR with AA. Guten Flug.

WandertheWorld Jun 20, 2023 2:07 am

Originally Posted by Delta141 (Post 35345091)
Agent69, thank you for sharing your perspective of what constitutes help. I certainly did NOT purchase a first class ticket that had no baggage allowance. Perhaps you know more than I do about my intent and specifics of travel?

Delta141, I for one feel your pain. We are not all experts on airfare rules and, in my opinion, most people purchasing international first class would reasonably expect to check a bag for free or at most a small fee and not be charged such a ridiculous sum just for the privilege. That people are defending the practice is beyond me. I think it is akin to booking a suite in s exclusive part of a five star resort property and learning upon check-in that because of the terms of your booking using the pool will cost you approx 20 percent of the room’s rack rate extra. A customer focused, well trained representative would see the terms but understand that something must be odd about the booking and seek to find a solution before robotically quoting an absurd amount for what most would expect is provided on a complimentary basis. Now, if you have oversized luggage or are trying to lug items that you should reasonably expect to trigger an extra fee, then all bets are off. Same if you showed up as a family of 5 expecting to be shoe horned into a suite meant for two without incurring extra cost.

m0hamed Jun 20, 2023 2:19 am

Originally Posted by Delta141 (Post 35344099)
Here is the short version:

1. Booked two F (saver) one-way awards using AA miles on Qatar Airways between BKK and VIE (routing: BKK DOH, DOH VIE). Booking was made around early April.

QR don't fly F to or from VIE....

Reno1979 Jun 20, 2023 2:20 am

Quick question to Delta141... Do you hold any Oneworld status?

stargold Jun 20, 2023 2:26 am

At the end of the day, check-in agents are told by the computer how many bags are allowed under the ticket. If that is listed as a zero, then unfortunately that's what the check-in agent needs to work with, because the system will be identifying and reporting any non-compliance by the agent.

In other airlines where agents are given more latitude, maybe they will be comfortable to override the system because the agents "should know" that all F tickets come with checked baggage allowance. Unfortunately, this is not the case on QR, because frontline employees have zero discretion and consequences of any deviation to the rules can be severe.

Whether QR's check-in agents need to be more empowered, and how they should manage the messaging of the problem to the passenger, are separate questions from the main issue. Let's not lose sight of the fact that AA is absolutely the origin of the problem, in issuing award tickets which specify 0 checked luggage allowance. This is clearly a bug and can only be addressed by AA - in the meantime, check your tickets carefully once you receive the e-tickets.

Delta141 Jun 20, 2023 3:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta141
Here is the short version:

1. Booked two F (saver) one-way awards using AA miles on Qatar Airways between BKK and VIE (routing: BKK DOH, DOH VIE). Booking was made around early April.
QR don't fly F to or from VIE....

You are correct. Only business class between DOH and VIE.