FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA Qatar Award buyer beware (ensure baggage allowance) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2125676-aa-qatar-award-buyer-beware-ensure-baggage-allowance.html)

236Dakota Jun 20, 2023 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 35348505)
What happened is, when AA reissue a new ticket, the ticket replaced the old ticket, but somehow did not attach to the reservation. This happens often, not just with QR.

What you should do, is whenever AA reissued a ticket, go to the operating airline's website, pull up your reservation - then CHECK the ticket number on the reservation - whether it is the old one or the new one AA reissued. It should be the new one, if the ticket is properly attached. If it remains the old one, then you need to call QR and inform QR that there is a new ticket, give the agent the new ticket number. The agent could hunt it down and then properly attach it. What the AA agent said QR did not know what to do, is not exactly correct, because QR system may not even know AA has reissued the ticket.

So for your return from CPT, just monitor if there is any schedule change / AA reissue ticket - if there is such thing, then make sure QR shows the new ticket on your CPT return reservation.

Except: QR say this has to come from AA, not me. Now on the phone with AA, who is calling One World to straighten it out, hopefully.
And: QR states that the problem is that I didn't get my ticket from them so it is all my fault. Get it from us and no problem. I pointed to the little purple circle on the agents lapel and said:" Isn't that One World? I thought you guys were all in this together so we could travel seamlessly."

Happy Jun 20, 2023 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by 236Dakota (Post 35348641)
Except: QR say this has to come from AA, not me. Now on the phone with AA, who is calling One World to straighten it out, hopefully.
And: QR states that the problem is that I didn't get my ticket from them so it is all my fault. Get it from us and no problem. I pointed to the little purple circle on the agents lapel and said:" Isn't that One World? I thought you guys were all in this together so we could travel seamlessly."

You really believe the Oneworld crap? Seriously? Or this is just a sarcasm?

I dont know how many times I have been saying in this thread that partner award tickets, especially those from AA, are at the rock bottom of QR's Totem pole whenever there are issues to fix. Yeah, they are a member of Oneworld alright...

My suggestion is for you to check if QR shows the reissued ticket number on your Manage Booking display. If it still shows the old ticket, give QR a call - it does not hurt. AA probably has already sent it over but for some mysterious reasons, the reissued tickets are not always automatically replace the old tickets and to attach to the existing reservation.

I am just trying to share my experiences on AA awards QR flights which we have flown at least 10 to 12 times before Covid and 1 time last year. Just your South Africa trip, we have flown that 5 times in the past, starting from QR only flew to JNB... I believe I have learned some quirks after dealing with all kinds of issues with those AA awards than many here.

It is not any more annoying than calling AA to straighten it - depends on your luck, some QR agents would go look further if you can provide the new ticket number, some QR agents would tell you it is none of QR's responsibility. It really is no different from what you would get from a random AAgent.

Kacee Jun 20, 2023 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by Steve M (Post 35345858)
Something I learned from this thread: that baggage allowance is part of the reservation record. In all my years of flying (and reading FT), I've never run into this. I always assumed it was based on the operating carrier's policy in combination with the fare class of the ticket, not with anything specific in the reservation (other than fare class). .

Maybe this is just a OW thing, because with *A, baggage allowance on an award ticket is based on operating carrier policies plus any additional *G allowance. Even when improperly displayed on the reservation.

1kprem Jun 20, 2023 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 35348433)
@1kprem

You can get the full ticket information by using the download or print function, NOT the email function. Email function would only send you an itinerary without ticket number, let alone bag allowance. It is pretty much useless.

These functions are shown as little symbols on the right hand top corner - actually when you pull up the trip, if it is on a PC or laptop, i.e. non mobile device, the old format that had a tab of Print Receipt would flash for a second, then the screen changes to a Mobile device centric display with the 3 little symbols shown on the right hand top corner, an envelop (email), a printer (print), a download symbol.

I just did that with revenue tickets done at ticketing office, hence the system does NOT even send an email confirmation, despite the agent said she sent it. I have done ticketing office or airport counter ticketing in the past, NEVER once I receive a email confirmation. What I received were those voucher stye receipt. In order to get the full details including the ticket number, is to go thru Manage Trip to pull up the trip and get a printable file. I then print it as PDF file.

The receipt has all the details just like what is listed in your initial confirmation email.

I am on a Mac desktop (not mobile device). I pulled up the printable receipt on Manage Trip, this one shows a bar code at the top. Yes, I see the PNR locator, the full itinerary, the ticket number and full cost. There is no mention of bags on this receipt. It's a first/business class ticket on AA from the USA to Mexico. Where is the baggage information supposed to be?

Antarius Jun 20, 2023 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by 1kprem (Post 35349301)
I am on a Mac desktop (not mobile device). I pulled up the printable receipt on Manage Trip, this one shows a bar code at the top. Yes, I see the PNR locator, the full itinerary, the ticket number and full cost. There is no mention of bags on this receipt. It's a first/business class ticket on AA from the USA to Mexico. Where is the baggage information supposed to be?

It doesn't always show up. The original email receipt tends to be more reliable, IME.

The wonders of AA IT at work; the Theranos equivalent of a corporate department.

236Dakota Jun 20, 2023 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 35349154)
You really believe the Oneworld crap? Seriously? Or this is just a sarcasm?

I dont know how many times I have been saying in this thread that partner award tickets, especially those from AA, are at the rock bottom of QR's Totem pole whenever there are issues to fix. Yeah, they are a member of Oneworld alright...

My suggestion is for you to check if QR shows the reissued ticket number on your Manage Booking display. If it still shows the old ticket, give QR a call - it does not hurt. AA probably has already sent it over but for some mysterious reasons, the reissued tickets are not always automatically replace the old tickets and to attach to the existing reservation.

I am just trying to share my experiences on AA awards QR flights which we have flown at least 10 to 12 times before Covid and 1 time last year. Just your South Africa trip, we have flown that 5 times in the past, starting from QR only flew to JNB... I believe I have learned some quirks after dealing with all kinds of issues with those AA awards than many here.

It is not any more annoying than calling AA to straighten it - depends on your luck, some QR agents would go look further if you can provide the new ticket number, some QR agents would tell you it is none of QR's responsibility. It really is no different from what you would get from a random AAgent.

After AA’s intervention (with One World) I now have a QR ticket number, go figure. In any event, all is good now.

riced Jun 20, 2023 11:09 pm

I've called AA twice now for my QR award biz tickets. The first agent was useless, the second agent contacted 'partner desk/baggage' and they said they could see the allowance on their system. However there is no proof they can send me. It is not on my email ticket and it does not show on QR's website when I pull up the booking. How does one get this fixed???

erik123 Jun 21, 2023 1:00 am

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 35348459)
In an ideal world, yes.

In a more practical world, QR treats partner awards at the bottom of its totem pole. There are no small amount of complaints on how when QR needs to bump passengers, those on partner awards got bumped first, just sayin.

In other words, QR is not keen to let partner programs to enjoy its superior products so it only does the minimum required, strictly by the agreements between partners.

I have flown nearly 100 QR long haul flights in business and ground + customer service are deficient whether on an award or paid ticket. Same with EY.

Flying for Fun Jun 21, 2023 2:01 am

Originally Posted by riced (Post 35349628)
I've called AA twice now for my QR award biz tickets. The first agent was useless, the second agent contacted 'partner desk/baggage' and they said they could see the allowance on their system. However there is no proof they can send me. It is not on my email ticket and it does not show on QR's website when I pull up the booking. How does one get this fixed???

Try looking up your reservation on the Malaysian Airlines site. Click on Manage, enter your QR PNR and surname. The luggage allowance should show for each segment in the record.

James

riced Jun 21, 2023 2:45 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun (Post 35349808)
Try looking up your reservation on the Malaysian Airlines site. Click on Manage, enter your QR PNR and surname. The luggage allowance should show for each segment in the record.

James

It does (40kg pp), thank you! Unless someone has a better fix, I'll print out the Malaysian confirmation and hope that is enough. At least I'm not flying out of BKK, but AA really should sort this out...thanks to the OP for alerting us.

erik123 Jun 21, 2023 6:25 am

Originally Posted by riced (Post 35349867)
It does (40kg pp), thank you! Unless someone has a better fix, I'll print out the Malaysian confirmation and hope that is enough. At least I'm not flying out of BKK, but AA really should sort this out...thanks to the OP for alerting us.

Maybe ask AA to put a note in the record. If QR would so so even better but I doubt they will.

mdg4spurs Jun 21, 2023 6:42 am

The Malaysian Airlines trick worked, thanks. I read this as no (blank) checked bags and 2 carry-on bags. Time to call AA.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...14eaf7b3d7.png

Dave Noble Jun 21, 2023 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by mdg4spurs (Post 35350244)
The Malaysian Airlines trick worked, thanks. I read this as no (blank) checked bags and 2 carry-on bags. Time to call AA.

The screenshot shows that you have 50Kg checked baggage allowance which is correct for 1st class. For DOH-AUH , the 2 class service is sold as 1st and Economy, if you are on a business class award, this would be the correct allowance.

Nothing to worry about

FlyingEgghead Jun 21, 2023 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by S.R (Post 35345629)
Curious if the OP had paid the $1500 checked bag fees so they could fly, how much luck they would have had in getting reimbursed by AA because this was a mistake on their end.

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 35345712)
Reread OP's first post. He did not pay but canceled the AA award. At the end they flew another program's award tickets in J.

Seems the reading comprehension issue is Happy's, not S.R's, since it was clearly and legitimately stated as a counterfactual question -- what "would have" happened if OP had made a different choice.

SteveinA2 Jun 21, 2023 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun (Post 35349808)

James

I just checked an upcoming QR AA award and have 2 free checked bags at 32KG - Thanks James for great advice on using Malaysian website. A valuable insight for sure.